• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Malik Zaire coming to Florida: Good or bad?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I mixed with this. Good: he has experience and better than sorry to said LDR. Bad: He's going to learn a new system and Franks will wait another season (hopefully he'll get reps).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I mixed with this. Good: he has experience and better than sorry to said LDR. Bad: He's going to learn a new system and Franks will wait another season (hopefully he'll get reps).
Well, it's official as of yesterday. I hear he'll be in G-ville and on the field for upcoming "Summer Camp" this coming week.
I too had mixed feelings--I mean, Del Rio didn't exactly burn up the field as an "incoming transfer", we have a coupla highly regarded freshmen QBs available (both with loads of purported "upside", especially Franks, and both need opportunity to develop) and these days that would seem to at least heighten the chances of losing at least one of 'em. I think we have to somehow keep Franks, no matter what.
On the other hand, we have had, like what?, 7 or 8 consecutive SEASONS of "top prep qbs with loads of upside" who just haven't come thru, to put it mildly...Meanwhile, Malik was a dazzling Notre Dame first string/starting quarterback who seemed to have it ALL right from the start--true freshman started and won/STARRED in their bowl game, won his first 3 games following season, running AND passing (got a great arm)--until he broke his ankle mid-game, then missed the rest of that 2015 season and never really got a chance to regain his starting position (for a number of situational reasons--most importantly awkward timing by the time he was fully healthy and the guy replacing him having performed well and lodged himself in that role).
Look, I am still a little shaky on what this will mean long term: I mean, it seemed clear we needed to get back to DEVELOPING our QBs, get into that position we were in back in the early 2000's when we had a series of now- and future-STARS coming along, at different stages of their respective development.
Now, that also meant we were probably "starting all over again" at QB, leaving the coming season in all likelihood at BEST with another "good to great on D, uneven on O-side", best we could likely hope for would be maybe another SEC-East title and prob another loss 'gainst the Tide in Atlanta. With Malik, well, I STIIL don't know what to expect this year--but there is now at least the CHANCE that "the future is now" after all--and that's exciting, lets admit it. Whether it turns out to be a distraction that ends up a setback, a net loss on our path back to the top, or an unexpected leap forward, well, that's what is on the line here. But damn it, you watch this kid's (albeit foreshortened) highlight reel as a major college quarterback so far, and you can't help but figure, hey, this is a "roll of the dice" Coach Mac HAD to take--and all of us along with him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema