• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

For more research on the Canes

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
go to

https://savagegatortales.com/more-research-on-the-canes/

There're several articles about their key play makers and how they are coming along with the new offense.
You'll find me a deep and full-ON "Cane-Detractor", SG...Personally, my only real interest in them is their deserved demise.
This all goes back to a time that I think you remember and must have observed some part of: Growing up IN Florida, right up into the mid/late 70s and their seeming "rebirth" under Schnellenburger (just about parallel with our own socalled first "AWAKENING OF THE SLEEPING GIANT" under Charlie Pell), I was actually a Huricane fan--secondary to our Gators, of course (am a life-longer, from a Gator family: I had my CHOICE of schools to attend--but there was never any DOUBT), but certainly having a more positive view and attitude toward them (even as a "worthy instate rival" each Opening Day of our seasons back then, when we traditionally MET "The U" each year--and UNLIKE the already more hard-edged rivalry with our CROSS-State foes in Tallahassee).
But everything changed at the end of the 70s and into the 80s with the dark and viscious hardening down there of a proudly thug-like attitude and eventually pervasive personality of both football teams and the program behind it all for years to come, AND one representative of a seemingly large portion of their student and fan-base.
I won't go into a litany of my own and so many others' personal experiences right here and now--We've done that pretty damn thoroughly, with widespread participitation from Gators far and wide, in the past describing our having to fight our ways into and out of that dark and dingy old Orange Bowl as "Visitors", defending old Alumni couples from roving bands of bullying U-fratboys bent on surrounding and intimidating them (...well, TRYING: I also remember for example arriving with buddies on a ramp underneath the stands just in time to see and defend a tough ol' ex-Marine Gator as he sent a roundhouse to the jaw of a big ol' muscle-bound Cane student who'd just insulted his gator-patterned-bonnet-clad wife and sharply pushed her; We got there just in time to bust upon them from behind, break it up and chase them off...I eventually arrived back at my car that day, miles from the OB, just a simple standard orange and blue "Gators"-script bumper sticker on its rear bumper, and found tires slashed and windshield smashed)...All in all "old news", yes, and only raised here now in order to explain mine and others' reasons for long and deep memories and feelings in this regard, to remind you all once again that all this and more, in large doses, ultimately led to our UF Regents CANCELLING further meetings with that "Foul U" in the early/mid 80s, a LONG period of deepening disgrace (and yes, Nattys, thanks to Jimmie) down there in Coral Gables, and now tentative, careful reconnection (and then only at the short-memoried urgings of politicians) in recent years.
Whether the spoiled little gold-chokered miscreants can manage civil behavior in honorable competition remains to be seen in the seasons ahead.

Mike Hicks

Gator Fan
With 4 probations under their belt and having paid players for years no one can accuse Miami of playing fair. That said, we still have to face them in our season opener and the Canes have always played us tough. The hatred they feel for the Gators is palpable and stretches back several decades. Miami for quite a while had rosters filled with players having been arrested for more than just misdemeanors. One doesn't have to think back very far to remember Lobster Willie Williams as the type of player they would recruit. . For those of you that don't recognize the name see https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ams-college-footballs-first-celebrity-recruit

Until recent years Miami recruited players that wouldn't qualify academically at most other schools. NCAA changes in academic requirements changed that to some extent. It is easy to not respect Miami's methods but they still hold the lead in our series with them. I've already predicted that we are likely to win the game but we should not underestimate them. They have talent and speed on their roster. What makes game planning for them difficult this year is the new coaches and many of their players will either be transfers or new recruits. There are a lot of unknowns about the Canes.

More research on the Canes

It appears the Canes new OC Dan Enos is shaking things up a bit by utilizing a fullback. I wonder how much he brought with him from Bama? Will this offense be similar to the Tide’s?

Spring Practice #10 — Offense and defense worked separately during the viewing period today

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...pring-practice-dan-enos-fired-up-offense-more

Miami Hurricanes News & Notes: The AC was shut off in the IPF heading into scrimmage #2

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...-shut-off-in-the-ipf-heading-into-scrimmage-2

Jeff Thomas Already Impressing in His Return to Miami

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...mas-already-impressing-in-his-return-to-miami

DT Silvera working hard to improve, responds to UF DE Chatfield

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Florida-Gators-DE-Andrew-Chatfield-131108885/

FB George has made ‘a big jump’ since last season

https://247sports.com/college/miami...-made-a-big-jump-since-last-season-131093058/

WR Pope working on learning the new offense

https://247sports.com/college/miami...orking-on-learning-the-new-offense-131092279/

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With 4 probations under their belt and having paid players for years no one can accuse Miami of playing fair. That said, we still have to face them in our season opener and the Canes have always played us tough. The hatred they feel for the Gators is palpable and stretches back several decades. Miami for quite a while had rosters filled with players having been arrested for more than just misdemeanors. One doesn't have to think back very far to remember Lobster Willie Williams as the type of player they would recruit. . For those of you that don't recognize the name see https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ams-college-footballs-first-celebrity-recruit

Until recent years Miami recruited players that wouldn't qualify academically at most other schools. NCAA changes in academic requirements changed that to some extent. It is easy to not respect Miami's methods but they still hold the lead in our series with them. I've already predicted that we are likely to win the game but we should not underestimate them. They have talent and speed on their roster. What makes game planning for them difficult this year is the new coaches and many of their players will either be transfers or new recruits. There are a lot of unknowns about the Canes.

More research on the Canes
NOTE FROM SENIOR MODERATOR

Please understand: For reasons already given (in response to first post along these lines yesterday), and for SO many more...
WE DO NOT FOLLOW THE CANES AT THIS SITE.

It appears the Canes new OC Dan Enos is shaking things up a bit by utilizing a fullback. I wonder how much he brought with him from Bama? Will this offense be similar to the Tide’s?

Spring Practice #10 — Offense and defense worked separately during the viewing period today

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...pring-practice-dan-enos-fired-up-offense-more

Miami Hurricanes News & Notes: The AC was shut off in the IPF heading into scrimmage #2

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...-shut-off-in-the-ipf-heading-into-scrimmage-2

Jeff Thomas Already Impressing in His Return to Miami

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2019/4/...mas-already-impressing-in-his-return-to-miami

DT Silvera working hard to improve, responds to UF DE Chatfield

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Florida-Gators-DE-Andrew-Chatfield-131108885/

FB George has made ‘a big jump’ since last season

https://247sports.com/college/miami...-made-a-big-jump-since-last-season-131093058/

WR Pope working on learning the new offense

https://247sports.com/college/miami...orking-on-learning-the-new-offense-131092279/

AGAIN... Let me make this thoroughly clear:
WE DON'T "FOLLOW" THE CANES HERE AT GATOR ENVY!
An analysis of their weaknesses in the days leading up to PLAYING them is one thing. But the above, especially now, seems to belong elsewhere.
(Some minutes later--after re-reading and considering this post in full: )
On further reading and consideration, I have reevaluated and further considered the above post--and do now see it as a (VERY) early analysis of an important (season-OPENING, after all) future opponent. I may be overly-reactive when it comes to this particular instate rival, one with longtime baggage for us, for me PERSONALLY, in fact, as I have long referred to. So I apologize if I went too far in resisting its inclusion at THIS time.
I have already been thinking about that first game too, am worried about it: It could deflate our season right from the start--its only limiting factor the very fact that it isn't in the SEC, AND we'd still have the whole season to reduce its importance and ultimate effects. But better to beat them and send us in the right direction from the start.
I still think it's a bit early to focus on them in such detail--but I certainly DON'T have anything LIKE that kind of detail on their roster OR staff, and am glad someone among us DOES, comes the point we DO turn to face them--WHEN (hopefully) we have a better idea of what WE have got, and what we are planning on trying to do with it all.
So I apologize for the tone, if not all behind it, SG. It happens with me, from time to time--and when it comes to the CANES, I make few apologies: I really do despise and mistrust them, and everything surrounding and connected with them.

Mike Hicks

Gator Fan
AGAIN... Let me make this thoroughly clear:
WE DON'T "FOLLOW" THE CANES HERE AT GATOR ENVY!
An analysis of their weaknesses in the days leading up to PLAYING them is one thing. But the above, especially now, seems to belong elsewhere.
(Some minutes later--after re-reading and considering this post in full: )
On further reading and consideration, I have reevaluated and further considered the above post--and do now see it as a (VERY) early analysis of an important (season-OPENING, after all) future opponent. I may be overly-reactive when it comes to this particular instate rival, one with longtime baggage for us, for me PERSONALLY, in fact, as I have long referred to. So I apologize if I went too far in resisting its inclusion at THIS time.
I have already been thinking about that first game too, am worried about it: It could deflate our season right from the start--its only limiting factor the very fact that it isn't in the SEC, AND we'd still have the whole season to reduce its importance and ultimate effects. But better to beat them and send us in the right direction from the start.
I still think it's a bit early to focus on them in such detail--but I certainly DON'T have anything LIKE that kind of detail on their roster OR staff, and am glad someone among us DOES, comes the point we DO turn to face them--WHEN (hopefully) we have a better idea of what WE have got, and what we are planning on trying to do with it all.
So I apologize for the tone, if not all behind it, SG. It happens with me, from time to time--and when it comes to the CANES, I make few apologies: I really do despise and mistrust them, and everything surrounding and connected with them.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't wish to cause friction with you here, so I'll be very careful and restrained if I write something.
Aw, don't worry bout it too much, SG--we don't stand too much on either "formality" OR "over-sensitivity" here, least I HOPE not. I know I can be prickly at times myself--especially when it comes to certain subjects. "Da 'Ew' " is one of them, I admit it...but PLEASE don't feel you have to tread TOO carefully. Just keep it in mind, take it into account if and when MY comments in such discussions seem out of proportion to relatively mild intent. For my part, I apologize now and in advance of future "outbursts"; just know that you will hopefully be accorded similar patience, when it comes to any of one's own "sore spots", should they arise.
Ideally, this is a safe place for rabid-yet-thoughtful gator fans to hang, talk, vent and generally band together as we ride the wild ride that comprises following our school and program's endless quest for greatness. Your strong voice is welcome here: THAT remains true, regardless.

Mike Hicks

Gator Fan
Aw, don't worry bout it too much, SG--we don't stand too much on either "formality" OR "over-sensitivity" here, least I HOPE not. I know I can be prickly at times myself--especially when it comes to certain subjects. "Da 'Ew' " is one of them, I admit it...but PLEASE don't feel you have to tread TOO carefully. Just keep it in mind, take it into account if and when MY comments in such discussions seem out of proportion to relatively mild intent. For my part, I apologize now and in advance of future "outbursts"; just know that you will hopefully be accorded similar patience, when it comes to any of one's own "sore spots", should they arise.
Ideally, this is a safe place for rabid-yet-thoughtful gator fans to hang, talk, vent and generally band together as we ride the wild ride that comprises following our school and program's endless quest for greatness. Your strong voice is welcome here: THAT remains true, regardless.
Good to know. I follow the Canes because I grew up in Coral Gables and we used play them every year. To be clear I too despise their tactics and fans. On another subject my wife's name Leslie appears here as mine which is Mike. She is not Savage Gator. Can you help correct this error?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good to know. I follow the Canes because I grew up in Coral Gables and we used play them every year. To be clear I too despise their tactics and fans. On another subject my wife's name Leslie appears here as mine which is Mike. She is not Savage Gator. Can you help correct this error?
We'll get that name thing fixed for you, Mike--just been preoccupied by "life stuff" of late and now this, closest thing to a "real game" we've had or will have for some months...
And thanks for filling in the background for your longtime South Fla/Coral Gables ties. I myself had so many central and south Fla ties, friends and family, growing up--and as I mentioned to you earlier, it wasn't til I was well into my actual time AT UF, and our deteriorating relations with the U, along with their seeming "deals with the Devil" into the 80s and on, when my once-support and friendly relations with fans all dissolved, became eventually outright mutual hostility. I understand if that still means a certain amount of inner-conflict for you.
Anyway, back to today's game...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leslie Hickland,
I see why this is a particular problem for ya here: Your "user name" ISN'T YOU!
So: Ideally, how would you like this to go?
Do you wish to start over, simply have either "Mike", "Mike Hickland", or "Savage Gator" (choose one--or something new?) appear with your posts and henceforth function as your "user name"? And do you want your wife's name to be left up as HER future access/"user name" on Gator Envy, or do y'all prefer that dropped entirely (and let her join however/whenever she likes, if at all, in her own time and way)?
You are free to answer here, OR use the options available up top under "DRU2012" to contact/discuss this (and/or anything else) privately. Lemme know, and we'll get it done. Meanwhile, have a great day!

Mike Hicks

Gator Fan
@Leslie Hickland,
Do you wish to start over, simply have either "Mike", "Mike Hickland", or "Savage Gator" (choose one--or something new?) appear with your posts and henceforth function as your "user name"? And do you want your wife's name to be left up as HER future access/"user name" on Gator Envy, or do y'all prefer that dropped entirely (and let her join however/whenever she likes, if at all, in her own time and way)?
You are free to answer here, OR use the options available up top under "DRU2012" to contact/discuss this (and/or anything else) privately. Lemme know, and we'll get it done. Meanwhile, have a great day!
"Savage Gator" would work just fine-Thanks

Mike Hicks

Gator Fan
@Leslie Hickland,

Thanks for changing my profile name from Leslie to Savage Gator!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema