• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators are above competition at moment

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
These excerpts are from the following, click it to read more.
No argument here: Gators are above competition at moment
Nov. 1, 2008
By Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

.............Ask yourself or ask the Gators, who is playing better?
"At this moment?" Florida safety Will Hill said. "No one."..............
..........Redshirt freshman returner Chris Rainey took a late kickoff and all but taunted Georgia, faking like he was going to take a knee and then taking off.
"I told him, 'Catch the ball, Chris and get down. We don't want to get anybody hurt,'" Meyer said. "He speaks a different language than I do." ................
...............It turned into the second-biggest win for Florida in the series history. The biggest? The Spurrier team of 1996 won by 40 in 1996 during that national championship season.
How's that for an omen?....................
..................So, Urban, who is playing better than you guys?
"I read your articles every week," Meyer said. "You tell me."

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I believe it. The Gators are playing the best football in the country right now. We couldn't say that earlier in the year, but over the last 3 games... we've been unstoppable.

Hopefully the Gators can carry that momentum into the SEC Championship.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Urban Meyer may seem aloof at times, but he tells it like it is and doesn't mince words.

As I was saying to another Gator fan at a party I went to before Saturday's game, this 2008 Gator squad could be Coach Meyer's "Redeem Team" following his "Dream Team" of 2006 and the disappointing 2007 season. These guys are playing very well and IMO worthy of their current BCS ranking.

Once we make a few more tweaks (such as: better pass coverage in a zone-defense situation and breaking Caleb Sturgis out of his sometime habit of kicking the ball out of bounds that forces us to cough up yards to the opposing team), we'll be in excellent shape.

A win over Vandy this coming Saturday sends us back to Atlanta and the SECCG. Should all go well in Nashville for us we still can't just sit back; after Vandy comes improving our BCS standing and racking up some "style points" against South Carolina and the school out west. As far as The Citadel goes, I say let's establish ourselves early, get Tebow and our starters out, and let Brantley manage the offense with the rest of our depth chart for some needed gametime exposure.

It all comes down to being in the right place at the right time when all is said and done - if the Gators keep playing with the same intensity they have been since the LSU win we could see a repeat of the 2006 season.

GO GATORS!!!!!!! :gator::gator::gator:

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Kirk Herbstrei agrees with all this. When asked who the best one-loss team in the nation was, he said not only are the Gators the best one-loss team, they are the best team PERIOD.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Kirk Herbstrei agrees with all this. When asked who the best one-loss team in the nation was, he said not only are the Gators the best one-loss team, they are the best team PERIOD.

Now if only that old fart Mike Gottfried and Mark May would see things the same way.......

Nestovelli

Gator Fan
To me this season is more exciting than the 2006 championship season... The Odds have been against us in the past couple of weeks and what to we do to all these senior analyst and Non-Beleivers. We shut them up. Ever since we played Tennessee, People have been trying to put us down and tell us we dont have the big-sized players to win and to watch out for this team this week or florida does not have a chance against a stronger Lsu or and Amazing Georgia team. Well Look at us now. That lost to Ole miss does two things either makes us or breaks us. I truely believe that Ole miss loss Made us evolve into the best Team playing this year. So lets finish this year on top.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
To me this season is more exciting than the 2006 championship season... The Odds have been against us in the past couple of weeks and what to we do to all these senior analyst and Non-Beleivers. We shut them up. Ever since we played Tennessee, People have been trying to put us down and tell us we dont have the big-sized players to win and to watch out for this team this week or florida does not have a chance against a stronger Lsu or and Amazing Georgia team. Well Look at us now. That lost to Ole miss does two things either makes us or breaks us. I truely believe that Ole miss loss Made us evolve into the best Team playing this year. So lets finish this year on top.

Looking back, that Ole Miss loss, in spite of it being a bitter pill to swallow, was the "reality check" this team needed as well as good swift kick in the pants. We took too much for granted in 2007 and became a little too complacent - and it showed. If anything, Coach Meyer didn't want to see a repeat episode of last season happening again.

We were sloppy in that Arkansas win, and after those two games I'll be willing to bet that Coach Meyer, at that point, read them the riot act. It worked - we came out with a better attitude, and the swagger was definitely back in the following games.

Good coaches find ways to win, and this is exactly what Coach Meyer's doing. We have depth and talent on both sides of the ball that we lacked last season, especially on defense, but that's far from the case this year. There's also a much stronger chemistry on this 2008 team, which Meyer made mention of in a post-game interview following the Kentucky win and from what I picked up from the glimpses along the Gator sideline. Percy Harvin had talked about a weakness in team unity last season, especially after the Cap One loss, and I'm sure this was emphasized in the off-season this past spring and summer.

As I see it Urban Meyer is starting to come full-circle with the Gator football program. In his fourth year nearly every player has played their entire career under his leadership, and our guys have bought into his program. I'd love to see him win another National Championship or even more during his career at UF, and possibly even surpass what Steve Spurrier accomplished. What's he's doing for Florida football is right, and I only see upside from here on out.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Looking back, that Ole Miss loss, in spite of it being a bitter pill to swallow, was the "reality check" this team needed as well as good swift kick in the pants..............................................
I couldn't agree more. I think that as we approach the end of the season there will be a resurgence of the video tape of Tim's impassioned promise after that game. Although it makes for good drama for tv, I think that what fires this club to reach for that golden ring is Meyer.
Good coaches find ways to win, and this is exactly what Coach Meyer's doing. We have depth and talent on both sides of the ball that we lacked last season, especially on defense, but that's far from the case this year. There's also a much stronger chemistry on this 2008 team
He is the quintessential Coach. The leadership and sacrifice of self for Team trickles down from the top and becomes infectious. :gator:

castawaygator

VIP Member
Once we make a few more tweaks (such as: better pass coverage in a zone-defense situation and breaking Caleb Sturgis out of his sometime habit of kicking the ball out of bounds that forces us to cough up yards to the opposing team), we'll be in excellent shape.

i fully agree!!!

Now if only that old fart Mike Gottfried and Mark May would see things the same way.......

Mark May said the UF was by far the best 1 loss team in the country. dr. lou is not convinced though. he is the one that needs proving.

i am very hopeful that we will win out our season and beat bama in the sec champ game, but do not overlook any of the teams we need to play!!!

they all will be looking for a highlight to cap off disappointing seasons!

vandy started strong and they play hard, they should be considered dangerous.

the cocks have an impressive D but sloppy offense. as long as our D shows up (especially the secondary) they should not be a problem.

citadel should be a gimme recovery week/ experience builder for our backups.

FSU will be dangerous! due to the rivalry factor!

and finally bama.... our D had better be considered a top run D in the country to stop them!!! considering how we stopped the run in LSU and UGA i am very optimistic.

Yes Florida has to take care of bizz the remaining four we have...Vandy always plays us tough and USC with the ole call coach always plays us good as well and then we have the cupcake game and then the school outwest which I hate but they will play us hard this year I believe. BUT as of right now we are playing this best football around right now...watch out we may make it to the NC game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema