• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

George Edwards is our new DC

i like it, the dolphins defense has been pretty good since the 1-15 season

now that this is in place hopefully we can get one of the top defensive players still considering us at the all american game this sat

deansouthpaw

Gator Fan
Being from the Chicago burbs, I don't really know anything about this guy. Can anybody else give me a little more info on why this should be a positive thing for the Gators?

JvilleJohnny

Being from the Chicago burbs, I don't really know anything about this guy. Can anybody else give me a little more info on why this should be a positive thing for the Gators?

Well bringing Edwards in will definitely put a spark in most of the defensive recruits because he has years of NFL and College football experience, and they know that he can help them get to the next level.

At Georgia as a defensive assistant, he tutored Richard Seymour and Marcus Stroud, who were both selected in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft. He was linebackers coach for the Dallas Cowboys where coached Dexter Coakley who went to two pro bowls. At the Redskins he was assistant defensive coordinator/linebackers coach in 2002, and each of the team's three starting linebackers - LaVar Arrington, Jessie Armstead and Jeremiah Trotter - surpassed 100 tackles that season.

So he has LOADS of experience with defensive talent..and IMHO this will be a sustainment if not improvement on our defense.:bananapartyhat:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I won't complain about this hire. Bonus points for working under Nick Saban. We can use someone who knows Saban, considering his teams might be beating us up a bit for a couple years.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I won't complain about this hire. Bonus points for working under Nick Saban. We can use someone who knows Saban, considering his teams might be beating us up a bit for a couple years.

Agree, and love what you said here - Saban's from the Bill Belichick "defense wins championships" school as well as a part of his coaching tree. Nick's modus operandi is defense; I remember back when he was coaching LSU against Oklahoma in the 2003 NC game emphasizing a strong defense during a pre-game interview that year.

(Update: Edwards and Chuck Heater will be co-DC's: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/01/florida-announces-edwards-as-defensive-coordinator-chuck-heater-to-be-co-dc.html#more-2776)

stonythegator

Gator Fan
Truthfully, I never liked Strong and his "If it didn't work the first time, let's keep doing it again and again and again" mentality. I know it's good to blitz and pressure the QB, but running the same blitz more than a two or three times in a row is not very effective. Gator D was good this year, but could have been more creative against some of our tougher games. Missing a bunch of players didn't help during key games either.

I think Edwards will make a fine addition to the Gator family. I respect much of what he has done with Miami. He has a solid record in the past, and seems to be about the best choice for a new DC. We'll see in 2010.

Now, we just need to replace some offensive players and we'll be set.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema