• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Muschamp fires Frank Verducci; brings in Tom Davis

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Offensive line coach Frank Verducci has been replaced.

Replaced you say?

Fired actually.

The thing about loyalty.

According to the Gainesville Sun, Muschamp fired Verducci once he caught wind that the 30-year coaching veteran had interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

In fact, there was another coach, Tom Davis, who was a candidate for the job last year when Muschamp took the job, but Weis wanted his former Notre Dame assistant Verducci to take the job.

According to a press release Verducci left "to pursue other interests". Verducci also served as the run game coordinator last season. The Gator run game was non-existent for the most part in SEC play. The move signals yet another move towards a run it up the gut, move the chains three-yards, don't turn the ball over type of offensive.

In comes Davis, who spent last season as Utah's offensive line coach.

"Tim is a perfect fit for our program," Muschamp said in a statement. "He has a history of coaching in a pro-style offense and shares the same program philosophies. It will be a seamless transition for our players and staff."

“He was a guy that brought energy and passion to the job every day,’’ Muschamp said via UF's official website.

"He is going to bring toughness. I thought he did a great job with our offensive line [with the Dolphins]. Everywhere he has been and he’s coached they have been able to run the football and create the play-actions off it, be able to spread the field, understand the protections and do what you’ve got to do to be able to keep the quarterback upright."

Davis and Muschamp worked together on Nick Saban's staff with the Miami Dolphins.

When Davis didn't get the job last year, he said "I told [Muschamp] 'well, I'm going to be persistent. I'm going to keep trying.' I always wanted to work and coach in the SEC, especially with guys I know and have coached with."

Slowly but surely, Muschamp is building his program, with his guys, his people.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Sidenote: That's just a typo up there, right? Where it says "Tom" Davis, you were referring to "Tim", who eventually did get--now HAS--the job, correct? Just wanted to clarify and remove any possible confusion...)

As I've noted elsewhere, this "slight discrepancy" between what is first "released" to the press and public, and the facts behind-the-scenes, has been a feature of a number of partings-of-the-ways this past year or so since our new coach arrived--mainly with the way the team has handled the manner in which a number of PLAYERS have left the program: they were allowed to leave with their pride intact, but in most cases they had essentially "kicked themselves off the team" with some combination of failures-to-achieve ON the field, and unacceptable behaviors OFF of it. I'm guessing this "back-channel" leaking of the truth in Verduci's case is because he is an adult, a colleague, and he violated one of Coach Boom's most important and explicit concerns, having to do (as you say) with loyalty, honor and truth.

Gary_S

Gator Fan
Offensive line coach Frank Verducci has been replaced.

Replaced you say?

Fired actually.

The thing about loyalty.

According to the Gainesville Sun, Muschamp fired Verducci once he caught wind that the 30-year coaching veteran had interviewed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

In fact, there was another coach, Tom Davis, who was a candidate for the job last year when Muschamp took the job, but Weis wanted his former Notre Dame assistant Verducci to take the job.

According to a press release Verducci left "to pursue other interests". Verducci also served as the run game coordinator last season. The Gator run game was non-existent for the most part in SEC play. The move signals yet another move towards a run it up the gut, move the chains three-yards, don't turn the ball over type of offensive.

In comes Davis, who spent last season as Utah's offensive line coach.

"Tim is a perfect fit for our program," Muschamp said in a statement. "He has a history of coaching in a pro-style offense and shares the same program philosophies. It will be a seamless transition for our players and staff."

“He was a guy that brought energy and passion to the job every day,’’ Muschamp said via UF's official website.

"He is going to bring toughness. I thought he did a great job with our offensive line [with the Dolphins]. Everywhere he has been and he’s coached they have been able to run the football and create the play-actions off it, be able to spread the field, understand the protections and do what you’ve got to do to be able to keep the quarterback upright."

Davis and Muschamp worked together on Nick Saban's staff with the Miami Dolphins.

When Davis didn't get the job last year, he said "I told [Muschamp] 'well, I'm going to be persistent. I'm going to keep trying.' I always wanted to work and coach in the SEC, especially with guys I know and have coached with."

Slowly but surely, Muschamp is building his program, with his guys, his people.

Surely another brilliant hire by Muschamp. Weis and Pease have to be better decisions!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Loyalty, as important as it is, cannot displace "competency" as a prerequisite for any job at this level. In fact, even "competency" isn't enough...Superior "talent", "vision" and "imagination", coupled with "hard work" and yes, "loyalty", begin to describe the general "standard requirements" for ANY job in this program, seems to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema