• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Load of Bull: The Evolution of Jeff Driskel

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I have decided to start up an analysis series that I will call "Load of Bull", as in "a lot of information about our 'young gators', known as bulls".

First up is Jeff Driskel. Jeff was highly touted out of high school despite coming out of a high school with a young football program. He played out of a spread offense, sometimes out of the shotgun and sometimes under center. The scouts noted that he had prototypical size and strength, reminiscent of Jake Locker. There was concern that he could adapt to the pro-style offense, but I did notice that some of the formations he ran at Hagerty looked very similar to Charlie Weis' New England Offense.

Hagerty High School 2010-2011:

Key notes:
  • throws best on the run, especially rolling right
  • can throw from the pocket
  • does not sell play-action very well
  • average accuracy on slant and go routes
Florida Gators 2012 up to game 7:

Key notes:
  • stares down #1 receiver
  • needs work on check-downs
  • does not look-off the corners or DEs coming down the edge
  • good timing on sideline routes, bad timing on deep throws and throws across the middle
  • great job stepping up into collapsing pocket in games against aTm and beyond
  • does not have quick enough release for swing passes
  • no pocket presence, especially when staring down receiver
  • still no look-offs
  • cannot complete a deep pass unless he is chased out of the pocket and allowed to roll right
  • fumbles whenever he retreats backwards as the pocket collapses, but throws into bad coverage when he steps up as the pocket collapses...unless it is a deep ball
  • the deep receiver will never catch a ball in stride from Driskel
  • lots of open receivers running hitch and sit-down routes, but the receivers need to come back and help when he is being chased down by the entire defense (was our offensive line THAT bad?)
  • (I am absolutely sick of watching passes into the flats. That worked for Wayne Peace in the early 1980s, but it does not appear to work for Jeff Driskel.)
  • (this footage does not show Driskel against UGA or Vandy, but the trends above continue through the Sugar Bowl)
Sugar Bowl 2013:

Key notes:
  • Driskel's attempts to go deep were spoiled by interceptions and a backfield flooded by Louisville defenders. Louisville defense also figured out that the Gators only completed passes to the edges, so they pressed the corners.
  • staring down the x-receiver on the left when he has flooded the right side with y, z, and h receivers. WTH? Missed the defender that walked up the middle and sacked him.
  • waits too long to set up middle screens and delayed swing passes
  • throws a beautiful deep ball when in hurry-up mode, and the x-receiver sits on the route waiting for the pass (i.e. not attempting to catch the ball in stride)
  • overall: not much progress from the beginning of the season
Florida Gators 2013 game 1 vs Toledo:

Key notes:
  • Driskel looks somewhat like a polished QB at times
  • rudimentary look-offs and check-downs
Florida Gators 2013 game 2 vs Miami:

Key notes:
  • other than the lack of a rushing game, the stupid turnovers, questionable play calling, and lack of a playmaker receiver, Driskel does well here. Best statistical day of his career, except the two turnovers.
  • look-offs and check-downs not as good as they were against Toledo.
  • WTH happened to Driskel's accuracy rolling right? He threw it right into three Miami defenders!
  • on the interception up the middle, there were two open Gator receivers sitting in the end zone waiting for a pass with no defenders
Overall notes going forward:
  • Jeff Driskel does not seem to have what it takes to be a pro-style passer throwing from the pocket. He is a quick-read, 1-2 option, mobile QB that likes to roll out of the pocket or take off after read #2.
  • The Gator offensive line needs to swap right and left side guards, or the coach needs to let Driskel roll out of the pocket.
  • Driskel can only complete deep passes when he has left the pocket and the receivers are looking at him 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.
  • A defense can shut down Driskel by pressing the corners up towards the receivers in the flat.

Good thread. One thing of note, is that he was recruited by Charlie W, for his pro-style system as you mentioned in the earlier part of thread; but the reality is Florida should have pursued Teddy Bridgewater instead.

JD IMO, is just Tebow 2.0; the difference is he is more mobile and can actually throw with decent accuracy to the edges and in short situations.

I would like to see what he does with these two weeks off, obviously he cannot fix every part of his game in two weeks; but if we can get him to be calm and do progressive reads it would be a big help.

Escambia, what would Jacoby have done with this team? I think Jacoby would have been slightly better; but I am not sure if he would have been that much better but we will never know.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
I have decided to start up an analysis series that I will call "Load of Bull", as in "a lot of information about our 'young gators', known as bulls".

First up is Jeff Driskel. Jeff was highly touted out of high school despite coming out of a high school with a young football program. He played out of a spread offense, sometimes out of the shotgun and sometimes under center. The scouts noted that he had prototypical size and strength, reminiscent of Jake Locker. There was concern that he could adapt to the pro-style offense, but I did notice that some of the formations he ran at Hagerty looked very similar to Charlie Weis' New England Offense.

Hagerty High School 2010-2011:

Key notes:
  • throws best on the run, especially rolling right
  • can throw from the pocket
  • does not sell play-action very well
  • average accuracy on slant and go routes
Florida Gators 2012 up to game 7:

Key notes:
  • stares down #1 receiver
  • needs work on check-downs
  • does not look-off the corners or DEs coming down the edge
  • good timing on sideline routes, bad timing on deep throws and throws across the middle
  • great job stepping up into collapsing pocket in games against aTm and beyond
  • does not have quick enough release for swing passes
  • no pocket presence, especially when staring down receiver
  • still no look-offs
  • cannot complete a deep pass unless he is chased out of the pocket and allowed to roll right
  • fumbles whenever he retreats backwards as the pocket collapses, but throws into bad coverage when he steps up as the pocket collapses...unless it is a deep ball
  • the deep receiver will never catch a ball in stride from Driskel
  • lots of open receivers running hitch and sit-down routes, but the receivers need to come back and help when he is being chased down by the entire defense (was our offensive line THAT bad?)
  • (I am absolutely sick of watching passes into the flats. That worked for Wayne Peace in the early 1980s, but it does not appear to work for Jeff Driskel.)
  • (this footage does not show Driskel against UGA or Vandy, but the trends above continue through the Sugar Bowl)
Sugar Bowl 2013:

Key notes:
  • Driskel's attempts to go deep were spoiled by interceptions and a backfield flooded by Louisville defenders. Louisville defense also figured out that the Gators only completed passes to the edges, so they pressed the corners.
  • staring down the x-receiver on the left when he has flooded the right side with y, z, and h receivers. WTH? Missed the defender that walked up the middle and sacked him.
  • waits too long to set up middle screens and delayed swing passes
  • throws a beautiful deep ball when in hurry-up mode, and the x-receiver sits on the route waiting for the pass (i.e. not attempting to catch the ball in stride)
  • overall: not much progress from the beginning of the season
Florida Gators 2013 game 1 vs Toledo:

Key notes:
  • Driskel looks somewhat like a polished QB at times
  • rudimentary look-offs and check-downs
Florida Gators 2013 game 2 vs Miami:

Key notes:
  • other than the lack of a rushing game, the stupid turnovers, questionable play calling, and lack of a playmaker receiver, Driskel does well here. Best statistical day of his career, except the two turnovers.
  • look-offs and check-downs not as good as they were against Toledo.
  • WTH happened to Driskel's accuracy rolling right? He threw it right into three Miami defenders!
  • on the interception up the middle, there were two open Gator receivers sitting in the end zone waiting for a pass with no defenders
Overall notes going forward:
  • Jeff Driskel does not seem to have what it takes to be a pro-style passer throwing from the pocket. He is a quick-read, 1-2 option, mobile QB that likes to roll out of the pocket or take off after read #2.
  • The Gator offensive line needs to swap right and left side guards, or the coach needs to let Driskel roll out of the pocket.
  • Driskel can only complete deep passes when he has left the pocket and the receivers are looking at him 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.
  • A defense can shut down Driskel by pressing the corners up towards the receivers in the flat.
The young man has not matured - he still looks like a deer staring into the headlights.

roblou56

Gator Fan
Honestly I've been very pleased with Jeff's progression. The only problem was that first interception. Really, really, really bad decision.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The video evidence shows that Driskel has the talent, but he needs something in order to maximize his potential. I think Coach Pease needs to make a minor tweak in order to get him over the hump.It is easy to assume Jacoby Brissett would have been better, but we lack sufficient data to back up that assumption. I assume with his talents he would have been a good plan B change of pace against Louisville and Miami.

roblou56

Gator Fan
Outside of that first interception, Jeff really played a good game. That second interception could be placed on T. Burton just as much if not more so than Jeff. He got to snap his head around quicker on that route. What concerns me was the lack of production from the running game, Matt Jones getting to much action to early, and stubborn mentality with the TE position. If that's all I'm going to get out of Clay Burton and Tevin Westbrook production wise, I cannot see the harm in playing Thompson and Taylor. I would also like to see more play-action out of two back sets attacking the seams and 20 yard digs. Kind of like Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina like to employ.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema