• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Saturday Oct. 6 Gators vs. LSU Tigers (The Swamp)

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
our punt team did awesome, defense did even better, great pick for play of the game. I was yelling at the refs on the tv while it was under review.

PS - i also ran laps around my driveway for every touchdown with my Gator yard gnome lol, neighbors understand because 2 houses down is an Ohio State flag and directly across is a West Virginia flag lol

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Now the Gators look like last year's LSU team in some ways. What the Gators need to do now is find some explosion in the pass offense before we can regain the swagger. Running offense, special teams, 2nd half defense, and coaching seem to be clicking.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
our punt team did awesome, defense did even better, great pick for play of the game. I was yelling at the refs on the tv while it was under review.

PS - i also ran laps around my driveway for every touchdown with my Gator yard gnome lol, neighbors understand because 2 houses down is an Ohio State flag and directly across is a West Virginia flag lol
(laughing) OK--Now it can be told: I do sit-ups & push-ups (laid up with broken kneecap/brace-on-leg)!
(Btw--My TAMU-neighbors here in Austin can hear me whooping--and as now-SEC-members just hollered "Congratulations--now I don't feel so bad about y'all beating US!"...I'll return the kind words if/when West Virginia beats Texas here at Darell Royal tonight--that Aggie hate-for-all-things-Longhorn runs deep...Always saw it as similar to our cross-state rivalry with FSU, but also more like Miami in that after a long, RABID rivalry, the two don't have any plans to play each other at this time--one of the reasons they loved joining the SEC is so that they COULD say, "We don't NEED you...")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Can't get OVER how good I feel about this win...Until now, even after A&M when I realized this WAS a different team this year, each Saturday as soon as the game-that-day was over I immediately started worrying about the next one--and ALWAYS there was "that LSU game", looming a bit further down-the-line. I am going to finally ENJOY this one, settle back and watch the other games (Got 3 of 'em up there now, with Georgia-USC on the main screen) AND monitor the highlight shows for Gator-highlights. In fact, I'll bail soon and go over to girlfriend's place--stayed home and warned her off for this game, and it turns out she had it on herself and called happily to ask if she could come pick me up "now that y'all won" (which is all-around somewhat of a further "win" for me: she's originally from just NE of Houston, hard by the La.-border, definitely LSU-country and who she was exposed to even more than the Houston Cougars growing up--she's a hot-tempered, independent-minded young lady, so the idea that she would by now rather see the Gators win and me be happy than root for the Tigers is definitely sweet of her...MUST make sure I show appreciation in some no-doubt INappropriate way....)
Meanwhile, the Gamecocks are just HANDING it to the Bulldogs in Columbia--between a return-for-TD after Georgia's one score, and the rest of the time running it down their THROATS for 3 straight drives, all for 6, well, this doesn't look like "the other tight defensive game in the SEC today" after all--it's 21-0 after just one qrtr. UGA better pull it together and make some stops, their offense get a couple of scores and get this thing close, within 7 or 10 pts by the half if they wanna make a game of it after the break.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now the Gators look like last year's LSU team in some ways. What the Gators need to do now is find some explosion in the pass offense before we can regain the swagger. Running offense, special teams, 2nd half defense, and coaching seem to be clicking.

That's an interesting appraisal, E-: We DO look a lot like the LSU of last year, complete with missing offensive-pieces, though I think we are a tougher, more physical team than they on offense--at least once we make adjustments and settle down in the 2nd-half. We continue to show our weakness at WR AND its related problem in our return-game: every punt was either fair-caught or let bounce-to-be-downed...no serious rush-to-block, CERTAINLY no return-chances set up lately, BOTH of which used to be Gator specialties. We are STILL a fast team, so it must be a matter of philosophy rather than personnel--and with everything ELSE about our special teams being first class, this "missing piece" is hard to fathom. In the kinds of close, grind-it-out-late-games we're likely to find ourselves in the rest of the way here this season, I'm thinking it's a big mistake to leave ANYTHING out of our arsenal. Gotta work on that, get more from both the kicking and the passing games--and as I say, that means either finding another playmaker, or see at LEAST one of the ones we expected to fill that role finally step up and fulfill their (supposed) potential.

Escambia94

I firmly believe LSU would have beaten Alabama in the BCS CG last year if the Tigers did not have locker room issues in December and January. I am starting to believe this year's Gators resemble last year's LSU, but with much better second half adjustment on defense. It would be nice to see some Gator explosion out of Andre Debose or Omarius Hines. I would also like to see Mack Brown step it up in relief of Mike Gillislee. The Noles will figure out quickly that they just need to stuff Gillislee or try to hurt him (think Darnell Dockett twisting Earnest Graham's leg in 2001), and we need to pound the Noles this year and every year hereafter.

Once again, the rest of the schedule is winnable. In an odd twist, maybe South Carolina will be more of a challenge than LSU. Or maybe Florida just matches up against LSU that well. I am still trying to figure this win out. Georgia looks beatable. I never fear FSU, but we all know that FSU gets the rest of the season to save up against Florida. A lot of times the winner of UF-FSU came down to which team was banged up less.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, going by the 1st half in UGA/USC, it looks like the Gamecocks will be our toughest match-up the rest of the way...and I ALWAYS figure FSU is "closer-to-Earth" (and everyone else) than their truly lite-weight schedule leads many gullible/biased/just-plain-ignorant media-folk tend to credit them with each year. Look, this Gator team is one that HAS to focus on the task ahead, just ready itself thoroughly and realistically for the next game, and let everything and everyone else take care of itself--we could lose almost ANY of the games left, but there aren't any we have NO chance, or even merely a slim chance, I now believe, of winning, ultimately. It's still too far off, requires too many hurdles and tasks that must be negotiated before we get there to even begin to dwell on it, but for the first time I am willing to grant we may have a shot at accomplishing something special this season after all. That's as far as I'll go now, and even THAT I'm back-pedaling furiously away from in my head now, having written it there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So: Where does that leave the top SEC teams after today? Maybe Alabama (#1), S. Car. (#3), Gators (#5)?
(I just don't think they jump us to #4...Heck, I'll be happy if they put us at #5, frankly...)
Good as this Gamecock defense has played today, the Bulldogs just look mediocre on BOTH sides of the ball--but it's the previously-much-fawned-over Georgia-offense that has looked particularly inept this eve', just ineffective in every phase of its preparation, planning and execution. The fact that its defense can't stop USC, that behind here early in the 2nd half they cannot stop a fairly straight-off-its-blocks, vanilla running-attack to shorten what has become for Ga. a looonnnnng night, a slowly sinking ship, SHOULD in my view send them OUT of the "Top 10"--you don't get HANDLED this badly, and in every way, by ANYONE and get to stay in that company...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Another point I plan to raise again and examine further this week in the aftermath to this one, once I've seen the game replay, has to do with finding ourselves at LEAST one true play-maker among our speedsters at WR/Return-guys. We have GOT to find someone who can fill BOTH of those rolls: otherwise teams will just be able to sell-out elsewhere, knowing they have nothing to fear deep. That's going to cramp our running game, our ability to spread out opposing defenses in 2nd- and 3rd-and-longs--and in our championship years our rush- and return-the-punt potentials paid off big-time here and there to allow us to take some games that we otherwise wouldn't have won--and at times where a loss would have ENDED that season's hopes. OK--this is a different kind of team, but in a long, hard season, I believe Special Teams always end up helping you win at least one game you WOULDN'T have otherwise.
(Btw, in that USC/UGA blow-out, the Bulldogs have come apart entirely, playing disorganized, undisciplined and selfishly "I-don't-give-a-damn" football now...They may find themselves in a slide fromn here, losing one or two more despite their talent--that happens to teams that begin to act this way with time left on the clock in the 4th qrtr...as the crowd laughingly chants, "Over-Rate-ed, Over-Rate-ed"...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
NaffGutts
(PS--I have GOT to get ME a "Gator Garden Gnome"...never have seen one, even online--and that's the only way I'm gonna get one from here in Tejas, I'm fairly sure--so I can only imagine what one looks like, but I have a pretty vivid image of it in my head, and as I say, I WANT one, ASAP! I mean, ANYONE can fly a Gator flag out front on gamedays here in Austin--and there are at least a few dozen I have noticed around town over the years--but it takes a square-jawed, hardcore fan to plant that Gator-gnome in the front yard year-round!)

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
NaffGutts
(PS--I have GOT to get ME a "Gator Garden Gnome"...never have seen one, even online--and that's the only way I'm gonna get one from here in Tejas, I'm fairly sure--so I can only imagine what one looks like, but I have a pretty vivid image of it in my head, and as I say, I WANT one, ASAP! I mean, ANYONE can fly a Gator flag out front on gamedays here in Austin--and there are at least a few dozen I have noticed around town over the years--but it takes a square-jawed, hardcore fan to plant that Gator-gnome in the front yard year-round!)

I picked one up from a sports store in Myrtle Beach one weekend, it doesn't stay outside though. I have a spare bedroom that i painted Official Gator colors(Home Depot) and have rugs, door hangers, flags, jerseys, helmets, etc etc.. I'll take some pictures and post them up for you guys, even friends who hate the Gators tell me how bad ass the paint job looks, only took me 2 days(1 to tape, 2nd to paint). It's blue on orange with about a 1 foot thick white line running horizontal in the middle. I pride myself on it.

So other than our Gators winning, how about FSU getting thumped by NC State. Tebow said it best when he tweeted "Great day to be a gator"

Escambia94

It was a great day. Florida wins. SWAC and the Ewe both lose. It's great to be a Florida Gator!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I picked one up from a sports store in Myrtle Beach one weekend, it doesn't stay outside though. I have a spare bedroom that i painted Official Gator colors(Home Depot) and have rugs, door hangers, flags, jerseys, helmets, etc etc.. I'll take some pictures and post them up for you guys, even friends who hate the Gators tell me how bad ass the paint job looks, only took me 2 days(1 to tape, 2nd to paint). It's blue on orange with about a 1 foot thick white line running horizontal in the middle. I pride myself on it.

So other than our Gators winning, how about FSU getting thumped by NC State. Tebow said it best when he tweeted "Great day to be a gator"
It was a great day. Florida wins. SWAC and the Ewe both lose. It's great to be a Florida Gator!
All around best night so far, BY far this season...but as I caution elsewhere (just one point in new thread, just posted), we should also take the FSU result as a bit of a warning, too (but that doesn't change the outright hilarious satisfaction of seeing the bewildered look on the faces of their players and fans at the end--and knowing that was mirrored and multiplied in thousands of rooms and homes in Tallahassee and all OVER the State of Florida last night!)...Also LOVED hearing the quick-stepped backtracking from the ESPN-guys, who all agreed that "...Florida has the best resume right at this moment in college football", and "...if Florida isn't in the Top 5 after today, then they're ranked too low!"...not so sure we'll be in that position at the END of the season, but of COURSE I agree with it right now--and beyond that I don't care to discuss the ifs, buts or maybes until we get there (again, see new thread).
Oh, and PLEASE go ahead and put up a pic or two of that room of yours, NF--would love to check it out!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema