• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Interesting Prediction from Bleacher Report about Brantley

robdog

Gator Fan
No doubt, Brantley's junior year was a disappointment. Praised as a better pure passer than the man he succeeded, 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Brantley struggled in Meyer's offensive system and wound up throwing 10 interceptions and just nine touchdowns.

It was acknowledged well before the season began that Brantley wasn't a great fit for the spread. But that also was said about Chris Leak, who led UF to the 2006 BCS national championship running a variety of the same offense with a few tweaks.

Brantley has better foot speed than Leak and actually might be more accurate. However, Leak had a corps of veteran receivers and a freshman phenom named Percy Harvin to assist him.

Now, Charlie Weis has come to Gainesville, bringing a pro-style offense with him. That will allow Brantley to work under center and do the five- and seven-step drops inside of a pocket that are more conducive to his skill set. Look for him to thrive.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ball-5-predictions-on-offense-for-next-season

There are 5 other predictions in the link above, but the one about Brantley would AWESOME if it comes true. One can hope right???

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
We heard the same **** a year ago. I refuse to bat an eye at this prediction until December!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I read the article--and stopped taking it seriously the moment I grasped the main point about Brantley, right up top.
Oh, it WOULD be "AWESOME if it comes true!", ROBDOG, and I not only will be over-JOYED to be wrong in my pessimism, if it comes to pass I will gladly take whatever ridicule the hopeful faithful (or is that "faithful hopeful"?) want to heap upon me. I'm not sure at what point I would cross that line, come to accept that hey, #12 really is THE MAN, but maybe that's a fun, downtime/in-between-seasons little game we can play here: "Looking ahead to the 2011 season, what kind of sequence of events, in which games and how far into the season, would it take to turn our impression/judgment of John Brantley IV right around?" . Personally, I'm gonna think about it a bit before I answer my own question.
Then again, maybe no one cares. Not just about my opinion, but worrying about young Mr. Brantley in general. How many folks out there even hold high expectations for him anymore? I admit it: MY biggest fear is that we'll waste otherwise more valuable time (we've already used far too much, in my view) waiting for him to come around, waiting for "the pure pocket passer", for which there is no longer much evidence, to "thrive in Weis' pro-style system", for which there is MUCH evidence, with a TRIO of very young QB's about to be available to try their hands at running it. I DO believe there'll be a focus on getting a good look at all three, and on finding a "prime candidate" for 2012 among them.
So there's the OTHER question, sort of a "bookend" to my first:
"At what point do the coaches BENCH Brantley, push him aside to begin the process of finding our next TRUE "Number One Quarterback" going into 2012?" Again, what sequence of events, how far into the season? I gotta admit, this one ain't nearly as "fun" as the first. Man, I would really rather be wrong, I'm telling you...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Can that happen because well the O-line will have new starters (three I think) and that might be a problem in the SEC (especially the Defenses they face) and also the talent around him were recruited for the spread offense not the pro style Will they adept and quickly?

Escambia94

2010 hype : pure passer, good offensive line, great defense
2010 reality: shitty passer, jacked up o-line, good defense
2011 hype: pure passer, good offensive line, great defense

See where I am going with this? It is way too early to buy into the hype. Perhaps I am disgtuntled from last season, but I am going to manage expectations and ignore the hype. As a spoiled Gator fan I still demand an 8-4 season at the very least, maybe 7-5 if we beat FSU 77-2. Other than those rather unreasonable requests, I don't give a squat if Brantley has the preseason Heisman. I also don't want to hear the name Addazio ever again. I am tired of people griping about Urban Meyer. I don't want to read any more about Tim Tebow or Cam Newton, at least not until the NFL lockout ends.

For crying out loud! No more hype on John Walter Brantley IV!!!!! He had better throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs in game 1--and that had better be holding back to avoid exposing page 3 of the playbook. Speaking of playbooks, that 'effing playbook better not be a post-it note with" dive" and "run Tebow" written in crayon! There I go...griping about last season. Back to this season...Coach Boom, please don't suck worse than the 2010 season. Gator fans' memory banks do not reach beyond 1990, and the loudest detractors cannot remember past 2006.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I don't know about good O-line this year because I think only Nixon was a starter from last year and most of the starters were drafted or free agents.

Escambia94

Well I don't know about good O-line this year because I think only Nixon was a starter from last year and most of the starters were drafted or free agents.

I agree with you, but a couple sources (other than Bleacher Report) have cited our o-line as SOMEHOW being a strength this year. Since there are more media than there are Escambia94s, then it must be true.

robdog

Gator Fan
I am pessimistic that all those (or any) will come true. August can not get here fast enough so we can see how the season is going to shape up. Pressure has to be mounting on Brantley that is for sure. I am just hoping with the additional of Weis that these predictions are a greater possibility.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One more time: as far as I'm concerned, John Brantley IV is just the mediocre senior QB who is given the de facto designation, "Starter", while several highly promising freshmen sort out who's ahead in the race to get first crack at that role for real. His former hype (and I'm as sick of hearing about it as you are, E-) is irrelevant--unless and until he suddenly were to begin actually living up to it so long after-the-fact, which I hardly expect and am WAY done waiting for.
Far as I'm concerned, he either dazzles from the start or gets moved to the "safe back-up/kill-the-clock"-role by the end of September; too much raw QB-talent on the sideline for this OC to flog that horse in vain like last year's unmentionable (I'm with you on that one, too, E-).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I agree with you, but a couple sources (other than Bleacher Report) have cited our o-line as SOMEHOW being a strength this year. Since there are more media than there are Escambia94s, then it must be true.

Well I don't know especially with new starters in the Defense oriented SEC. Then again last year they it was suppose to be strong. Nixon should be the strength.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema