• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Let's Talk Defense

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
With all the focus on our offense we really have not discussed defense. The SOW offense is built like South Carolina's--one FB to block and an HB to gash the line. This spells trouble for a defense that apparently is built to shut down passing offenses. We are #34 in the nation in run defense--Lattimore ran 212 yards on us (ouch), Alabama's Richardson/Ingram ran 63/47 (not bad run defense), LSU managed 161 yards (average run defense), and Mississippi State gored us for 245 yards on the ground (ouch). We are #13 in pass defense, keeping Alabama at 84 yards, LSU at 224 yards (embarrassing), MSU at 32 yards, and SC at 156 yards (not bad). The key seems to be run defense, because pass defense is usually working despite opponents getting a couple big plays.

Ponder is just as inept at passing as Brantley, so we will need to stop SOW from running at us. I think defense will win the game for us. If we stuff the run, they can't control the clock and wear down our tired defense.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
Lattimore ran for 212 because our defense was on the field the entire night.....well, and because our D-line can't hold their own.:oops:

The Zooker

VIP Member
Linebackers need to step up and compensate for our weakness at DE. They need help plugging holes. Hard to do that when the DE's only weigh 250lbs and aren't fast. And it never takes more than one offensive lineman or running back to completely block them.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is also where our offense comes in: have to avoid so many three-and-outs, obviously. We even approach that kind of disparity in T.O.P. and we're cooked again.
We all bemoan the lack of even ONE Big-Fast-Shut-Down-DE, let alone a "pair of bookends" that could rush the passer AND force runners back into the middle for the linebackers to plug up. Should be at the top of recruiters' shopping lists, but for now we have to do it with positioning, personnel packages, schemes.
Of course, a repeat breakout of missed tackles will render all of that useless, irrelevant.
I REALLY want to beat 'em, somehow more than ever this time. I'm not thinking straight, not even THINKING about it as much as FEELING it, and it's not the wine or the tryptophan (well, not ONLY). I don't know about y'all, but I NEED this one, need to see the youngest Gators, who ARE mostly on defense, get on the field and begin to show us what we can be in the future.

dizzle498

Gator Fan
Our D, especially our D line and linebackers are both young, inexperienced and can't get off the field as well as I would like.

Wait, is it possible to be inexperienced when you have played almost an entire season? Does the maturing process happen in the offseason? Haha, not sure, but I do know that they look it right now, especially on 3rd down.

Maybe Tebow and the O did such a good job the last couple of years keeping the ball and keeping the D off the field that we forgot (including Myer in this) recruit good defensive players and promote good defensive practices.

Just an opinion from a rookie poster.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
Linebackers need to step up and compensate for our weakness at DE. They need help plugging holes. Hard to do that when the DE's only weigh 250lbs and aren't fast. And it never takes more than one offensive lineman or running back to completely block them.

You nailed that one. I knew coming in our DE position was going to be a weak link. Man how many times do you crash the corner just to watch the back bust it outside......AUGH!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema