• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Our problems = BRANTLEY

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Its officiall the brantley bandwagon has fell apart.....He is def NOT living up to the hype we have heard all last year and last summer.....Will he ever start being accurate?It seems every ball is too high or too low...and the offensive line is doing a good job protecting him, he doesnt have to scramble around...so whats the prob?

btw this is NOT a trash brantley thread...we cant live n the past and he is our future for 2 years....I just want to know what is going wrong, he was supposed to b a superior passer with an nfl arm..havent seen it.

jhale

Gator Fan
Most of that hype was unwarranted from the get go. People expected UF's offense to pick up where it left off in 2008 without consdering the magnitude of the personnel losses this team suffered the past 2 years, aside from the QB position. We have lost Murphy, Ingram, Harvin, Cooper, Nelson, and Hernandez to the NFL, no teams can lose that much talent at WR and TE and not miss a beat.

Brantley looked rough in the opener, as did the entire team. But the last 2 weeks he's done a solid job IMO considering he's making his 2nd and 3rd start. He was okay versus USF, we had several dropped passes in that game. And versus Tennessee he looked good, especially in the 2nd half.

I think he'll continue to get better as the season goes on and we get more WRs on the field. The targets Brantley would be most effective with right now IMO are Thompson, Moore, Hammond, Hines, and Reed. I thought he did an excellent job versus Tennessee, especially on 3rd down and long, UF converted at least 4 3rd and longs. I think the play calling could help out some, playaction passing on 1st down and throwing the ball from under cented could really expand the offense.

And some of those high passes are where you want them to be, especially the out pass to Moore in the 4th quarter, he's a big target and the DB was in good coverage. He did miss some throws but he made some impressive throws, his overthrow of Reed was perfect because UT had a DB cut underneath that would've picked the ball off. The offense is still a work in progess though, but his checking down to the backs have been nice, at least he's getting rid of the ball.

According to the Palm Beach Post, Brantley was 11 of 12 on 3rd down for 88 yards and a TD. He threw for 1st downs on 3rd and 15, 11, 9, 8, 8, 7, 6, 3. That's an excellent job for a QB making his first road start.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I wouldn't start jumping to this conclusion yet. As I've stated before, Brantley is having rhythm issues because of the snapping situation with Pouncey. It takes his focus off reading coverages so he has to dump off to the short routes. But so far he's done exactly what the coaches have wanted. He's made some big third down conversions and hasn't thrown any interceptions. His stats are going to be low because our offensive coordinator is focused on establishing the run. He's basically using Brantley the way Saban uses his quarterbacks.

The Zooker

VIP Member
His stats are also skewed by the fact that our defense and special teams give him pretty short fields to work with.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I actually feel Brantley is scapegoating himself on our team's problems. When questioned by the media he always gives the safe answer that will cause the least controversy. He is trying to fly under the radar. He says we aren't passing the ball because the running game is working so well. He says there are bad snaps because he hurries the offense. He says nothing is wrong with the offense because we are still winning games. He is trying not to ruffle any feathers. If anybody misreads these comments to think the problem is with Brantley then they are sorely mistaken. The problem is not with Brantley. The problem is with his center and with his coaching. I'm not saying these issues can't be fixed. But I'm not going to hide under a rock and say these issues don't exist.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I'll come to Brantley's defense on this one. We have not seen enough of him to formulate a positive or negative assessment of his skill. Also, he is constrained by the plays that the coaches give him, and the play as it unfolds on the field.

Wayne Peace was the most famous QB to wear #15 until some guy named Tebow came on the scene. Peace was a good QB, but he was never asked to throw the ball more than 10 yards. Can you say "West Coast Offense"? Brantley may be the next Wayne Peace--a gifted QB that is stuck with an offense that wins games but does nothing to pad that NFL resume. Maybe there are provisions to open up the playbook, but we have other issues that are preventing the coaches from going to page two of the playbook, the same pages that would unleash the dragon in Brantley.

Who knows what is going on? Let's sit back and watch, take it in, and enjoy...until we get embarrassed and can we jump up and say "told you so". The good news is that Brantley's numbers are not big enough for scouts to want him to leave this year, so I, for one, look forward to an aerial attack next year based on the QBs we will have, the experience we will gain, and the new threats from the new players. Coming back to this year, I'll take my 3-0 and shut up for a little while and give our QB a chance.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
If Pouncey could snap the ball properly every time, I'm sure Brantley would be doing better.

If you want someone to blame on offense, it's Pouncey.

sbq80

VIP Member
Sticky this thread.

Brantley will be just fine, maybe even great and soon the haters will be kissing his butt.

ShortBus

VIP Member
I dunno the way he was sailing balls over everyones head last Saturday... I'm ready to jump off the bandwagon. he definitely hasn't impressed me much lately... sure hope he gets better.

Hi Guys my first post so I'll try to be concise. I believe the percieved problems we are seeing on offense are a combination of things. 1.) the o-line was without 2 starters so I think that weighed heavily on Pouncey trying to offset the lack of experience and he just tried too hard. 2.) Expectations on Brantley weighed heavily on him and the wide recievers, it seems as all the games wore on the offense has gotten better. 3.) Finally the O-line starters were back against UT they were rusty and/or anxious. I was happy to see Moore acting like he wants to be the reciever we all thought he would be.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It's all part of the plan. We don't want to give away our secret weapon before the SEC championship, since it is a 100% given that with this level of play we are a shoo-in for the SEC East. (Sarcasm).

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Sticky this thread.

Brantley will be just fine, maybe even great and soon the haters will be kissing his butt.

dunno if this was at me, but im not hatin, i just expected him to be some amazing accurate qb from everything u hear and i think he has thrown mayb 2 accurated pass so far...im not hatin, disappointed is more like it

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
It's all part of the plan. We don't want to give away our secret weapon before the SEC championship, since it is a 100% given that with this level of play we are a shoo-in for the SEC East. (Sarcasm).

LOL HAHAHAHAHA.....for real, thats what we heard all last year when we were just squeeking by hahaha "we arent showing all our tricks just yet...'....YA RIGHT ADAZIO HAHAHA

The Zooker

VIP Member

Is the secret play the Dive left instead of the Dive right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema