• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should the current run by the SEC be considered a dynasty?

bluemoon22

Gator Fan
Should the current run by the SEC be considered a dynasty?

I find this to be a very good question. Should the SEC, as a collective unit, be considered a Dynasty? The link gives many stats that support calling the current SEC run a dynasty. It's a tough question to answer because dynasties are associated with single teams. I think the SEC should. We deserve the recognition of having something special currently occurring that has never occurred before.

robdog

Gator Fan
You can't deny that they are just crushing the NCAA championships in football. It might be a little rough for the next couple of years but the SEC has been dominating over the last decade.

awebbf5

VIP Member
You can't deny that they are just crushing the NCAA championships in football. It might be a little rough for the next couple of years but the SEC has been dominating over the last decade.

Yeah probably the only sec team next year that can make a natl championship run is bama imo.

robdog

Gator Fan
I agree, Bama or LSU. Give this new coaching staff a couple more years and we will be on that list. :)

bluemoon22

Gator Fan
I almost feel as though it is better for college football for someone from another conference to win and to actually beat an SEC Team, not named Florida, in the BCS National Championship. Prior to every big SEC game in 2008, I was nervous as hell that we might lose. However, after the SEC Championship, I was pretty much relaxed and not even worried about the game. I took it for granted we would win (thank God our players didn't).

I know I would hate to be the SEC team that finally does lose in the BCS. It has to happen eventually...please let it be someone other than us.

bluemoon22

Gator Fan
I agree, Bama or LSU. Give this new coaching staff a couple more years and we will be on that list. :)
And I agree with you. We will know if LSU is a true contender after their season opener against Oregon. That game might as well be called a play-off elimination game because the loser will find it very hard, if not impossible, to make into the National Championship Game.

I can't wait to see Muschamp's D once he has it fully implemented. With all of our athletes and speed, it's going to be lights out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry, but this just isn't a big concern of mine. We've ALWAYS played big-time football here in the SEC--it's just that in our wired-up, plugged-in, media-savvy world the rest of the nation's college fans have all been forced to face it, come to terms with it. While I have always felt a certain pride in the level of skill, toughness and stamina that reality demands in our Gators, familiarity also breeds contempt, as they say, limiting the degree to which that pride extends to the other actual schools and programs in the conference.
Their success at the national level ratifies our relative success and once more illustrates the tough road we must annually travel in negotiating our conference schedule (and refutes all claims that any early out-of-conference tune-up games make our overall schedule an "easy" one!), but beyond that I really don't care that much about how well or badly the rest of them do EXCEPT as to how it relates to OUR standing, reputation and relative strength-of-schedule--and, hopefully, our own quest for a higher ranking (with an eye ultimately towards a national championship, of course).
As for the next year or two, I don't know if the SEC will continue to hold a monopoly-like grip on the top spot, but meanwhile, is it a "dynasty"? I'm not sure that term applies to a whole conference, and in the end, I don't give a damn. It is a remarkable streak, albeit one that is bound to be broken at some point. I have no doubt that several of our teams will be in the race, though, and that for the foreseeable future the cream of the conference will almost HAVE to be considered as a participant in the ultimate game. Moreover, I expect the Gators to be one of those teams, THE team representing the SEC in the BCS Championship by 2012.
It is for this reason, and this reason ONLY that I care about the other SEC schools and their performance on Saturdays. Otherwise, for all I care they can all go hang.
Go Gators!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I am very pleased with the success. 5 in a row with 4 different teams. It is likely that no other conference is going to touch that ever. I want this dominance to continue, and I believe we still have a chance next year. Bama and LSU as mentioned. But don't count out Florida and Auburn. I'm not putting them as favorites, but you can't be surprised if any of those four teams make it to a BCS game.

Oregon's program does worry me, they are starting to put together SEC speed and taking all the recruits from the west coast away from the other Pac teams.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
We as a fanbase and as a conference tend to associate ourselves as one more so than other conferences. It helps that most of our teams are within driving distance, so the players can travel cheap and the fans can drive/car pool/ caravan/ tailgate together. That closeness unites us, makes rivalries interesting, and makes us different from most conferences. Without all that, we would not be able to collectively gather the successes of Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and LSU under one umbrella dynasty.

I doubt other conferences will be able to duplicate the feat, nor do I think that other conferences are united enough emotionally to collectively claim a dynasty.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, I admit it--there IS something more to that connection between the schools of the SEC, the whole regional, strong state-based affiliations and rivalries that both divide and unite us that makes it MUCH more a coherent whole than most of the others. We all know it's there; I have felt it ever since I began following college football (and the Florida Gators in particular) when I was very young. I feel the bond--but I STILL don't LIKE the rest of 'em all that much!
Talk about ambivalence: I guess I'm proud of the SEC, brag on 'em wherever else I've lived and/or traveled, BUT will be damned before you'll catch me chanting "SEC" at another member's championship victory!!!

Escambia94

OK, I admit it--there IS something more to that connection between the schools of the SEC, the whole regional, strong state-based affiliations and rivalries that both divide and unite us that makes it MUCH more a coherent whole than most of the others. We all know it's there; I have felt it ever since I began following college football (and the Florida Gators in particular) when I was very young. I feel the bond--but I STILL don't LIKE the rest of 'em all that much!
Talk about ambivalence: I guess I'm proud of the SEC, brag on 'em wherever else I've lived and/or traveled, BUT will be damned before you'll catch me chanting "SEC" at another member's championship victory!!!

If I were dragged to any other SEC team's championship game (maybe after winning tickets), I would chant "SEC". Watching a game on TV around non-SEC fans I will even learn fellow SEC team chants, just as many fellow Gator fans I know will do. Big 12ish fans would never be caught dead yelling "Big 12" or doing anything for a rival. Big 10ish and Pac-10ish are the same.

Going to games at SEC stadiums or neutral sites, rival SEC fans at the games are usually very sociable as long as you are nice to them. The worst experience I ever had was engaging Cincinnati fans at the Sugar Bowl. After talking to other Big East fans and tOSU fans it seems this is a big deal up there, for fans in that area to be jerks.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They just made a poor choice, a terrible mistake perhaps born of ignorance and/or the misfortune of birth in the wrong place. Individually these folks are fine; we have much in common--but collectively they are a dangerous mob that must be beaten into submission, right?
(I've got tongue planted firmly in cheek here, but even I'M not sure where my humor stops and my true feelings begin...)

Escambia94

I have seen the t-shirt that reads, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God." It was not too much of a stretch to substitute in "SEC".

EvoX

Gator Fan
Bama will be the beacon of the SEC next year (of course I thought that this year also), and I think LSU will be a close second. Although Arkansas and Auburn are losing some monster talent, both should be top 25 teams. As much as I hate to admit it, Georgia may be in the running as well. They did their part to stink up the SEC East last year, but they definitely have talent. And let's not count out Mullen and Spurrier. They tasted blood last year and they're not likely to go away soon. Plus who knows how the ol' ball coach is going to use those studs he picked up this recruiting year.

I think we're about to see the SEC as a whole take it up a level. There will continue to be a large number of SEC teams in the top 25, but I don't think we'll be in the NC next year. Too many people don't want us there (and rightfully so, sadly it'll be Ohio State and Oklahoma or something like that :death:) and I think they will be looking for any chance to keep us out. The SEC hatred out there makes my teeth hurt. Do I think we're going to blow out teams come December and January? No, maybe not for a few years. But we're going to continue to increase our stock and attractiveness to these young recruits who will be drawn to a home in the south. Hopefully we'll reach an 80-100% win percentage in bowl games in the next few years with 8-10 teams appearing yearly. To me that'll be when we can call ourselves a dynasty.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I too am realistic regarding our outlook the coming season: NOT a championship year, not even an SEC Championship (though we MIGHT make it to Atlanta, if everything "fell our way"). We'll have our ups and downs, especially early in the year, but I see us steadily improving, especially on offense (we'll be strong on "D" from the start and only get better) as we gain experience and come together. Barring a slew of major injuries I think we'll be at the brink of being really good, a full-on, balanced TEAM by the time we host SOW in the Swamp. I can't say exactly how all of this will translate into wins and losses over all in 2011, but I remain highly confident in our prospects for 2012.

Escambia94

That is the key--balance. We lacked it last year despite supposedly having everything else. For a spread offense we did not spread the ball well, other than giving everyone a chance at QB. At the very least it will be fun to watch the team grow. It just was not fun last year. I heard lots of reports of players not getting along, players defecting, some even thinking of mutiny. I cannot verify how true the reports are, but the on-field performance showed it. Even the Gator Walk and the parade at Homecoming showed something was wrong. The only happy players were Ahmad Black and Trey Burton--and they performed well. Everyone who walked around like angry zombies did not perform well, or was average.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema