• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators’ quick turnaround is garnering attention

Hype is nothing new to Billy Donovan. This time last year his Florida Gators were in the middle of defending their national championship run, which they did in April.

So after Florida — which lost all five of last year’s starters — won at South Carolina and at home against then-No. 14 Vanderbilt last week, the Gators became the talk of the SEC with their 5-1 conference start and No. 20 ranking, Florida’s first spot this season in the poll.

“I’m always reluctant to buy into any type of hype about our team, whether it’s negative or positive,” Donovan said. “It’s about us being the best we can be. I don’t look at it as where are we at in relation to are we surprising people, but are we playing at the level we’re capable of.”

But after the Gators’ 86-64 thrashing of the Commodores on Sunday, Florida is on a three-game winning streak and has seven victories in their last eight contests heading into Saturday’s match with Arkansas.

“They lost more than anybody in the league and they’ve obviously rebuilt it quickly,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said. “They’ve exceeded a lot of people’s expectations, and I’m one that’s surprised they’ve had this much success so quickly.”

In usual Donovan fashion, it’s been in an unselfish team effort as 60.7 percent of made baskets include an assist. Against Vandy, Florida dished out 26 assists on 29 field goals.

“One thing we’ve just tried to emphasize with our guys is everybody try to play off each other,” Donovan said. “We’re going to try to spread the wealth around and evenly distribute the shots.”

Donovan has also found a way to get his young team to focus on defense. The Gators allow 63.8 points per game — second in the conference — and have held 18 of their 21 opponents below their scoring average.

They are also posting the nation’s sixth-best scoring margin at plus-17.3 points per game.

“What I’ve tried to focus on is our team trying to play to the best of our ability and be the best we can be,” Donovan said. “You’ve got to be able to let the result fall where it may.”

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/jan/30/gators-quick-turnaround-garnering-attention/

GOG8RS

Gator Fan
Remember two years ago when Noah, Horford, and Brewer were no name sophomores that came out and spanked everyone? I'm not saying that it will happen, but it would be pretty dang impressive if Billy D can pull it off again with this crew.......GO GATORS!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema