• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

New Level of Patience Required

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Y’all must see it/FEEL it too:
It could be quite a while—maybe not until sometime in the Spring at the earliest, or even somewhat beyond THAT—before everything we’ve been experiencing, will experience, not to mention the further consequences and effects of the “moves so far” on the part of the newly collected and established regime begin to really take hold and yield results before that “patience” brings hope and satisfaction in the form of SUCCESS—on OR off the field!
This Coach and staff are not simply “remodeling”:
They are here for a full-on REBUILD, one it turns out is apparently REQUIRED after the cascade of failures that descended on the Gator Program starting with last year’s LSU breakdown in the Swamp...Though there were other signs before then, SINCE then things have only deteriorated in further accelerating fashion.
Here’s hoping our fellows, not noted for their immense reserve of “patience”, recognize its necessity and are prepared to exercise it now. I have a feeling that it will at least SEEM to “get worse before it gets better” here!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
No. I demand instant gratification! Give us a #1 class right now or fire Billy Napier! Just kidding. I have a good feeling about Napier's methodical approach. Call me crazy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We ALL so badly WANT this to be “The HIRE”, the one that (like the Spurrier one now a full GENERATION ago that not only SAVED OUR COLLECTIVE BUTTS but established us then but set things up for a HALF CENTURY OF GATOR RISE AND SOLID CONTINUED SUCCESS!
Not only do I not see the raw materials for those kinds of positive ideals around ANY OF US NOW, but it isn’t the kind of world u guy guy t at
No. I demand instant gratification! Give us a #1 class right now or fire Billy Napier! Just kidding. I have a good feeling about Napier's methodical approach. Call me crazy.
LOL!
Being honest, to a somewhat sheepish extent, while we decry the more extreme versions of that very attitude in some of our Gator brethren out there, I have to admit to a certain amount of recognizing at least some of that attitude lodged in my own heart once losing faith in each of our last FEW Coaches, whom I wanted to (and for various lengths of time, assuredly DID) keep faith with upon and after their arrival in Gainesville.
This last one, with Mullen, was the most difficult and jarring of that eventual “disillusionment”.
Forgive us for being a little more “careful” this time, a bit more reserved, hesitant in our “leap of faith”.
But even so, be honest, stay true to your claims, promises and stated principles, and not only will we give y’all the time to establish yourselves and begin to rebuild a once-great, CAN-be-great-AGAIN program, and we will not only support you, but together all be a loud and loyal part of something special.
It’s what we’ve waited so long for, and why, however hesitant, will inevitably fall in strongly behind you and the TEAM soon enough, with a strength and enthusiasm that will support and help to carry us ALL forward to new heights, given half a chance!
So welcome to the University of Florida, Coach Napier:
Stay true to your promises, and Gator Nation will, as always, stay true to your team and program—and to YOU.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, it's going to take time. The Gators haven't recovered after the 2009 SEC Championship Game.
Exactly...and we’ve been hurting EVER SINCE, right?
That’s one reason we have been so eager and hopeful with the arrival of each new Coach—and why, even if disillusioned at each one’s faltering, have (albeit to lessening degree) repeated that attitude and process with each successor.
As I note above, this last one (with Mullen) might have been the most difficult yet: We thought he really WAS “the one”...he seemed to be a “GATOR”!
But no. Never mind all that.
OK; We understand that this will take some time, that there is much work to do—and that is what our new Coach not only promises, but has seemed to straight go about just THAT from the moment he arrived here.
So we’ll give him the time, and judge him and this team-to-BE by the results.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
In fairness, neither the U or School out West are doing too well either. It seems the Big 3 are a shadow of their former selves. It seems like other programs are doing a better job recruiting Florida than the Florida Schools.

Escambia94

In fairness, neither the U or School out West are doing too well either. It seems the Big 3 are a shadow of their former selves. It seems like other programs are doing a better job recruiting Florida than the Florida Schools.
With Mario Cristobal at scUM I think that things will be different in a year or two. SOW has a temporary lead on us, but as long as they keep NorveLLLLLLL that lead will not last long.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All too true.
Whatever else was/IS “needed”, some kind of “WHOLESALE CHANGE” HAD to happen here.
I don’t know if “Billy Napier” was that “needed change” or not: That still remains to be seen. But so many accompanying “changes” coming WITH it are certainly a good sign.
There’s something ELSE that I think needs to happen here at UF:
We need to get and KEEP A “VENERABLE COACH” for something like “a full generation”—whatever that period now comprises...As others have noted, we haven’t had that since Spurrier. Heck, there’ve only been THREE (that have stayed more than six seasons) in all of the Florida program’s long history!
This new group (and it IS “a group”, clearly trying to be MORE than the sum of its parts, aiming to be a “family” of sorts)—a mutually-supporting collection of coaches, players, students, alumni, fans, band, and all the rest, Gator Nation far and wide, if we are to believe the stuff coming out of each new hire’s mouths these last few weeks, with each new hire and press conference.
We keep hearing similar words from each new man and woman who gets up in front of that blue, with white and orange-highlighted “Florida Health” backdrop, steps up to the podium and answers questions about their philosophy, outlook, hiring and days ahead.
“A BIG CHANGE was needed”...
and it’s possible that THIS one is either gonna make or BREAK us.

Escambia94

All too true.
Whatever else was/IS “needed”, some kind of “WHOLESALE CHANGE” HAD to happen here.
I don’t know if “Billy Napier” was that “needed change” or not: That still remains to be seen. But so many accompanying “changes” coming WITH it are certainly a good sign.
There’s something ELSE that I think needs to happen here at UF:
We need to get and KEEP A “VENERABLE COACH” for something like “a full generation”—whatever that period now comprises...As others have noted, we haven’t had that since Spurrier. Heck, there’ve only been THREE (that have stayed more than six seasons) in all of the Florida program’s long history!
This new group (and it IS “a group”, clearly trying to be MORE than the sum of its parts, aiming to be a “family” of sorts)—a mutually-supporting collection of coaches, players, students, alumni, fans, band, and all the rest, Gator Nation far and wide, if we are to believe the stuff coming out of each new hire’s mouths these last few weeks, with each new hire and press conference.
We keep hearing similar words from each new man and woman who gets up in front of that blue, with white and orange-highlighted “Florida Health” backdrop, steps up to the podium and answers questions about their philosophy, outlook, hiring and days ahead.
“A BIG CHANGE was needed”...
and it’s possible that THIS one is either gonna make or BREAK us.
Wholesale change is here! For the first time in a long time at Florida, every single on-field coach has been replaced and upgraded. The off-field staff has grown from 5 to 25. The number of non-football staff has grown from 0 to 5. The number of 5-star athletes visiting Gainesville after ESD but before NSD has increased from 0 to 3. The number of 5-star signees signed in either signing day has increased from 0 to 1 so far. The number of transfer kids whose transfer ratings have increased has gone from 0 to 3. It is still early, but the amount of complaining from athletes has completely disappeared just by giving the athletes parking spaces and food! Napier plans on having an army of 50 walk-ons (up from about 15)!

Yes, it is too early to make any judgement calls, but so far everything is trending upwards.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wholesale change is here! For the first time in a long time at Florida, every single on-field coach has been replaced and upgraded. The off-field staff has grown from 5 to 25. The number of non-football staff has grown from 0 to 5. The number of 5-star athletes visiting Gainesville after ESD but before NSD has increased from 0 to 3. The number of 5-star signees signed in either signing day has increased from 0 to 1 so far. The number of transfer kids whose transfer ratings have increased has gone from 0 to 3. It is still early, but the amount of complaining from athletes has completely disappeared just by giving the athletes parking spaces and food! Napier plans on having an army of 50 walk-ons (up from about 15)!

Yes, it is too early to make any judgement calls, but so far everything is trending upwards.
(Thanks for quantifying what I sensed (and noted above) intuitively, E—...I only hope fans will be patient: Though the trend IS indeed already “upward”, this kind of fundamental, take-the-long-view “teardown/rebuild” won’t necessarily bring quick results, but rather full, deep and long-lasting ones that will I believe eventually bring the kind of success we have truly long been looking for.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema