• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Reliable Source told me....

Gator_Chomp87

Gator Fan
Yes I am a new member to this forum but I read this almost everyday and Ive grown up a Gator fan. But I have a very reliable source that informed me that Urban Meyer has been offered a job by Notre Dame. If you do not know about how ND tried to get Urban before hiring weis, that urban said this himself.."Notre Dame is my dream job". If you didnt know this, Urban once coached under Holtz at ND for almost 5 years. But He decided to pick the Florida job over ND because his wife wanted him to stay close to home because of their kids. Urban didnt want to go far to recruit, so thats why he chose Florida. But now that his oldest is going to attend GT this next year and both of the younger kids are in school, Urban is getting bored at Florida.

Again this is from a very very reliable source that stated ND has offered him a HC position and Urban will probably take it.

Take it for what its worth.

GO GATORS!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Yes I am a new member to this forum but I read this almost everyday and Ive grown up a Gator fan. But I have a very reliable source that informed me that Urban Meyer has been offered a job by Notre Dame. If you do not know about how ND tried to get Urban before hiring weis, that urban said this himself.."Notre Dame is my dream job". If you didnt know this, Urban once coached under Holtz at ND for almost 5 years. But He decided to pick the Florida job over ND because his wife wanted him to stay close to home because of their kids. Urban didnt want to go far to recruit, so thats why he chose Florida. But now that his oldest is going to attend GT this next year and both of the younger kids are in school, Urban is getting bored at Florida.

Again this is from a very very reliable source that stated ND has offered him a HC position and Urban will probably take it.

Take it for what its worth.

GO GATORS!

Your first post, and you start rumors already? Not good form.

And BTW, WHO is your so-called "reliable source"?

Sounds like you're taking your info from articles written in the media.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Well my reliable sources tell me that UM leaving for nd would be like........
"Brad Pitt giving up Angelina Jolie to move in with Kathy Griffin"
"Pete Carroll leaving USC to coach Purdue"
"Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma to Coach Navy"

"Hugh giving up the Mansion for a retirement home".
Any more additions?

inthestands

Gator Fan
There is no way Urban would leave for ND. He wrote that ND was his dream job before he ever got to Florida. You can't get any better than where he is now. He can pretty much recruit from home, he is at the best school in the world (in my opinion) and Notre Dame will not match what Florida would pay to keep him. Not only that, but if he were bored at Florida, he would not go to ND for a tougher schedule. He would pretty much have to go to the NFL and I think he is smart enough to realize that his Offense wouldn't work there. Is the person that posted this even a Gator fan? Gator fans are usually more rational than this. Don't mean to be so critical on my first post.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
There is no way Urban would leave for ND. He wrote that ND was his dream job before he ever got to Florida. You can't get any better than where he is now. He can pretty much recruit from home, he is at the best school in the world (in my opinion) and Notre Dame will not match what Florida would pay to keep him. Not only that, but if he were bored at Florida, he would not go to ND for a tougher schedule. He would pretty much have to go to the NFL and I think he is smart enough to realize that his Offense wouldn't work there. Is the person that posted this even a Gator fan? Gator fans are usually more rational than this. Don't mean to be so critical on my first post.

You made a valid point, and BTW great first post.

One of the reasons Coach Meyer chose Florida over Notre Dame was due to the ease of recruiting - not only because of the availability of talent in a closer radius to Gainesville as opposed to Notre Dame's being nationwide, but also he had legitimate misgivings about recruits qualifying for admission at ND due to their tough academic standards.

If there are any other developments involving Charlie Weis between now and next Monday, you can bet that Jeremy Foley and Dr. Machen are aware of what's going on and all the rumors floating around - and will make a diligent effort to keep Meyer in Gainesville. I'm sure Shelley Meyer doesn't want to uproot her family again, either - even though their oldest girl Nicki is leaving for college next fall she still has Gigi at home heading into her junior year of high school and their son Nate. Urban has stressed the importance of his family life and balancing that with his career - another reason why he chose Florida.

Except for some members of the lunatic fringe, Meyer has made himself endeared to Gator Nation. After the disaster with Zook he turned our football program around for the better, and if we win this weekend against Bama and head once again to the National Championship he'll take it a step further.

And for those media imbeciles getting on their high-horse about a so-called "window" in Meyer's contract, there is also a stipulation that he must "provide Athletic Director with written notice prior to contract discussion or negotiation", so you can bet that Foley would throw a counter-punch to keep Meyer in The Swamp. (FWIW, here's a link to a copy of Meyer's contract, albeit his first one: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_contracts07/pdfs2007/florida_fb.pdf )

AND - as a rebuttal to some of the crap that was written by another sportswriter spinning a story his own way based on a very good bio of Urban Meyer that I've read several times already, the book's author, Buddy Martin, offered this response:

"Really, folks, you have taken an article written by a friend of mine who extrapolated a few facts from my book, "Urban's Way," added some of his own theory and produced that Meyer is leaving for Notre Dame. No, that isn' t to happen -- not now, maybe never. It's pure speculation and everything I know leads me to believe that Urban plans to finish this five years of his contract and then make an evaluation of his life -- not just his coaching career. This has all been skewed by opinion which has somehow morphed into fact. I assure you that if Charlie Weis gets fired or quit, ND will have to go shopping somewhere else for a coach."

IMHO Jack Swarbrick (the Notre Dame AD) should give Weis one more year to turn things around in South Bend. Based on what I've read, Weis has made improvements in other aspects of the Irish football program in spite of the sub-par performance of the past two years. One thing many of these media blowhards overlook is the fact that Weis' 2008 team is top-heavy with inexperienced freshmen and sophomores who can improve. One recommendation: Weis should make some changes as far as his assistants go in areas needing the biggest improvement. Rome wasn't built in a day, and it takes time to rebuild a football program.

In the meantime, I'm taking all this scuttlebutt with a grain of salt.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan

"Really, folks, you have taken an article written by a friend of mine who extrapolated a few facts from my book, "Urban's Way," added some of his own theory and produced that Meyer is leaving for Notre Dame. No, that isn' t to happen -- not now, maybe never. It's pure speculation and everything I know leads me to believe that Urban plans to finish this five years of his contract and then make an evaluation of his life -- not just his coaching career. This has all been skewed by opinion which has somehow morphed into fact. I assure you that if Charlie Weis gets fired or quit, ND will have to go shopping somewhere else for a coach."

In the meantime, I'm taking all this scuttlebutt with a grain of salt.
That's what I'm talking about ..........
"It would be like David Letterman deciding to co-host Entertainment Tonight."
I know there are some better comparisons....

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
That's what I'm talking about ..........
"It would be like David Letterman deciding to co-host Entertainment Tonight."
I know there are some better comparisons....

Based on what I read at another board, Colin Cowherd lambasted some jerk at the Chicago Tribune who was trying to stir the pot on his radio show.

Another reason why I hope Meyer stays in Gainesville - the Chicago sportswriters at times are beyond just scathing; they can be downright ruthless if some athlete or coach doesn't measure up to their standards. He doesn't let the media faze him at all, but he doesn't need to put up with all their BS.

(And as a side note to all this media bullcrap - remember what trouble they caused with all the Les Miles to Michigan rumors last year. That's why I have a distaste for much of the media.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Thanks O-town, your post made me feel better though I wait until want happens after the Weis meeting before I can rest easy. I don't think He'll move before his 2nd kid goes to college. I think you're right about Foley knowing the situation and keeping tabs on it. Plus I also heard that ND is a young team and their graduation rates are good and Weis has done a good job of recruiting. I think he'll stay another year I hope.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Thanks O-town, your post made me feel better though I wait until want happens after the Weis meeting before I can rest easy. I don't think He'll move before his 2nd kid goes to college. I think you're right about Foley knowing the situation and keeping tabs on it. Plus I also heard that ND is a young team and their graduation rates are good and Weis has done a good job of recruiting. I think he'll stay another year I hope.

It all comes down to weighing the pros and cons.

Notre Dame lost some key playmakers when players like Brady Quinn, Jeff Samardija and Rhema McKnight graduated, and obviously it's taking longer for the Irish to reload and rebuild - not to sound repetitive, but also keep in mind that their academic requirements are a LOT tougher than those of public universities. Weis is out there recruiting and has brought in some decent classes, but as much as he's mainly accountable for the outcome on the field, so are his assistants to whom he's delegating responsibility - as far as I can see and from what I've seen of ND this season therein lies the problem.

Jimmy Clausen has some upside, but he's in need of some serious coaching up, as is the rest of their team on both sides of the ball.

As far as the other factors go - such as team GPA, graduation rate, off-campus occurrences and other positives Weis has accomplished at South bend, these sway into the "pro" column.

Keep in mind that when the final decision was made here at UF to fire Zook back in October 2004, the "big picture" was evaluated and not just "Fratgate" or the Miss. State loss as the sole deciding factors. As we know the cons outweighed the pros and the decision was made to let Zook go.

For a good perspective on why Weis should be given one more year at Notre Dame, here is Matt Hayes' take on the situation: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=490805

If in the worst-case scenario we ever did lose Urban Meyer to another school, I'd want to see Machen & Foley go after Bob Stoops with the best offer they could make to bring him back to Gainesville.

All this media crap gets tiresome, and what really sucks is that it's distracting to Florida AND Coach Meyer, especially knowing we're preparing for a crucial game this Saturday.

Still, it's all speculation until next Monday, and then hopefully all this BS can be put to bed.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
This reminds me of when Billy Donovan to Kentucky rumors surfaced right before the Final Four.

I think if Urban is going anywhere... it's the NFL. No way he goes to ND.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema