• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida Gators 84, Troy State Trojans 45

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sigh...Well, so far, at least based on news and impressions after LAST season and into the start of THIS one, THESE Gators at least appear to be EXCEEDING “expectations”...
Admittedly I am among the “We’re a FOOTBALL SCHOOL!” crowd to great degree...but I DO enjoy seeing us “in the Dance” round the time of SXSW ...just in case it indeed RESUMES live/on-site here in Austin once more in 2022 (although with the rise of this “COVID Omicron variant” may well now be postponed/cancelled once again)...but when it’s on, it adds an edge of excitement and common social exchange among citizens from all over who attend; I’m usually involved in SOME capacity, so yeah, I’d LOVE to see our GATORS return to prominent advancement).
Now, of course with just minimally FIVE players required on the floor at any time, it is potentially at least MUCH easier to see a program “TURNED AROUND” by just one outstanding recruiting cycle, practically unforeseen from one season to the NEXT—something not at all really doable at all for a football program...Hence, “hope springs eternal” for roundball fans.
Just sayin’.
I watch when they’re on, of course. But it has been a while since they seemed at ALL a “juggernaut”, coached by one of a handful of “uber-Coaches” out there...I guess with all the money going out to Football Coaches (present and parted), it isn’t all that surprising we apparently DON’T have it to throw at one of those “easily I.D.’d FEW” on the basketball side of things...right?
Is Florida B-ball even considered one of “THOSE jobs”? I do not get that impression.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Sigh...Well, so far, at least based on news and impressions after LAST season and into the start of THIS one, THESE Gators at least appear to be EXCEEDING “expectations”...
Admittedly I am among the “We’re a FOOTBALL SCHOOL!” crowd to great degree...but I DO enjoy seeing us “in the Dance” round the time of SXSW ...just in case it indeed RESUMES live/on-site here in Austin once more in 2022 (although with the rise of this “COVID Omicron variant” may well now be postponed/cancelled once again)...but when it’s on, it adds an edge of excitement and common social exchange among citizens from all over who attend; I’m usually involved in SOME capacity, so yeah, I’d LOVE to see our GATORS return to prominent advancement).
Now, of course with just minimally FIVE players required on the floor at any time, it is potentially at least MUCH easier to see a program “TURNED AROUND” by just one outstanding recruiting cycle, practically unforeseen from one season to the NEXT—something not at all really doable at all for a football program...Hence, “hope springs eternal” for roundball fans.
Just sayin’.
I watch when they’re on, of course. But it has been a while since they seemed at ALL a “juggernaut”, coached by one of a handful of “uber-Coaches” out there...I guess with all the money going out to Football Coaches (present and parted), it isn’t all that surprising we apparently DON’T have it to throw at one of those “easily I.D.’d FEW” on the basketball side of things...right?
Is Florida B-ball even considered one of “THOSE jobs”? I do not get that impression.

Florida's basketball program is the only one to win consecutive national championships this century or even in the past three decades. I have seen the program listed as a top-10 position just for basketball. Under Billy Donavan it was in the top 10 in terms of revenue, but is currently around #30. In terms of pure profit, Donovan had the team in the top 5, and White has the team just outside the top 20. For reference, Kentucky and Louisville average about $55M in revenue and $30M in profit. Florida comes in with about $15M in revenue and about $15M in profit (thanks to many donors). I would consider Florida to be a top job for basketball coaches.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Florida's basketball program is the only one to win consecutive national championships this century or even in the past three decades. I have seen the program listed as a top-10 position just for basketball. Under Billy Donavan it was in the top 10 in terms of revenue, but is currently around #30. In terms of pure profit, Donovan had the team in the top 5, and White has the team just outside the top 20. For reference, Kentucky and Louisville average about $55M in revenue and $30M in profit. Florida comes in with about $15M in revenue and about $15M in profit (thanks to many donors). I would consider Florida to be a top job for basketball coaches.
I admit to my OWN “limits” here, both in interest (an admitted “distant 2nd” to Football) AND ongoing level-of-awareness...
With Donovan I had a certain amount of ongoing “monitored interest”, but with White never quite so much. I didn’t have much hope for any kind of real spark of excitement growing on that side of things coming into THIS season’s campaign, and cannot say that the “buzz” I’m told is there and growing now has really caught MY attention as of yet.
However, as I say, the flash and FUN that we had there for a coupla years under Donovan—when BOTH the football program under Meyer AND that of Donovan’s basketball Championships at the same time was something amazing, very special to be around—that particular End-of-Winter-INTO-SPRING when I was able to wear my favorite “15–TEBOW” game jersey while overseeing arrangements around stages at the Convention Center and major showcase venues downtown that year, when we’d already won the Football Natty and now were seemingly, inevitably, UNSTOPPABLY driving for the roundball one as WELL, everyone focusing on “bracketology” and giving us (giving ME, when I COULD proudly wear my shirt) our props for a general across-the-board domination that hasn’t been seen, before or SINCE...well, it was something NEW, UNSEEN BEFORE, SOMETHING WE ALL KNEW WE WOULD NOT LIKELY SOON SEE AGAIN!!!
Even then I knew how rare this all was. Let us just leave it there, not even TRY to dwell on it all here and now...
Thank the fates for having seen and had those moments at all in the FIRST PLACE.
So many things have changed, both in the game itself, the technology surrounding both the game AND the way it is covered, along with scheduling and SHOWING it all on TV, can say just what will be shown or how we all will witness it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema