• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Florida @ Vanderbilt - 11/06: WIN 55 -14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Let's beat Vandy this week!!! If we lose and South Carolina wins, they will clinch the SEC East. Can't let that happen. I want to see some offense dammit!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am not able to watch the game now, but the GatorZone Tweets make it sound like 1st quarter was a snoozer. 2nd quarter sounds good.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, same here--didn't even watch most of first half online, monitored ALL games in background.
Then I switch for 2nd half, and I see the same ol' Gators-of-2011...you could FEEL something like that blocked punt coming. Oh, we'll win this thing easily, but it's that kind of "take the foot off the pedal, we don't have to work too hard out here no more"-attitude that reflects some of the problems with this unit.
They have Reed working out here now, and the "back-up" backs--I'm thinking THEY won't want to miss this chance. Reed looks GOOD--and Gillislee bursts thru' for nice TD!
Two sides of the "Gator coin" I'm talking about above. I've said all along we've got talent "all over the field"; the COACHES need to find ways of using it. I can see they're trying, and it may be starting to really come around--we'll have a better idea the rest of the season.
Strange that Special Teams is the unit having trouble here in the 2nd half--especially after that first half showing. Maybe a lot of this can be marked down to the team they're finally getting out there being young, inexperienced? Would explain the inconsistency, choppy sequences among stretches of brilliance.
All in all, though, headed in the right direction on BOTH sides of the ball, to say the least.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
floyd and powell need to be starting

Yes--that's what's missing so far...I don't get it either. Look at what's happening here with Reed: I think he's taking over the first string QB spot--at the least, they are going to continue "phasing him in". Call him "the 1-A-apparent". (the announcers on the SEC-Game-of-the-Week-feed are LOVING him, comparing his running to Tebow--"He's faster!"--and after that last throw to the 2, "A star is born!"). Reed runs it in (twice, really).
Anyway, my point above is that it's LONG past time to unveil Floyd and Powell, and seeing what's happening here, how ell the other younger players are contributing, what better time?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna be some time before the offense smooths out with the new QB--but the payoff down the road will be huge. Anyway it's not like that offense was operating like a "well-oiled machine" with JB. I still like the threesome-idea for the rest of this season, at least as something we do part of the time, same for the hurry-up, but watching Reed here today, I'm wondering if JB fits in, longterm, EXCEPT as a "threat to get the ball and throw it long" on certain plays, in certain offensive sets. Nice luxury, but not something you're gonna go to much if you've got a real, full-time, "He's the man"-quarterback.
Imagine an offense with Reed, Burton, Brown, Hammond, Dubose (I'm sure I'm leaving some out)--and Driskoll, Blakely and (presumably) some "big and fast" receivers on the way. Add a healthy, WELL-COACHED O-line, and it'll be Gator football time again, running up B-ball scores! We know that the defensive pieces appear to be falling into place--the raw material is certainly there (more on the way there too). Again: it will all come down to coaching--and, as the cliche goes, the future starts now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good Q--I missed that (all-important) portion as well. I got the impression from the way the announcers were talking by the time I tuned in late in the 2nd qtr. that JB had acquitted himself well, but that he was only part of the story, that "the new offense that Urban Meyer has been tinkering with" was having it's "coming out party here today".
Of course, what the COACHES see (and, most important, what Urban "sees") is often completely at odds with what everyone else sees, at least so far this year--I'd still like to have your question answered, but how much that would explain about what we see on-the-field in the weeks ahead is another question entirely, know what I mean?

The Zooker

VIP Member
Gonna be some time before the offense smooths out with the new QB--but the payoff down the road will be huge. Anyway it's not like that offense was operating like a "well-oiled machine" with JB. I still like the threesome-idea for the rest of this season, at least as something we do part of the time, same for the hurry-up, but watching Reed here today, I'm wondering if JB fits in, longterm, EXCEPT as a "threat to get the ball and throw it long" on certain plays, in certain offensive sets. Nice luxury, but not something you're gonna go to much if you've got a real, full-time, "He's the man"-quarterback.
Imagine an offense with Reed, Burton, Brown, Hammond, Dubose (I'm sure I'm leaving some out)--and Driskoll, Blakely and (presumably) some "big and fast" receivers on the way. Add a healthy, WELL-COACHED O-line, and it'll be Gator football time again, running up B-ball scores! We know that the defensive pieces appear to be falling into place--the raw material is certainly there (more on the way there too). Again: it will all come down to coaching--and, as the cliche goes, the future starts now.

O-line will be the key next year. We lose a lot of veterans. And if our veterans are performing this poorly this season then I'm scared to see what their backups look like next year. I'm calling it right now though that Patchan misses most of 2011 with an injury. Poor kid is Glass Joe.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
If we keep playing 17 or more freshmen, they will be better veterans than our current ones. Put in the 2nd team o-line at the end of a game and see what they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema