• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEC 2009: Who, What, When, Where, and Why

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Let me ask you a personal question - do you just post here to promote Bleacher Report? All your posts seem to have a link to an article you've written over there.

(Oh, and another thing: Cut all the "Meyer to Notre Dame" bullshit. Coach isn't going anywhere; he and his wife Shelley have made it clear that they are AT HOME in Gainesville and have no plans to leave. Famous lame rumor that rivals and the rumor-mongers with nothing constructive to do with their lives than to start trouble in cyberspace love to throw in the faces of Gator fans, but doesn't hold water. If that's the best that you can do, I suggest you leave Florida and our fanbase alone.

And BTW, what will you and the others be saying if Charlie Weis has a winning season in 2009? Better be ready to assume the position and take it.)

(Oh, and another thing: Cut all the "Meyer to Notre Dame" bullshit. Coach isn't going anywhere; he and his wife Shelley have made it clear that they are AT HOME in Gainesville and have no plans to leave. Famous lame rumor that rivals and the rumor-mongers with nothing constructive to do with their lives than to start trouble in cyberspace love to throw in the faces of Gator fans, but doesn't hold water. If that's the best that you can do, I suggest you leave Florida and our fanbase alone.

)

Lets see, where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah.....

On Nov. 24, Deseret Morning News writer Dick Facer reported of Meyer, "He denies any contact has been made." Meyer said, "I'm not out looking, so if someone's waiting for me to pick up the phone, it's not going to happen."

"I plan on coaching at Utah next year. There's been no contact made. Period. It's almost comical. We're playing the biggest game in the history of the school and we're talking about that. That's nothing to do with nothing. [Shelley Meyer served her employer 2-weeks notice the next day.]"
Source: Deseret News, November 17, 2004

"Wrote Antony A Engligh, "Shelley will be heavily involved in Meyer's next move. 'She's a coach's wife, that's what she does for a living,' Bud Meyer said. 'It's a big job. It's a job that she (wants) to be informed, but she does a very good job.'""
Source: St. Petersburg Times, November 17, 2004

"There's been no contact and I really don't anticipate any. I'm certainly not looking for a job. I love where I'm coaching."
Source: Deseret News, November 18, 2004

"When asked by a young boy if he was going to be the coach next year, Urban replied very directly, 'I plan on being the coach at the University of Utah next year.'"
Source: Urban Meyer Coach's Show, November 18, 2004

"As long as I'm married, I'll be the coach at Utah. [exact date unknown, source is a local sports show]"
Source: Memory, November 20, 2004

"Though Meyer is frequently mentioned as a candidate for more lucurative coaching jobs, he denies any contact has been made. 'I'm not out looking, so if someone's waiting for me to pick up the phone it's not going to happen,' said Meyer. And there's little chance of that over the next four days. Meyer plans to turn his telephone off over the holiday break while he spends lost time with his family. He isn't expecting a lot of calls, anyhow. Word is out that he loves Utah, Meyer explained, and schools are funny about that. Despite speculation to the contrary, including a Florida fan-based Web site that reported a deal with Meyer has already been reached, the coach insists he represents himself. And that no talks have taken place. 'I don't have an agent. People are trying to get me to have one, but I'm just not comfortable with that kind of stuff,' said Meyer. 'I'm coaching my team and taking care of my family.'"
Source: Deseret News, November 24, 2004

"[When asked about Florida:] No. I have no real comment. All I keep saying is I plan on being the coach here at Utah."
Source: Deseret News, November 30, 2004

There is a difference between Florida and Utah.

It's almost identical to the Les Miles situation a year ago... he stayed.

It's gonna be the same thing with Meyer.

" Four years after spurning Notre Dame to take over the Florida Gators program, Coach Urban Meyer called the Fighting Irish "still my dream job; that hasn't changed" on a South Florida radio show on Wednesday.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Well, look who shows up again, our resident Forrest Gump. The wanna be, broke down Finebaum. Her little seldomly read BLOG must be falling in readership (all 5 of them) and seems she is trying to drum up hits on that POS site. :sign0073:

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Lets see, where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah.....

On Nov. 24, Deseret Morning News writer Dick Facer reported of Meyer, "He denies any contact has been made." Meyer said, "I'm not out looking, so if someone's waiting for me to pick up the phone, it's not going to happen."

"I plan on coaching at Utah next year. There's been no contact made. Period. It's almost comical. We're playing the biggest game in the history of the school and we're talking about that. That's nothing to do with nothing. [Shelley Meyer served her employer 2-weeks notice the next day.]"
Source: Deseret News, November 17, 2004

"Wrote Antony A Engligh, "Shelley will be heavily involved in Meyer's next move. 'She's a coach's wife, that's what she does for a living,' Bud Meyer said. 'It's a big job. It's a job that she (wants) to be informed, but she does a very good job.'""
Source: St. Petersburg Times, November 17, 2004

"There's been no contact and I really don't anticipate any. I'm certainly not looking for a job. I love where I'm coaching."
Source: Deseret News, November 18, 2004

"When asked by a young boy if he was going to be the coach next year, Urban replied very directly, 'I plan on being the coach at the University of Utah next year.'"
Source: Urban Meyer Coach's Show, November 18, 2004

"As long as I'm married, I'll be the coach at Utah. [exact date unknown, source is a local sports show]"
Source: Memory, November 20, 2004

"Though Meyer is frequently mentioned as a candidate for more lucurative coaching jobs, he denies any contact has been made. 'I'm not out looking, so if someone's waiting for me to pick up the phone it's not going to happen,' said Meyer. And there's little chance of that over the next four days. Meyer plans to turn his telephone off over the holiday break while he spends lost time with his family. He isn't expecting a lot of calls, anyhow. Word is out that he loves Utah, Meyer explained, and schools are funny about that. Despite speculation to the contrary, including a Florida fan-based Web site that reported a deal with Meyer has already been reached, the coach insists he represents himself. And that no talks have taken place. 'I don't have an agent. People are trying to get me to have one, but I'm just not comfortable with that kind of stuff,' said Meyer. 'I'm coaching my team and taking care of my family.'"
Source: Deseret News, November 24, 2004

"[When asked about Florida:] No. I have no real comment. All I keep saying is I plan on being the coach here at Utah."
Source: Deseret News, November 30, 2004

And what's your point?

And what about the plugging of Bleacher Report? I asked you a question - I DEMAND AN ANSWER!!!!!!!!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Well, look who shows up again, our resident Forrest Gump. The wanna be, broke down Finebaum. Her little seldomly read BLOG must be falling in readership (all 5 of them) and seems she is trying to drum up hits on that POS site. :sign0073:

Speaking of that little ewok Finebaum, that little UcheaT-alum POS stirs up more crap on purpose: http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/his_lips_moved_meyer_probably.html

Check out that one response from one "PDOriginal" who hits the nail on the head; I wish I could post it here but it's too long.

Buddy Martin to the rescue again; he knows Meyer much better than that other puke up there in Bama: http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/finebaums_storm_not_even_a_drizzle/6657

Everybody knows how much I hate rumor-mongers, and I hope more true Gator fans reply to that piece of drivel and tear Finebum a new one. Have at it, gang, and don't hold back!

Paul Finebaum

Paul Finebaum

Although I agree that Finebaum is an idiot, I do not agree that Meyer will stay at Florida.

Put yourself in his position___ you have just won back to back NC, you are losing the reason you won those NCs (Tebow) and Florida is not you dream job. The truth you would have to face is this___ you can't go up from here, you can only go down.

Do you stay at Florida and shoot for a very, very impossible (without Tebow) third NC? Or do you head to your "dream job" and write more history?

I think any sane person knows the answer to those questions.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Well, I'm glad we can agree on something. It proved to be a mental chore to read your previous diatribes.
You will be proven wrong in your assertion that Coach will be leaving (your implication is sooner rather than later). Oh, lest I forget, we also agree about sane persons knowing the answers to those questions.
In answer to winning championships because of Tebow, is wrong just on face value. You know that the game is played by 11 to a side and not just one (albeit TT will prove to be the Greatest One Ever). As far as going for another NC the following season, of course we will be going for it, we will most likely be defending Champions. Meyer will make history in the SEC and after TT, will march towards more Championships led by the first of many to follow Tebow, John Brantley.
BTW, if you haven't read too much on him yet, you can start with an earlier post from today on JB, HERE.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Although I agree that Finebaum is an idiot, I do not agree that Meyer will stay at Florida.

Put yourself in his position___ you have just won back to back NC, you are losing the reason you won those NCs (Tebow) and Florida is not you dream job. The truth you would have to face is this___ you can't go up from here, you can only go down.

Do you stay at Florida and shoot for a very, very impossible (without Tebow) third NC? Or do you head to your "dream job" and write more history?

One as much Tebow is a legend in G-Ville, it wasn't just him. Gators also had Percy and Defense (2006 and 2008) and Running backs in 2008. Not to mention didn't Chris Leak lead the Gators in 2006 though Tebow was a key weapon during that season. Plus last I checked he's getting top players here. Also why would you leave the state of Florida where they have top football talent here? If anything I hope he does the 2010 season as Gators HC and wait until his second daughter graduates HS then decide to stay or go.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

Look, as much as you rival fans and the rest of the media want Meyer gone after the 2009 season, it's not going to happen.

For one thing, the Notre Dame job isn't vacant. If Charlie Weis comes through with a winning season, which looks likely given the Irish's light schedule, he won't be going anywhere. Based on the way they beat Hawai'i in their bowl game last December, the quality of their incoming Class of 2009 and favorable reports from their spring practice, the arrow points in Weis' favor - he knows the ball's in his court and I don't think he's going to "commit an unforced error".

Also, have you ever heard the name John Brantley? If you really follow the SEC that well, that name shouldn't be strange to you. He's Tim Tebow's heir-apparent, and believe it or not can hold his own out there. Florida Football won't be a thing of the past once Tebow graduates; Brantley has a LOT of upside, has damn good accuracy and velocity when it comes to the throwing game, and can operate Meyer's spread-option scheme. If you watched the Gators in action during the 2008 season, Brantley played in the closing minutes of many of Florida's games and was productive out there. (Shows that Florida fans know more about their team than rivals think they do.)

Most important, Meyer puts his FAMILY above everything. His job at Florida allows him to balance his duties as a head coach with his family not having to take a back seat - there's a saying I've heard that goes "Never work for your job; your job has to work for you". The Florida head coaching position indeed works for Urban Meyer; quality time with his family doesn't have to be compromised because of the obligations of his contract as far as recruiting duties and personal appearances go. He wouldn't be extended the same courtesy up in South Bend.

Meyer has the chance to build Florida football above and beyond the level that Steve Spurrier brought it to; Notre Dame has already established itself. If you really want to look at it, WHY would Meyer want to make what amounts to a parallel move, uproot his family against the wishes of his wife and children, and be forced to start from scratch again? That doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Why walk away from one of the best opportunities that exists in Gainesville? WHY begrudge Meyer for having a "family first" credo?

Media types like Paul Finebaum, Peter Kerasotis and others of their ilk are so desperate for either readers or a listening audience that they'll stir up controversy and unsubstantiated rumors to do just that. They're only trying to draw attention to themselves, but little do they know that they're damaging their reputations (and probably don't give a rat's ass, either.) A SANE and INTELLIGENT person can read between the lines and see that that's their clear motive - nothing more, nothing less. Only FOOLS fall for and believe all their nonsense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema