• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer says Addazio will remain Florida's OC in '11

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
Ok guys this is my first post so take it easy on me! Been a Gator fan since the Emmitt Smith days and I gotta say the game last week was just hard to watch. Couple thoughts....Urban says the game plan was to stretch out the defense and expose the Gamecocks shoddy secondary. Since when did that become an option with our O-line blocking for Brantley? I don't get it. They haven't passed all year because the O-line can't give anyone time to get downfield before Brantley gets mauled and yet the biggest game of the year THATS our game plan? I just see 1 common demoninator when you speak of a shoddy O-line and the play calling we have watched all year. Addazio...and on top of that doesn't Meyer notice that in 08 our offense was rolling with Mullens calling the plays and since day one of last year its been nothing short of painfull to watch our offense. Even with Tebow last year it was just awful to watch and now with Brantley its down right embarrassing. On another note. Are you kidding me that was are down by 8 still in the first half and Meyer panicks because of the score? How many 3 and outs does it take to say this crap ain't working lets try running some of what we ran the last 2 weeks?? Oh can't do that, we are down by EIGHT!!!! I watched Brantley play ball in High School and know he can throw. Alot of these high throws I believe are because the D-line is always in his face and knocking balls down at the line. Its would make anyone paranoid. I thought the the O was going to compliment him this year. I thought we were suppose to have one of the top O-lines in the nation also. Seriously, if Addazio is OC next year I might just go back to watching my Fins on sunday, thats how bad its gotten. Ok I'm done ranting, had to get it off my chest. PEACE!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok guys this is my first post so take it easy on me! Been a Gator fan since the Emmitt Smith days and I gotta say the game last week was just hard to watch. Couple thoughts....Urban says the game plan was to stretch out the defense and expose the Gamecocks shoddy secondary. Since when did that become an option with our O-line blocking for Brantley? I don't get it. They haven't passed all year because the O-line can't give anyone time to get downfield before Brantley gets mauled and yet the biggest game of the year THATS our game plan? I just see 1 common demoninator when you speak of a shoddy O-line and the play calling we have watched all year. Addazio...and on top of that doesn't Meyer notice that in 08 our offense was rolling with Mullens calling the plays and since day one of last year its been nothing short of painfull to watch our offense. Even with Tebow last year it was just awful to watch and now with Brantley its down right embarrassing. On another note. Are you kidding me that was are down by 8 still in the first half and Meyer panicks because of the score? How many 3 and outs does it take to say this crap ain't working lets try running some of what we ran the last 2 weeks?? Oh can't do that, we are down by EIGHT!!!! I watched Brantley play ball in High School and know he can throw. Alot of these high throws I believe are because the D-line is always in his face and knocking balls down at the line. Its would make anyone paranoid. I thought the the O was going to compliment him this year. I thought we were suppose to have one of the top O-lines in the nation also. Seriously, if Addazio is OC next year I might just go back to watching my Fins on sunday, thats how bad its gotten. Ok I'm done ranting, had to get it off my chest. PEACE!

Well, you won't get much argument here, D-Dave: you just nicely recapped much of the discussion and complaint that has dominated the last few weeks here.
Most of us are by now frustrated and/or disgusted to the point of near-exhaustion and hopelessness. How any of us deals with it out there is of course our own affair, but here at least we have passionate, articulate fellow-Gators with which to try and hash it all out.
We vent, sure (did you SEE our posts during the LAST game?!!!), but then (eventually) we get down to figuring where we're at, where we need to be going, and what can be done, realistically, to see this team, this program back on track.
So...here's a question I've posed elsewhere on the site:
Assuming that, as Meyer has insisted, Addazio will remain our OC and Brantley our starting QB right into (and by implication, right THRU') 2011, if you could make three OTHER changes--in personnel, the way things are done on or off the field, and so on--what would they be, and why?

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
Well, you won't get much argument here, D-Dave: you just nicely recapped much of the discussion and complaint that has dominated the last few weeks here.
Most of us are by now frustrated and/or disgusted to the point of near-exhaustion and hopelessness. How any of us deals with it out there is of course our own affair, but here at least we have passionate, articulate fellow-Gators with which to try and hash it all out.
We vent, sure (did you SEE our posts during the LAST game?!!!), but then (eventually) we get down to figuring where we're at, where we need to be going, and what can be done, realistically, to see this team, this program back on track.
So...here's a question I've posed elsewhere on the site:
Assuming that, as Meyer has insisted, Addazio will remain our OC and Brantley our starting QB right into (and by implication, right THRU') 2011, if you could make three OTHER changes--in personnel, the way things are done on or off the field, and so on--what would they be, and why?

(1) Find someone else to take over coaching of the O-line. Preferably someone who knows how and can teach our guys how to pick up the blitz!
(2) Throw the frikin ball on 1st down when the other teams expecting the dive. Its worth 5 or 6 yards everytime.
(3) Brantley being a starter is nothing more than that. He will start the game. Everyone expects a pass when Brantleys in the game. Let them blitz and hit the back out of the backfield or heaven forbid, actually throw a screen?

I have alot more if you ask! LOL:Banane37:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(1) Find someone else to take over coaching of the O-line. Preferably someone who knows how and can teach our guys how to pick up the blitz!
(2) Throw the frikin ball on 1st down when the other teams expecting the dive. Its worth 5 or 6 yards everytime.
(3) Brantley being a starter is nothing more than that. He will start the game. Everyone expects a pass when Brantleys in the game. Let them blitz and hit the back out of the backfield or heaven forbid, actually throw a screen?

I have alot more if you ask! LOL:Banane37:

Good start. You're welcome to keep going, as far as I'm concerned...win or lose, I don't see any of the above changing as a result of what we see today (game day, App.St.).
As for Brantley, between poor decisions, inaccurate throws and the "Deonte Thompson"-effect (I think it may be spreading), I don't know how effective he'd be at this point if the other team LET him throw.
In other words, they usually know what he's gonna do and when he's gonna do it (as you note), and if he DOESN'T do it it doesn't MATTER--he won't exploit it anyway.
Amazing, isn't it? Your 2nd point above is right from "Football: Offense 101", but appears beyond our OC--in an offense that was SUPPOSED to be "tailored" to this QB's "strengths" (which never WAS the "Dive", BTW).
The other two points refer to the two things that were SUPPOSED to be "solid strengths" from the start: the O-line and the QB himself.
Yeah, I'd say those three are a good place to start.
I know we're going over well-trampled ground here, but it sure hasn't gotten through to this coaching staff.
The only thing I can figure is that Meyer, Addazio and all are planning on continuing to "tweak" this offense, hoping that Brantley and the rest can begin to "make it work" (remember what he said just last week: "The players aren't executing") between now and the end of the season so they have SOMETHING to "build on"--in other words, something to point to and say, "We're on the right track", and do what they're planning on doing NO MATTER WHAT.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
I was reading on a Sooners forum earlier this year that it seemed Meyer had lost his edge. I really resented it but as the years gone on I'm beginning to wonder. Other than throwing his headset down occasionally he just seems to stand on the sidelines with this dumb look on his face. Is this just me? Ever seen Saban when a play don't go his way? I dunno....with his loyality to Addazio, waiting how many games to figure out our offense sucks and being shook up at being down 8 that he panics and the first half isn't even over? To me its great that he his loyal to his friends and staff, but thats not what he gets paid millions to do. Should make for an interesting year next year!

The Zooker

VIP Member
All bets are off this off season. Nothing would surprise me about the changes, or lack thereof, that will occur. There's wild speculation all over the place. Nobody really knows what's going to happen. Not even Meyer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know EXACTLY what you mean--on BOTH counts:
I resent it when outsiders go after our head coach--and until recently, I was sure it was jealousy and sour grapes and that there was little or nothing to it. Now I find myself with concerns that aren't a whole lot different than some of those very criticisms.
The biggest and most obvious has to do with that "fire" you mention, his passion for the game in general, and the performance of his team in particular. I just don't often see that passion in him anymore--and we've ALL noticed that "deer-in-the-headlights" look on his face as games get away from us. His own post-game statements, along with that whole business with his steadfast (some would say "blind and stubborn") backing of Addazio as "OC--no matter what", and a host of other questions made my former unqualified confidence and support difficult to sustain.
He seemed "into it" today, more involved emotionally and practically than we've seen all year. I think that was in part because he was working hard to see his seniors go out with victory in The Swamp, but no matter what, it helped set (and keep) the tone, and it was good to see. There were a lot of things that were "good to see" out there today, even if it was against a team we SHOULD beat--that's been no guarantee of a good performance out of this team this year up 'til now. We can at least HOPE that they'll be able to take a lot from this game that will help them finish strong, and get us back on track going into 2011.
Still, so many questions remain unanswered, so many important choices to make, lessons to be learned and applied--and just (at best) a couple of games left to get better and keep it going heading into NEXT year.
We'll have a better idea of where we're at and where we're headed after facing that SOW.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All bets are off this off season. Nothing would surprise me about the changes, or lack thereof, that will occur. There's wild speculation all over the place. Nobody really knows what's going to happen. Not even Meyer.

You got THAT right, Z.
In fact, in a way, that's one part of this whole mess that gives me some hope: it IS a crazed confusion of the unplanned and the unexpected, and no one DOES know what's going to happen, and IT'S THAT WAY FOR EVERYONE.
This may turn out to be one of those weird, wild seasons, an anomaly that shakes everything up, and EVERYONE has to learn, adapt and move on.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
To be honest, I expected a 3 loss season with a new QB and loosing what we did to the NFL. What REALLY upset me more than the losses was the fact 3 of them came at home. The Swamp used to be a place nobody wanted to come to, much less play us in a big game. Urban has asked the fans to do their part while I feel he hasn't owned up to his. I'm not bashing him, but 3 losses in the Swamp with any team we field is unacceptable, at least in my book. Cost way to much to go to a game anymore just to watch them lay an egg. I would rather lose our bowl game than have the Semiholes finally beat us.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
To be honest, I expected a 3 loss season with a new QB and loosing what we did to the NFL. What REALLY upset me more than the losses was the fact 3 of them came at home. The Swamp used to be a place nobody wanted to come to, much less play us in a big game. Urban has asked the fans to do their part while I feel he hasn't owned up to his. I'm not bashing him, but 3 losses in the Swamp with any team we field is unacceptable, at least in my book. Cost way to much to go to a game anymore just to watch them lay an egg. I would rather lose our bowl game than have the Semiholes finally beat us.

Yeah, I came in figuring a 3-loss season too--but I saw us "in transition", fitting all the new pieces in and starting to gel as a team, not floundering confusedly, in the Swamp no less.
We haven't really begun the process of rebuilding a winner thus far, and the season's almost over. It has been frustrating and disappointing--and it will take that much longer to "get back" from here.
As for the Head Coach, you're right: Meyer hasn't seemed to "own up" to very much this season--and he IS the key to our present AND future. I'd be much more hopeful if he were just to take charge, acknowledge the obvious mistakes and stubborn oversights, and more personally and PASSIONATELY involve himself in the managing of this team.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do want to say that there ARE signs that our Coach IS getting back "the Fire"--and that is cause for hope, even optimism, if it holds...remember, though, this was against App.St.--and we've been drunk on false hope before, after earlier "break out performances" against lesser teams.
This felt and LOOKED a little different though, I agree: Urban was stalking the sideline, hugging his seniors when they made plays, getting angry at EVERYONE involved when there were breakdown--the old Coach Meyer. We'll know a lot more after FSU--and not just by the ultimate outcome. We need to see a team PREPARED TO PLAY from the get-go, and one that puts out a full effort right to the end. We need to see them GIVEN the best chance to win, with our best players on the field in the right situations, with a realistic "Plan To Win".
If we lose under those conditions, I will hurt, sure, but I'll be able to face heading into next year with a certain confidence that we've "turned a corner". It'll be time to start looking forward, not back.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
I do want to say that there ARE signs that our Coach IS getting back "the Fire"--and that is cause for hope, even optimism, if it holds...remember, though, this was against App.St.--and we've been drunk on false hope before, after earlier "break out performances" against lesser teams.
This felt and LOOKED a little different though, I agree: Urban was stalking the sideline, hugging his seniors when they made plays, getting angry at EVERYONE involved when there were breakdown--the old Coach Meyer. We'll know a lot more after FSU--and not just by the ultimate outcome. We need to see a team PREPARED TO PLAY from the get-go, and one that puts out a full effort right to the end. We need to see them GIVEN the best chance to win, with our best players on the field in the right situations, with a realistic "Plan To Win".
If we lose under those conditions, I will hurt, sure, but I'll be able to face heading into next year with a certain confidence that we've "turned a corner". It'll be time to start looking forward, not back.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I like this place...seems everyone sees the same things I do and has the same concerns I do also. I actually stopped watching the Urban Meyer show earlier this year because I got tired of hearing him saying nobodys to blame when the rest of Gator nation feels otherwise. When you go 3 and out time after time after time after time like we did against the Gamecocks, I'm sorry but someone has got to shoulder that responsibilty instead of saying its bad execution on the players.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Maybe the game plan against SOW should be similar to our approach with the cupcakes--score early on offense, stuff the run, and make them throw at the secondary. Ponder likes to toss up INTs. I read it on his facebook page that his hobbies are throwing interceptions, bestiality and midget pr0n. We should deploy three QBs again, but be prepared for FSU to blitz JB. If Reed and Burton can soften up the middle for JB, maybe, just maybe he will get that extra second to throw. Their corners are fast enough to keep up with our receivers, so we might have to throw short. Other than that, Urban Meyer needs to be fired up. Wearing the headset, and getting good info from whomever is sitting in the booth...fired up.

Leakfan12

VIP Member

Well I was (and don't know about the rest of you) I was expecting a 1 or 2 loss season but then the season started.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I was (and don't know about the rest of you) I was expecting a 1 or 2 loss season but then the season started.

I was looking forward to seeing a "pure pocket passer" with mad skills and a rocket arm running a revamped offense DESIGNED to take advantage of it--but then the season started.

(@ Escambia'94-lol: I knew there was SOMETHING about Ponder I didn't like!) (STILL laughing)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema