• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OK Brantley needs to go.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
****! ****! ***! I hate you mother ****er! Calming down...... Happy new year, Gator Nation!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah--same as the old year, Brantley-wise....actually, "same..." GATOR-wise!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As I say, I THINK Reed's out, maybe for the game if it's a concussion (thankyou once again, Steve Addazio, this time for running him into the teeth of that Big Ten line on the Dive--A**hole).
Now me, I'd go with Burton the rest of the way--that's how much faith I have in Brantley...but given who are in charge of those decisions (for one last game: not exactly sad to see 'em go, are we now?), if Reed IS out, you can count on it being a steady dose of John Brantley the rest of the way.
If so, I ask you all to watch as much as you can stomach, and ask yourselves, "Wouldn't #12 leaving be the perfect third addition to the "less-is-more" equation that gives us all hope for a Gator Return-To-Greatness?"
(Which is my convoluted way of saying, "Get da bum outta heeah!" Geez, I'm startin' to catch a buzz..)

I agree DRU hopefully Reed is fine. Brantley was built up to much and now I am sure he will get the majority of the snaps in the second half just because....

Maybe he will realize how much of gator nation is not behind him and leave..

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The way I see it, Muschamp (or more to the point, WEISS) will give him the chance to WIN the starting job if he stays, but NO PROMISES--which may be enough to "chase" him outta here; after all, he's had it handed to him again and again and, putting aside the fact that he has failed to seize any of those opportunities, indeed has failed to rise to ANY challenge, it's all just a part of this "lack of heart" we've all witnessed. That and his total lack of leadership skills (he'll NEVER be mistaken for a "Field General") predict an inclination to "move on" (as in "run away") when faced with THIS kind of throw-down...Again: he's welcome to come back and TRY to prove us all wrong, but I not only don't believe he would manage it, I doubt if HE believes it either--at the very least, I think he fears having to go after it straight up, and it wouldn't surprise me if he bailed instead.
In which case, final straw: good riddance.

Escambia94

For those who want statistical proof that JB4 sucks (as if we need THAT), check out my updated post on "History is not on John Brantley's side". No matter how you slice it, JB4 has underperformed and ranks in the bottom 5th percentile of all Gator quarterbacks.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
im not writing him off completely although i know im in the minority. he has no confidence and he seems confused and they didnt help him with the offense at all. if charlie weis comes to florida he'll help brantley. hes excellent with QB's and brantley has the physical tools, its just the mental aspect and accuracy he needs to work on.

Escambia94

im not writing him off completely although i know im in the minority. he has no confidence and he seems confused and they didnt help him with the offense at all. if charlie weis comes to florida he'll help brantley. hes excellent with QB's and brantley has the physical tools, its just the mental aspect and accuracy he needs to work on.

Yeah. You are right. I did consider that in my other post. Regardless of the excuses, he now ranks amongst the bottom 5th percentile of all Gator QBs. Weis can dig his stats out of the toilet. Then again, what if JB4 is already broken? No matter what offense we have been in, he is skittish when a spread-option pocket or a pro-style-ish pocket starts to close. Weis' offense will require him to stand tall in that pocket, and take some licks in the chops when the d-line comes nose-over the center to stuff the leading FB. That's pro-style football.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's sort of like when a "kid" is no longer a "kid", he's an adult and it doesn't matter how "society failed him" or any of that--by now, he's a "bad guy", he screwed up AND got caught, people have been hurt and he has to pay the consequences.
So it is with playing QB in bigtime college football: I won't belabor the admittedly below-the-belt analogy, but I'm sure y'all get the point--JB's a big boy now; it doesn't matter how we got here, who may have "failed" him or any of that; he entered the arena knowingly, and repeatedly screwed up for all the world to see; he must pay the consequences, and those include no promises and very little benefit of the doubt.
At this point, he would have to be MUCH BETTER than everyone else to even get a shot, and he'd STILL be on that proverbial "VERY short leash".
I don't think you can overstate the liability his PROVEN "lack of heart" is from the Coaches' P.O.V. going into their inaugural season of what Chomp himself has already described as having "no 5- or even 3-year plan". They aim to start winning NOW, building toward another championship with each step "starting immediately".
That plan does not, CAN not include a "broken QB". If JB intends to be the starting quarterback for the Florida Gators in 2011, he better somehow FIX HIMSELF in the next 6 weeks or so. I have no idea how that can happen, but do you really think Weiss, for some unknown, unfathomable reason is going to follow Addazio and Meyer's failed plan, banging HIS head against the empirical wall and entrusting HIS immediate future and potential success with #12 because "he looks good on paper"???

Escambia94

Not at all. The kid I saw under center today wearing #12 looked to me like a broken kid that blew his potential. Think of the military. I have watched very bright Soldiers return from Afghanistan and Iraq as different people. Despite all the best training and grooming, something they experience just breaks them. That's JB...at a less combat-related level, but combat-like for the purposes of discussion.

There does remain that one-in-a-millon chance that Weis will fix the kid. I doubt it. I would rather see a fresh new start for everyone on offense.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Weis won't let Burton or Reed run the offense. Brantley is going to be the starter next season. Driskel will be the starter in 2012. Reed will go back to being a TE. And Burton will be an H-back.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We can both be accused of using serious "real world" analogies to track a FOOTBALL problem, but hey, it's what we know, right?
...And you're right, it's an apt parallel ("funny" part is, that WAS the one I was GOING to use, then decided on the socio-criminal one instead, thinking it was a bit less emotionally charged--so let's go with it):
It would take a LOT of work, and almost certainly more TIME than anyone has here by now. That's why I say that if it's going to happen, to a great extent JB would have to fix HIMSELF by Spring Practice, at least have gone through some kind of full-on psycho-emotional-spiritual CATHARSIS that somehow "resets his balance", his sense-of-self and at least leaves him a kind of "New Man", a healthy, coherent "vessel" into which Weiss can pour new knowledge and awareness. Pretty tall order, seems to me.
Like a kid arriving for "Boot", John Brantley (like any prospective QB) arrived at this level having to be broken down, then built back up a certain way. Can't say exactly all the things that went wrong in this process the first time through, let alone whose fault what is, but it'd be hard enough to go through the BUILDING process again in one pre-season; we're basically asking him to do the whole first part, the breaking-down, HIMSELF--and in a MONTH and a HALF!
Hey John, there's this hermit/guru/Master at this monestary-in-the-clouds above Kathmandu that might be able to help you; if you get started tomorrow you MIGHT have enough time...then there are the various psychtropic chemical regimens--I'd go with Aldous Huxley over either Leary at one end of the spectrum or the CIA experiments of the 60's at the other end. Dangerous, but with the time constraints and all...maybe just go with the native American path, the fasting and isolation-in-wilderness of the "Vision Quest": we're talking about finding your "center", your purpose in life and the natural order of things--that's about as good a description of what being "LEADER OF THE GATOR OFFENSE" is all about, right?

Escambia94

Ya know, the Army had this whole staring at goats experiment up at Fort Meade. Maybe JB4 needs to stare at goats, or UGA cheerleaders and find himself.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let him stare at the goats, leave the UGA Cheering Girls to us, right? If there's ANY justice in this world...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh, and Zooker? I just don't believe ANYTHING is going to be HANDED to Brantley from now on--by Muschamp, Weiss or anyone else in the Gator program. His "free-ride-of-destiny" is over; he's long since proven he was unworthy of it in the first place.
Maybe it's a leap of faith on my part, but I am somehow CERTAIN that he will have to EARN whatever chances he gets at UF from now on; if he leaves it will be because he prefers the big-fish-in-small-pond certainty of going to a smaller, lesser-Division school--more in keeping with his performs-well-when-nothing-is-at-stake record. If Brantley does stay, Weiss will of course TRY to give him an opportunity to run his offense. He'd be foolish not to, given our situation at QB at least 'til Driskell is ready to step into the role...as foolish as he'd be to emulate Addazio and Meyer and try to FORCE the issue if/when #12 lives down to the level he displayed in 2010. For all of these reasons and more I think you may be wrong to so quickly consign Reed to TE at this point; at the very least, they'll need competition at QB to push and test JB in the Spring, and back-ups (not to mention a "Plan B") in case of injury or failure come the Fall and the season itself. Even if Driskell comes along really fast, Weiss knows better than to rush him into the starting role. They're thinking long term, multiple Championships with this kid.

Escambia94

I really don't know what to make of Reed. He redshirted as a QB last year, so did he not open up the two-page playbook at all? I know he's no dummy, so I assume he can learn Weis' playbook.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema