• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matt Elam: Florida Gator Recruit Focuses His Anger on the Field

JvilleJohnny

The article on TampaBay.com was a harsh look into the mirror.

And I was embarrassed by my reflection.

Matt Elam, the 6', 200-pound Florida Gator defensive back recruit, has a lot to be excited about.

One of a bevy of five-star players to commit to the University of Florida, Elam had the pick of the litter of schools to attend.

After initially committing to UF, he changed his mind to Florida State, only to recommit to Florida after the Army All-American Game.

Reaffirming his faith in Urban Meyer, he said, and the notion that UF provided him with the best opportunity of becoming an early player, swayed him back to Gainesville.

A physically dominating player, he was a two-way star at William Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

With Gator defensive backs Major Wright and Joe Haden leaving school early for the NFL, the hard-charging Elam should play a prominent role in Urban Meyer's defensive plans for the 2010 season.

Unfortunately, Elam also has a lot to be angry about.

In his young life, he's had to endure the murder of three family members.

Three.

His half-brother, Donald Runner, was shot to death before Matt was even born.

His oldest brother, Donald Elam, was shot in May of 2008 just after being released from prison.

And then the last dagger.

In 1999, his 11-year old sister, Christina was caught in the crossfire of a dispute and was killed.

How does any person, much less a young person, deal with such tragedy in their lives?

In a previous piece, I was critical of Matt's indecision and the fact that he articulated a desire to play at a school which gave him the best chance to play as a freshman.

At the time, I thought he should have demonstrated more, at least, public humility.

My article hinted at selfishness on his part.

Who was I to say?

I'm ashamed now that I hadn't done the research necessary prior to penning that piece.

Too often, I'm quick to judge without knowing the whole story.

As a teacher, parent, and writer, I should know better.

Welcome to the University of Florida, Matt Elam.

I hope that your college career brings you as much success as you found on the playing fields of high school.

More importantly, I hope that through your struggles, you can find some measure of redemption.

And a little forgiveness for this new fan.

Article from BleacherReport.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema