• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

No 5 star kickers?

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Looking at rivals.com it seems our lowest recruit is Caleb Sturgis, a 2 star kicker.

What's going on here? Were there no 5 star guys we could steal?

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
Honestly I don't know if they would ever give out a 5-star rating to a kicker. If you look on Scout, the highest is a 4 star. Caleb Sturgis (the kicker we have committed) is their #2 overall kicker and rated as a 3-star. Rivals has a few 3 stars listed and then Sturgis is rated #14 on their kicker list as a 2-star.

I think part of the problem is that it is really hard to judge a high school kicker and how they will do in college. Sturgis is supposed to be one of the best and supposedly has a huge leg. I've heard he can bomb kickoffs pretty deep and has the ability to hit 60+ yard field goals. But, we will see if that materializes when he gets to college.

Meyer went above and beyond what UF coaches have generally done and offered a scholarship to one of the best high school kickers. I'm glad to see him do this. UF has usually relied on walk-ons at the kicker spot. Then if they do exceptionally well they can earn a scholly. Let's hope Caleb can prove that he was worth the scholarship. I personally think he will.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I don't think stars are very accurate when it comes to kickers. For a kicker to be 5 star, he'd have to break every high school kicking record. Watching him kick in person would be a much better way to judge how good a kicker is.

I think it was on Rivals where they had him listed as 14th, but at the same time had him as having the strongest leg. If true, and he can be a little more accurate, we will have a very dangerous weapon. It always seems like other teams have the kickers that can kick the long ones where we do not.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Sturgis has a cannon of a leg. Let's just hope he is very accurate, too. No use having a strong leg if you can't hit the side of a Barn. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema