• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Elam to the SOW

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
http://gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11609

O-town Gator, I tried to warn you last time we talked about Elam potentially going to FSU, but all that happened was I got called chicken-little.

I'll say it again; do not underestimate FSU. They are getting talent into their program with talented recruits like Elam and Luc and with the Bowden situation resolved, Jimbo Fisher is now in control.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I was just comparing Florida's situation to Texas. Texas will never really have this problem. Florida has to compete with two universities, FSU and Miami, that have national championships and tier-1 talent. On the other hand, Texas does not get serious competition from Texas A&M, Houston, Rice, or other Texas schools. What I am trying to get at is that Florida has been in this situation before and has thrived. We may not win a national championship with the 2010 class, but we can still win. FSU and Miami were bound to make comebacks eventually, just as Florida made its comebacks after its dark years. The current situation at UF may have made things worse, but we were already expecting somewhat of a rebuilding season. Maybe we'll just have to recover with next year's recruiting class. Or, maybe this class will still be good enough with the right coaches.

I was just comparing Florida's situation to Texas. Texas will never really have this problem. Florida has to compete with two universities, FSU and Miami, that have national championships and tier-1 talent. On the other hand, Texas does not get serious competition from Texas A&M, Houston, Rice, or other Texas schools. What I am trying to get at is that Florida has been in this situation before and has thrived. We may not win a national championship with the 2010 class, but we can still win. FSU and Miami were bound to make comebacks eventually, just as Florida made its comebacks after its dark years. The current situation at UF may have made things worse, but we were already expecting somewhat of a rebuilding season. Maybe we'll just have to recover with next year's recruiting class. Or, maybe this class will still be good enough with the right coaches.

oklahoma gets a ton of tx kids and texas tech

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
oklahoma gets a ton of tx kids and texas tech

That's pretty much my point--75% of Florida's players are from within the state of Florida itself, a state that itself has two other tier-1 teams. I am not entirely convinced that Texas Tech is a tier-1 school. Some may call it so, but I do not. The University of Texas gets 45% of its players from Texas, and, as you alluded to, 30% from Oklahoma. The talent pool in Texas is large enough when they can get almost as many players outside of Texas as inside without fighting recruiters from other schools. Name the last time another Texas school won the NC. How about a BCS conference championship? Now do the same within the state of Florida.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
http://gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11609

O-town Gator, I tried to warn you last time we talked about Elam potentially going to FSU, but all that happened was I got called chicken-little.

I'll say it again; do not underestimate FSU. They are getting talent into their program with talented recruits like Elam and Luc and with the Bowden situation resolved, Jimbo Fisher is now in control.

And I still think you fret way too much. You seem to think that the ship is sinking fast and we're headed for disaster, and you're overreacting.

We still have a good list of commitments coming in, so there's really no need ot be worried.

And as far as FSU, I still say the jury's out on Jimbo Fisher. Disagree with me if you want, that's your privilege - but I won't lose sleep over it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema