• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Game Day (11/29/14): At Doak Cambell

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
and he's the coach for the bowl game though not sure they should play in one.
Again, yeah, that was my first thought about it as well--that maybe we should pass...Few of us interested in some "You Lost Five Games"-Bowl, and skipping it, declining the invitation certainly would say to ourselves and everyone else, "We;re neither proud of, nor do we accept or desire "reward" for that kind of season, but reason kickked in eventually. To wit: Given today's rules for practicing and of course actually playing another team, one that is presumably doing their damnedest to beat us, you pretty well HAVE to take the opportunity to extend your season another 4-plus weeks--for the sake of time and important experience on a young team, if nothing else...Og course, if a new Coach were to get in here and begin HIS time with them THAT would add to its value immeasurably--but I don't foresee THAT happening, more's the pity.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Football teams should always take a bowl game invitation. The games are more for the players and traveling fans than the television viewers.

If the Gators get the Independence Bowl, I think 20,000 fans will travel to Shreveport from Florida, plus another 5,000 displaced Gator fans from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The predictions point to Virginia or Virginia Tech. Either team will be happy to bring 20,000 fans out of the winter storms to Shreveport.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Football teams should always take a bowl game invitation. The games are more for the players and traveling fans than the television viewers.

If the Gators get the Independence Bowl, I think 20,000 fans will travel to Shreveport from Florida, plus another 5,000 displaced Gator fans from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The predictions point to Virginia or Virginia Tech. Either team will be happy to bring 20,000 fans out of the winter storms to Shreveport.
Sorry, E-, but I think you are dreamin' here--on several counts.
(1) You of all people know LOT of us "fans" are a good deal less than thrilled with how this season has gone, and see a Crap Bowl as an unseemly reminder of that...We may pull more than I expect from the North, just as you say, but there will still be a BUTTload of unsold tix from those allotted to UF for this one, wherever, WHATever it is--mark my words. Aside from some "snowgators", how many will "celebrate" the season--ours OR Xmas/New Years--in Shreveport? Hell, did you see all the empty seats for our last coupla SEC games--IN THE SWAMP, fer cryin' out loud--when a piece of the SEC-East was still up for grabs? Maybe I'm blind, ignorant, whatever, but I just don't see it in our fanbase, and though there'll be those that criticize us for that supposed "lack of unquestioning loyalty", I'm OK with it: I don't WANT to see us honoring mediocrity, getting so used to it we'll follow it anywhere. In today's world, "voting with your wallet and your feet" is the one way that gets everyone's attention--especially those responsible for us having everything and everyone they can find and pay for to make sure it doesn't happen again.
(2) The way it is "good for the players" is the same way it is "good for the TEAM"--which clearly is the main reason BY FAR that even those of us who might otherwise be inclined to reject the invitation, for the sake of "pride and dignity", have or will come around to accepting it: ie. For purely practical reasons having to do with GETTING BETTER IN THE FUTURE--or at least not falling further BEHIND. If it happens to be something the seniors remember with pleasure, well and good--but there's also a chance they get hurt in the otherwise "meaningless" game, so no matter what anyone may think about my cynically practical attitude toward most of the "post-season" in college football (towards anything BUT the Playoffs now for programs like ours, imo), a case could be made we're not doing THEM any favors playing in it anyway.
You understand what I'm saying here, right E-? Yes, we should "accept the invitation", foolish NOT to given how negative the consequences for those that DON'T make "eligibility". It's almost like dropping to a lower division, like they do it in the English Football (soccer): In fact, all of it adds up to the only real reason to have this otherwise ridiculous situation, where more than half the 100-plus teams in what amounts to the "top division" of college football end up playing in SOME "Bowl Game". You lose so much advantage in NOT having that 4-to-6 weeks more of practice/experience time, plus one more full-contact game against an unfamiliar opponent, that it further separates you from those who do...They're getting better, and you're not.
But it ISN'T some "reward", not really, in most cases--not for programs like ours. More like "avoiding further decline", for the most part. In fact, no matter what kind of "good face" they put on it for promotional/TV ratings purposes, even the "traditional " Post Season Big Bowl Games' luster has been somewhat dulled over the last few years, as we transition to "the new reality". Oh, they are still more celebrated, a bigger deal than the lesser ones (especially the ones at "the bottom" that seem to come and go now, year by year), but let's face it: Unless they (Orange, Rose, Fiesta) are somehow made the actual Playoff Games themselves in some "annual rotation" set-up, they will more and more be just glorified "consolation games" designed for "ideal-TV-audience-consumption"--different from the "Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl" and all the rest only in degree.

Escambia94

@DRU2012
Economics I. The 2013 Sugar Bowl made $35M in profit. Florida ate $2.45M for unsold tickets, which has actually been the norm over the past few years. Nobody talks about Louisville eating almost a $1M on its unsold tickets, because nobody gives two sh!ts about Louisville. Out of the $2.45M that Florida had to eat, it made back $1.1M, which was used up to pay for travel, hotels, conference rooms, and complimentary tickets for friends and family of the team. Net result: even though Florida was 7,000 short on its 17,500 ticket allotment, it can afford to lose $2.45M. This is why the bowl selection committees love to pick Florida--they can afford to keep coming, and they keep bringing $10M of revenue to the city that goes to the bowl committee, the host committee, and the local community (hotels, restaurants, tourist sites). Tell Louisville to bring $10M of revenue to any bowl site year in and year out, and they will easily tap out after a year. Louisville would be bankrupt now if they had not demanded $6M payout from Texas for Charlie Strong.

Correction: I rounded up to 20,000 in my earlier post, but it should be 17,500 for the Sugar Bowl, probably 15,000 for the Independence Bowl.

Economics II. The bowl season was created to boost the winter travel boom. Large schools with large expatriate fan bases have shown time and time again over the past 50 years to bring attendees proportional to the size of the school. For example, Florida currently has 51,000 students and consistently brings 15,000 to 25,000 fans to bowl games for a ratio of 1:3 to 1:2. Consistently. Floridians love to travel. The Gator Nation has hundreds of thousands of alumni plus hundreds of thousands of associated fans spread throughout the U.S. who happen to be within driving distance to most bowl games geographically accessible to Gators.

Player Reward. The players need to have accomplishments to put on their resumes. The bowl game is an opportunity to get a bowl MVP or extra highlight for the NFL scouts. Bowl game highlights boosted the scout rating for the likes of Ahmad Black, Chris Rainey, and Omarius Hines, who would never get a second look based on game footage.

Program Reward. Even mighty Alabama had to suffer through the Independence Bowl (2001, 2006-7) and the Music City Bowl (1998, 2004). Note that those bowl games occurred while Florida was going to the Sugar Bowl, Chik-Fil-A/ Peach Bowl, and Orange Bowl. There are worse bowl games, but any bowl game is considered a reward for a program--even mighty Florida.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, BIG NEWS wipes away a lot of other talk, here included:
We Got A New Head Coach!!!
I HAD a lot to respond to above (@Escambia94, )--and debated whether it was really worth the time and effort to do so, given that clearly you were sticking to the basic "facts" of it all, whereas I was TRYING to get at what I consider the underlying "realities" of these kinds of situations...It's a way we have of "missing" each other in these discussions...
All moot now, though:
McEllwain from CSU in as our new Top Gator.
Follows a sort-of-pattern that has been successful before in G-ville:
Offensive-minded, young-with-hot-handed success at smaller program, comes in--hopefully hits ground running.
Spurrier, Meyer, both similar set-ups, in general terms.
Glad it came this early, right after the FSU game after all (if admittedly a bit surprised--thought it'd be best, but "everyone" told me that it wouldn't happen 'til later in Dec.)...Give Foley and Co. marks for deciding who they wanted, then going out and getting it done FAST. Hope they got it right. Fits "the bill" from my P.O.V., as I say.
Thoughts out there???

miltongator

Gator Fan
Not exactly the "sexy" hire we were hoping for, but we shall see.

hopefully he's already out on the recruiting trail. We need a bunch 0f 4*'s and maybe a 5 or 2.

Last edited:

Escambia94

I am excited about the hire. Coach Mac's offensive dismantling of the #2, 2009 Florida defense signaled the end of Florida's reign atop the SEC. Who better to restore that glory than the coach that helped break Florida in the first place? (Obviously Saban and Smart are part of that dismantling, along with team issues, but the key stat is that McElwain's offense was the only one that broke 200-ish yards on Florida that year, and they did it in convincing fashion with 450-ish yards).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema