• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida Gators 2011 Recruiting Class

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Here is the Florida Gator recruiting class of 2011, ranked number 11 in the country, and was probably the best class under Will Muschamp. The Gators took in 19 recruits. As of December 2012, six have transferred out, three have not yet accrued any statistics, and one has barely registered any stats. Both QBs transferred out, and the star of this class was All American punter, Kyle Christy. This class had 9 ESPN top 150 athletes, with 6 on offense. Only 2 of them finished football careers with the Gators. The remainder transferred at some point.

This class had 1 five-star, 16 four-star, and 11 three-star athletes. 9 athletes transferred out of this class (1 five-star, 6 four-star, and two three-star), and one player medically retired.

FirstLastPosHtWtHigh SchoolRatingNotes
Jeff​
Driskel​
QB​
6-4​
235​
Oviedo, Fla./ Haggerty​
0.9916​
Transferred to La Tech 2015; 2016 (6th round, San Francisco 49ers)​
A.C.​
Leonard​
TE​
6-2​
245​
Interlachen, Fla./ Interlachen​
0.9727​
Transferred 2012 (Tenn St)​
Mike​
Blakely​
RB​
6-1​
170​
Bradenton, Fla. / Manatee​
0.9711​
Transferred 2011 (Auburn)​
Jacoby​
Brissett​
QB​
6-5​
225​
Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. / Dwyer​
0.9405​
Transferred to NC St 2013; 2016 (3rd round, New England Patriots)​
Jabari​
Gorman​
S​
5-10​
170​
Miami, Fla. / Monsignor Pace​
0.9368​
2015 (UFA)​
Ja’Juan​
Story​
WR​
6-3​
195​
Brooksville, Fla./ Nature Coast Technical​
0.9348​
n/a​
Marcus​
Roberson​
CB​
6-1​
170​
St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL)​
0.9269​
2014 (UFA)​
Javares​
McRoy​
WR​
5-7​
159​
Lakeland, Fla. / Lakeland​
0.9153​
Transferred 2012 (Texas Tech)​
Valdez​
Showers​
S​
6-0​
185​
Madison Heights, Mich/ Madison Heights​
0.9054​
2016 (UFA)​
Loucheiz​
Purifoy​
CB​
6-0​
170​
Pine Forest (Pensacola, FL)​
0.8955​
2014 (UFA)​
Graham​
Stewart​
LB​
6-0​
215​
Middletown, Ct. / Xavier​
0.8912​
Transferred 2012​
Trip​
Thurman​
OL​
6-6​
310​
Dover, Del. / Dover​
0.8876​
2016 (UFA)​
De’Ante​
Sanders​
S​
5-9​
190​
Deland, Fla. / Deland​
0.8797​
Transferred 2012 (Tenn St)​
Clay​
Burton​
DL​
6-3​
235​
Venice, Fla. / Venice​
0.8681​
n/a​
Chris​
Johnson​
LB​
5-9​
205​
Ocala, Fla. / Ocala Catholic​
0.8637​
Transferred 2013; died 2014​
Tommy​
Jordan​
OL​
6-5​
285​
Ridgefield, Ct/ Ridgefield​
0.8618​
Medical retirement 2013​
Hunter​
Joyer​
RB​
5-11​
245​
Tampa, Fla. / Tampa Catholic​
0.8618​
n/a​
Kyle​
Christy​
K​
6-3​
195​
Brownsburg, Id./ Brownsburg​
0.8369​
n/a​
Tevin​
Westbrook​
DL​
6-5​
250​
Coconut Creek, Fla. / North Broward​
0.8240​
2015 (UFA)​

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's see, 2011...That's the first year Muschamp came--and a recruiting-class that was just a couple of weeks after his hiring! While he did have some honorable folks here already to help him and his OWN considerable talent and insight with which to work, he HAD to more or less rely on the legwork done by MEYER'S staff--with Meyer himself working against him, covertly even before he got here (in trying to cull the best--as in "most-talented/least-trouble-making"--of those prospects and woo them to tOSU with HIM instead), then OVERTLY once he was run outta here (and I don't want to start that argument again, but it remains a FACT that, though Foley and the rest put as good a face on it as they could for the sake of their own and the program's image, behind-the-scenes and in any practical assessment "run outta here" is no exaggeration as to the sudden change-in-attitude, practical shutting-off-of-access, and basic "Don't let the door hit you-in-the-ass-on-your-way-out" way that contact between Meyer and UF was ultimately managed--because MEYER had shown himself to have abused the trust everyone up-'til-then thought he'd deserved).
All things considered, that we did as well as we did out of that class borders on amazing...Even more than was appreciated at the time, we weren't NEAR as damaged by that experience as we well might have been. When you consider the 1/2 dozen individuals that were "lost"/"didn't work out", it is clear by standards of quantity OR quality that NOT "getting screwed up badly by 2011" may have been as important as how WELL we did in 2012, and in (what looks to be an amazingly even BETTER) 2013 as well.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94, OK--'nuff said (sorry).
In truth, I really appreciate your threads, columns and comments, E-, and am certain everyone else does here as well--even those "silent guests" I've referred to--maybe ESPECIALLY them...I mean, they're coming and spending time and attention, bouncing from thread-to-article-to-thread for SOME reason: More likely YOUR contributions than mine, for eg.

(Umm, ps...Happy New Year.)

Escambia94

This class rates at about a 1.1 GPA right now.
CB Pop Saunders 5-11 170 from Deland High School, Deland FL 3* EE 0
WR A.C. Leonard 6-3 220 from Interlachen High School, Interlachen FL 4* EE 0
QB Jeff Driskel 6-4 225 from Hagerty High School, Oviedo FL 5* EE 4
WR Javares McRoy 5-9 165 from Lakeland High School, Lakeland FL 4* EE 0
FB Hunter Joyer 6-0 245 from Tampa Catholic High School, Tampa FL 3* 2
OL Tommy Jordan 6-5 285 from Ridgefield High School, Ridgefield CT 4* 0
WR Ja'Juan Story 6-3 190 from Nature Coast Technical High School, Brooksville FL 4* 0
K Kyle Christy 6-2 175 from Brownsburg High School, Brownsburg ID 3* EE 4
OT Trip Thurman 6-6 305 from Dover High School, Dover DL 3* 1
CB Loucheiz Purifoy 5-11 170 from Pine Forest High School, Pensacola FL 3* 3
DB Valdez Showers 6-0 180 from Madison Heights High School, Madison Heights MI 4* 1
S Chris "Juice" Johnson 5-11 205 from Ocala Catholic High School, Ocala FL 3* 0
LB Clay Burton 6-3 230 from Venice High School, Venice FL 4* EE 2
RB Mike Blakely 5-9 194 from Manatee High School, Bradenton FL 4* 0
CB Jabari Gorman 6-11 175 from Monsignor Pace High School, Miami FL 4* 1
OLB Graham Stewart 6-4 225 of Xavier High School, Middletown CT 4* 0
DE Tevin Westbrook 6-5 260 of North Broward High School, Coconut Creek FL 3* 1
S Marcus Roberson 6-0 180 of St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Fort Lauderdale FL 4* 2
QB Jacoby Brissett 6-5 225 of Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer High School, Palm Beach Gardens FL 3* 0
19 21

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not good. However, among those left ARE a FEW really good ones who will likely play important roles in whatever success we are to realize in 2013...and then there is JD, for whom yes, the jury is still out (I like him, expect big things from him, but he really DOES have to make GOOD on it all this year)--but we all better hope he comes through, BIG time, if the offense is to begin to properly hold up its end. With so many talented-but-inexperienced young lions on DEFENSE who will be playing together for the first time, though I think they'll be really good as the season goes along, we will likely NEED more offensive output in the early going, if we are to keep winning in the early going while the D rounds into form. Eventually this defense is going to be even BETTER than last season's (which is SAYING something), and if we turn out to have a decent offense, itself continuing to grow in strength and efficiency, by the time that it is then the 2013 Gator squad will be a formidable unit indeed by the 2nd half of the season.

Escambia94

No matter what, Jeff Driskel still rates an A from me. He would have to transfer out in order for me to give him anything any lower; however, if I had to redo his high school rating I would demote him from 5 star to 4 star and change his classification from pro-style to dual-threat.

Trip Thurman is dangerously close to going from a D to an F. He needs to keep his nose clean with the law. Marcus Roberson can be demoted from a C to a D if he loses even more playing time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm a Driskel guy, y'all know that--but even I have to concede that it is time for him to now TAKE "that next step"...I'm among those who expects him to DO just that (his "retroactive rating" means nothing to me, frankly--there was debate about that even at the time, and by now I'm concerned only with his present and future development).
Roberson showed some real skill and drive finally towards the end of last season...If he continues in that vein and becomes more steady and consistent at that level-of-play, then the only reason he won't start in 2013 is because we've now got guys who have even more talent and upward potential--and THEY begin to come into their own in THEIR first seasons here...If he keeps his nose clean and keeps working hard, though, he will at least find himself a PART of the on-field mix, I think.

Escambia94

I am a Driskel supporter, but I want the best athlete to win the position. If the Gators land JUCO transfer Tanner McEvoy, then I want them to battle to the death to make sure the best man wins.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I think the idea is for McCoy to be a promising/reliable backup--against whom Mornigweg will begin competing. The INTENTION is (at least through the spring and, provided he continues to improve, heading into the 2013 season) that JD be the "unquestioned starter and leader of this offense", the pressure now solely on him to SUCCEED, to "come into his own", rather than to feel he has anyone "breathing down his neck" any longer.
I know you (and others) don't agree with this approach, E-, but I am well-convinced that it is the way the Coaches are trying to frame things at this time.
That isn't necessarily MY "opinion", btw--but it IS how I understand and envision the way THEY think is best, most realistically hopeful and effective, and how they want JD to feel in order to give him the best chance of living up to those hopes and expectations.
So please don't "shoot the messenger".

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema