• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kickers...how important are they?

GatorVirgin

VIP Member
Okay here's a question for all you fans out there. Exactly how important are the place kickers in college football? Or pro football for that matter?

I mean last week (and I'll admit I didnot see the game, but saw the Game Trax on Foxsports) and saw that Ijjas made the extra pts when he kicked, but the other kicker for the gators missed his. At lease one that I know of.

Now in my opinion kickers can make or break a team. They can be the sole difference between a win and a loss. I have seen games lost because of a missed field goal. I think back to when the colts played pittsburgh in a playoff game and their kicker missed a field goal (and threw his helmet on the ground and got a penalty) and it ended up the Colts lost.

So what do you think? Should kickers train harder than they do or do they not make a difference.

I also think they should teach kickers how to tackle for real. I mean teach them how to hit a guy and make him eat dirt. Sometimes on a return he ends up being the last guy there to stop a touchdown run.

Just my thoughts for the day.

preachinGator

VIP Member
Kickers are very important. If the ball goes out of bounds on the kickoff, the other team gets great field position. That can be really bad if the other team only needs 3 points to win or tie and it is the end of the game.

as far as the kicker training harder, it depends on how hard he initially trained. if he does badly in a game, he can just about bet he will be kicking a lot of practice kicks the next week.

Tackling is not his specialty but, yes, he needs to know how to tackle.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Kickers are important, but not as important as the primary skill players like QB or RB or even anyone on the defensive line.

IN the NFL, the difference from the best kicker to the 15th best kicker is marginal. Same with college. But the difference between the best QB and the 15th best QB is very great.

So yes the position is important, but not a top priority in my mind.

GatorVirgin

VIP Member
I totally agree Gatorbaby,,,,,field goals make a huge difference in a game. Auburn won because their kicker had a good night tonight. I still can't believe it.

GatorVirgin

VIP Member
Here's another time a kicker would have made a huge difference. Clemson missed 4....yes I said four field goals and ended up losing to Georgia Tech. I am telling you they may not be as important as the QB, but Kickers are more valuble than people give them credit for.

timbok

VIP Member
think about it this way :
Oregon Ducks vs Florida Gators (imagination)
Now the Gators are favored by 2 touchdowns to win,in the first quarter while already winning 14-0,the gators miss an easy 23 yard field goal...nothing right?
well...the game goes down to the final minute.....ducks loseing 28-26....now if the gators have made that simple field goal earlier..the ducks would have to attemp to make a 30 yard touchdown throw...now though....they make simple kick..and they win

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema