• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread Week 3: #18 Florida Gators 31, USF Bulls 28 9/17/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Overview
The #18 Florida Gators host the USF Bulls in another rainy monsoon Saturday at the Swamp. This game is the first of two in the 2-for-1 butt-whooping that the Gators promised in return for the 42-20 ***-whooping we gave them in 2021 when we bombed them on 9/11/2021. The Gators are favored by 24 and the over/under is 60. I predict a lower scoring affair as heralded Gator QB Anthony Richardson gets his mind right for the rest of the season. Last year the Gators out-gained the Bulls 666 YD to 297 with 303 YD passing and 363 YD rushing. They did toss 2 INT and commit 4 penalties for 45 yards. The Gators should prevail 32-10 once the offense figures out what went wrong against Kentucky.

Keys to the Game
There are not enough words to describe how lame the USF Bulls are, and if were not for the complete self-immolation job that the Gators did last week we would be talking about a 55-10 victory. Alas, that is not where the Gators are this week as they lick their wounds from last week's butt-whooping where they were in control of the game until right before the end of the first half. The key to this game will be between the ears of the Gator athletes. They can choose to learn from the loss to Kentucky or they can sulk and feel sorry for themselves. The Bulls are 1-1 and coming off a 42-20 victory over cupcake Howard University and a 21-50 loss to #25 BYU. In the loss to ranked BYU, USF could not throw deep and averaged 5.7 YPP to BYU's 8.2. Their running game was not much better as they rushed for 4.0 YPC compared to BYU's 8.4. Florida's rushing attack is far better than BYU's, and even in the mental state the offense is in I would say it is better than BYU's. Both QBs are coming off the worst performances of their careers with QBRs under 10.0 and passer ratings under 100.0.
Team StatsUSFFlorida
PPG/F31.522.5
PPG/A35.026.0
TOT YD/F351.5365.0
TOT YD/F PASS195.5155.5
TOT YD/F RUSH156.0209.5
TOT YD/A495.5359.0
TOT YD/A PASS255.5209.0
TOT YD/A RUSH240.0150.0

Key Personnel
The Gators clearly have the advantage with offensive personnel.
USFFlorida
TrJR (Baylor) QB G. Bohanon Earle, Arkansas 34/58 391 YD 0 TD 2 INT 108.3 RAT 23.3 QBRSo QB A. Richardson Gainesville, Florida 31/59 311 YD 0 TD 2 INT 90.0 RAT 51.7 QBR
So RB B. Battie Sarasota, Florida 10 ATT 119 YD 2 TDTrSo RB (Louisiana) M. Johnson Jr. New Orleans, Louisiana 19 ATT 137 YD 1 TD
Jr WR X. Weaver Orlando, Florida 12 REC 170 YD 0 TDTrJr (Arizona State) WR R. Pearsall Chandler, Arizona 6 REC 106 YD 0 TD

The Gators also have the advantage on defense, even if the stats on paper do not prove this out. Give credit to the Bulls for forcing 3 fumbles, which is something the Gator defense has not been successful in doing lately.
USFFlorida
DB Mekhi LaPointe 12 SOLO 2 AST 1 INTS Trey Dean III 10 SOLO 11 AST 0.5 SCK 1.0 PD
LB DJ Gordon IV 8 SOLO 4 ASTLB/JACK Brenton Cox 3 SOLO 9 AST 0.0 SCK 0.0 PD
LB Dwayne Boyles 9 SOLO 3 ASTDL/EDGE Gervon Dexter 5 SOLO 7 AST 0.5 SCK 1.0 PD 1.0 INT
DB Jayden Curry 6 SOLO 4 AST 1 INTSTAR/ LB Amari Burney 3 SOLO 4 AST 1 SCK 1 INT
DE Tramel Logan 7 SOLO 2 AST 1 PDCB Jason Marshall 2 SOLO 1 AST 1.0 PD

Summary
As long as the Gators get the right mindset, they should perform similarly as they did last year but with a lower score of 32-10, and probably not with as many yards. Assuming the Gators are about as good as BYU right now, the Gators could still eclipse 550 yards and keep USF under 300. I assume that in this game Napier will slow things down for the offense and defense, which could lead to a slow, grinding game.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cannot find fault or disagree with anything Escambia94 says above; However, in a case perhaps of "ongoing wishful thinking", I am on record elsewhere here in voicing my sense that we are not simply CAPABLE but in NEED of a bit of a lopsided, "break out win" here in this one.
"Kick out the jams!", so to speak.
I don't KNOW if we have it in us now, I grant y'all that--but here's hoping that Billy and his braintrust see it similarly and go AFTER the "COMPLETE BEATDOWN".
On one hand, even if we can manage that, it shouldn't come as any "proof" that last week was some "uncharacteristic outlier"--I'm afraid that one was likely an unfortunately-timed indicator of all our present flaws and weaknesses: We still have a long way to go.
This is still a "transitional season"...We just got to believe otherwise (a "one-week vacation/escape into fantasy") for a little while.
Fun the sadly brief period it lasted--but ALWAYS doomed.
However, THIS week DOES offer a chance for Coach, staff and players to recognize and recover their strengths, and the progress they are making.
A dominant win would go a long way in quieting EVERYONE'S questions and fears.
We will learn a LOT about the character of ALL in this one, I believe.
We should WIN--but we should NOT interpret a STRONG win (if that is what we manage) as anything but that: a signpost of our "progress and potential" along a road we just began upon.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and ANOTHER "wait-all-day-before-KICKOFF" situation--GEEZ! It's ONE thing when it reflects "national interest" for a "primetime" telecast--but this is on SEC Network, so it isn't expected to be much of a "ratings buster" in the first place!
(Sorry. I'm just bitching 'cause personally I'm sick of grinding through these endless "college football Saturdays", waiting to see what happens to OUR people--and in the end realizing and dealing with the outcome, good or bad, late into the night. I suppose I might feel differently if I had season tickets and lived in Gainesville...)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
This should be a cupcake, they haven't been good since Charlie's first season as a coach there (well closer to the first half of his second season there). Their coach is on the hot seat. They didn't look that good against Howard.

Escambia94

Random factoids:
- Gator coach Billy Napier and Gator bait coach Jeff Scott both coached at Clemson from 2009-2010. Big D*** Billy was the OC and QB coach. Little Jeff was the waterboy and occasional WR coach/ recruiting coordinator.
- Napier is 41-13 as head coach, 2-1 in bowl games. Scott is 4-19 as head coach. On the bright side, Scott has never been defeated in a bowl game… because he has never been to one as head coach.
- USF sucks

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This should be a cupcake, they haven't been good since Charlie's first season as a coach there (well closer to the first half of his second season there). Their coach is on the hot seat. They didn't look that good against Howard.
Random factoids:
- Gator coach Billy Napier and Gator bait coach Jeff Scott both coached at Clemson from 2009-2010. Big D*** Billy was the OC and QB coach. Little Jeff was the waterboy and occasional WR coach/ recruiting coordinator.
- Napier is 41-13 as head coach, 2-1 in bowl games. Scott is 4-19 as head coach. On the bright side, Scott has never been defeated in a bowl game… because he has never been to one as head coach.
- USF sucks
...and we could probably at least BEAT these guys (USF) even if we get caught looking past 'em to NEXT week. But we'd miss an opportunity to accomplish some things in the way of "learning", "growing"--preparing to GO on the road and maybe actually WINNING a game like "at Tennessee"!
So the team needs to leave "looking ahead" to the fans and media. I know our Coach is cognizant of the dangers inherent here--I suspect he was aware of it the moment he got his first look at this season's schedule.
We'll have lots to say once we put THIS one behind us. But part of the whole process of "learning and growing" is to actually LEARN AND GROW, tick these kinds of "typical hurdles" OFF the list of "common pifalls". Lets play a tight, disciplined and IMPRESSIVELY DOMINANT game from the start, find ourselves comfortably ahead and pulling away (even subbing freely) by the 3rd quarter...
THEN we can slide our focus to going on the road to our 2nd SEC challenge--against a onetime RIVAL whom we have mostly BEATEN of late. (The Vols USED TO always be the 3rd game of the season). They certainly are (DEFINITELY) already anticipating US. THAT may be our only "edge" right now: That very tendency to believe their own hype--when WE have already had to face our OWN.
Here's our own Cris Doerring on "SEC This Morning" talking up Tennessee, how "likeable" they are at the moment etc etc...
Oh well--that can wait...as I'm saying, "IT DAMN WELL BETTER!"
After the first 2 weeks, I am just not at all sure where we are or how far we still have to go in "getting BACK" to wherever we expect to ultimately BE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Meanwhile, it's still just Friday night and already the procession of games begins 24 HOURS before WE get any kind of "release"...
This is exactly what I am bitching about here and elsewhere: Our evening kick-offs in the Swamp turn out to be EXCRUCIATING in starting a season where what we REALLY could have used was a coupla games more like tomorrow's against a lesser foe--only to START our schedule and played in the early afternoon.
I wish I could watch the kinds of match ups we've been getting ahead of our own, like tonight's theoretically competitive one where FSU is visiting Louisville, in a more relaxed and objective state-of-mind; I'll tune it in, but anything but a sloppily-played Seminole loss will likely only ADD to my general tension in advance of our OWN eventual kickoff late Saturday.
To make matters worse, I switched on ESPN's pregame show only to find Dan Mullen among the panel of host-announcers...To hear HIM, of all people, analyzing ANYTHING college-football-oriented is bad enough--but to hear him hyping the Seminoles, then wrapping it all up by picking them to WIN is simply too much: nausiating.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah...It's "competitive" alright, this Nole/Cardinal game--but this kid Travis, the FSU quarterback is altogether too accurate and efficient for OUR future comfort: 11-for-11 with 2 TD passes in the 1st quarter. Fortunately for Louisville (and for every FUTURE opponent?) the Seminole D hasn't exactly dazzled. Still, with the way things are going here, I doubt I'll watch much longer. Neither ONE of these teams are playing much defense...I'm not interested in watching these mediocre "also-rans" .Arch up and down the field while the announcers ramble on gliwingky and endlessly about how GOOD they are and what a great game we are being treated to.
This is likely how ALL OF SATURDAY will go for me as well--a lot of frenetically switching around and away until 6:30pm Central.

Escambia94

Visitor list vs USF

- Knijeah Harris (IOL) | 2023 | 4-star | National: 405, IOL: 24, FL: 79 | Florida Commit
- Ja'Keem Jackson CB) | 2023 | 4-star | National: 168, CB: 19, FL: 38 | Florida Commit
- Jaden Robinson LB | 2023 | 4-star | National: 382, LB: 31, FL: 71 | Florida Commit
- Kamran James DL | 2023 | 4-star | National: 190, DL: 28, FL: 39 | Florida Commit
- Jordan Castell S | 2023 | 4-star | National: 200, S: 13, FL: 40 | Florida Commit
- John Walker DL | 2023 | 4-star | National: 102, DL: 13, FL: 23 | UCF Commit
- Jordan Hall DL | 2023 | 4-star | National: 123, DL: 16, FL: 29 | 247: 100% FSU / On3: UGA 76.8%
- Charles Lester III CB | 2024 | 5-star | National: 22, CB: 3, FL: 8 | 247: No CB / On3: Bama 83.7%
- Jerrick Gibson RB | 2024 | 5-star | National: 8, RB: 1, FL: 4 | 247: No CB / On3: 33.9% UF
- Adarius Hayes Edge | 2024 | 4-star | National: 40, Edge: 7, FL: 11 | 247: 100% UF / On3: 90.0% UF
- Jaylen Heyward S | 2024 | 4-star | National: 43, S: 5, FL: 13 | 247: No CB / On3: 89.7% UF
- Kendall Jackson DL | 2024 | 4-star | National: 422, DL: 36, FL: 70 | 247: 100% UF / 99.3% UF
- Armondo Blount DL | 2025 | 5-star | National: 5, DL: 2, FL: 1 | 247: No CB / On3: 40.4% UF
- Taevion Swint ATH | 2025 | N/A | N/A | 247: No CB / On3: 79.6% UF

Escambia94

Here is some insight into Anthony Richardson from his passing coach. The guy who spends the most time with AR says that the Kentucky loss was entirely on AR. Ant just needs to relax and be himself in order to have a good game against USF.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't recall much in the way of similarly promising lists of "visiting commits" for home games under Mullen. Another encouraging sign of practical upgrades since Billy and his expanded, detail-oriented staff arrived and got to work.
We can SEE what it has done for UGA; look for similar upward mobility in UF Football play and future relative success.
Now, as for AR AND his inconsistencies, I am NOT concerned regarding his longterm upside nor eventual likely huge success...More than ever I think (perhaps somewhat selfishly) that he (and US!) would benefit from a COUPLE of more seasons here to develop and perfect the obvious "explosive talent" that is his. With these pro-scouts and media "talking heads" salivating over him, waxing excitedly about his growth and likely high draft-potential, etc., well, "reason" is less and less likely to prevail here--and given how ANYTHING could come to threaten or change that potential along the way, it is probably understandable if he were to "Take the money and RUN", asap--and to HELL with "careful, patient development"! Unless we (the UF powers-that-be) were to put together some lavishly protective insurance policy against his LOSING that potential--to injury or WHATEVER while still here, should he decide to stay say, at least one more season (if such financial guarantees were even LEGAL under the rules now operative in major college football), something that would guarantee he and his family a serious financial compensation package should the worst in the way of misfortune, onfield or OFF befall him before his eventual ENTRY to the pro draft were to actually occur...THAT might be an alternative worth he and us exploring PRONTO!
Again--I believe I've heard of such arrangements in isolated instances in the past, but I admit to being fairly ignorant as to the details (not to mention my own selfish preference to KEEP this kid AROUND at least one more season--give Billy and his Staff more benefit of the talent, time and hard work they'd all meanwhile be investing in the rebuilding of Flotida into the "Elite Program" we all envision as our eventual "future reality--there on the HORIZON!"...
Is there something I'm MISSING here in this regard? Some glaring "monkey wrench"?
It seems time to at least give something like this some serious "clear consideration" if at all possible, no?

Last edited:

Escambia94

In last year’s UF-USF matchup, QB Anthony Richardson was 3-for-3 passing for 152 yards and two touchdowns with 115 rushing yards (28.8 YPC) and one touchdown. AR is the first FBS player in the last 25 seasons to rush for 100-plus yards, pass for 150-plus yards and complete every pass he threw in a game.

Escambia94

Anthony Richardson’s performance against USF last year made him the first FBS player to record an 80-plus yard rush and 75-plus yard pass in the same game since Taylor Martinez (Nebraska) in 2010 and is one of three FBS players to accomplish the feat dating back to 1996.

Escambia94

Florida is the only team in the nation to face opponents ranked in the AP Top 25 during each of the first two weeks this season (and likely the first in recent history). Florida is the only team in the nation that has faced two opponents ranked in the current AP Top 25.

Week 1’s attendance of 90,799 was 10th all-time, most ever for home opener. When combined with Florida’s Week 2 attendance of 89,992, the combined 180,792 fans through two games represent the fourth-largest two-game attendance start in program history.

Escambia94

Here is an interesting comparison between Anthony Richardson and Joe Burrow. The point here is that Gator fans are giving up on AR after 3 games against ranked opponents. Burrow looked better in his first 3 starts because they were against unranked opponents who finished in the middle of the pack. In Burrow’s first 3 starts against ranked opponents his numbers were just as bad as Richardson’s!

I think AR balls out today.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In last year’s UF-USF matchup, QB Anthony Richardson was 3-for-3 passing for 152 yards and two touchdowns with 115 rushing yards (28.8 YPC) and one touchdown. AR is the first FBS player in the last 25 seasons to rush for 100-plus yards, pass for 150-plus yards and complete every pass he threw in a game.
Anthony Richardson’s performance against USF last year made him the first FBS player to record an 80-plus yard rush and 75-plus yard pass in the same game since Taylor Martinez (Nebraska) in 2010 and is one of three FBS players to accomplish the feat dating back to 1996.
LOL...
Instantly projecting "Nothing BUT... " based on just that one truncated (albeit dazzling) performance LAST year (even followed by his opening game display versus Utah to start THIS one) is every bit as innaccurate AND unfair as "doing a one-EIGHTY" and crucifying him for leading a team-wide letdown against UK one week later--in what amounted to his THIRD START!
This is what I warned against BEFORE the season, the thing that most concerns me about our "Gator Nation": The shallow if vocal portion who react so loudly and short-sightedly with little in the way of patience , credit or deeper insight.
A week ago it was "AR for Heisman!" and "Billy for Coach of the YEAR!". Now it is all this whining "Sturm und Drang" (German for "loud confusion").
I ask that the REST of us "reserve judgement".
THAT is what E--'s contributions above argue for.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here is an interesting comparison between Anthony Richardson and Joe Burrow. The point here is that Gator fans are giving up on AR after 3 games against ranked opponents. Burrow looked better in his first 3 starts because they were against unranked opponents who finished in the middle of the pack. In Burrow’s first 3 starts against ranked opponents his numbers were just as bad as Richardson’s!

I think AR balls out today.

I'm WITH you, @Escambia94, :
...on all counts!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, "more of the same" here already in Week 3, weak "match-ups" only CONTINUING to make your points, E--.
Watching these "weak-sister" set-ups collapse in timely manner only to enhance the seeming superiority of the featured programs and the apparent wisdom and sagacity of the announcers and "expert analysts" who have picked them as "winners" in the first place.

Escambia94

USF is coached by Jeff Scott, whose father, Brad Scott, served as a mentor Billy Napier when the two worked together at Clemson from 2003-04 and 2006-10. Jeff Scott also worked with Napier as the wide receivers coach at Clemson from 2007-10, during a span when Napier was tightends coach and offensive coordinator at the school.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Interesting. Complicated history and no doubt undercurrent of mixed feelings for both.
Big hug at end, though, no doubt...
See y'all at kickoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema