• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Competition for the starting QB job in 2011?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think Brantley, Reed, Burton, and (Driskell though I think he should be red-shirted unless he's better than the three) should compete for the starting QB job for 2011 whoever wins is the QB.

limelight543

Gator Fan
Driskell might not come lol at this point in time i would be surprised if he did...idk why he would playing time to get sacked 24/7 isnt a good reason.

The Zooker

VIP Member
If Meyer is the head coach in 2011 then Brantley is our starting QB. Don't start believing Reed is a real option at quarterback just because he had a good game throwing against Vanderbilt. Let's not forget that Reed voluntarily moved to TE because he said it was too difficult to be a QB. The sad thing for our program is that the best total package at QB in 2011 might be a true freshman. But Meyer will never list him as the starter. So get cozy with the idea that Brantley is our starter for next season because he is. And get cozy with the fact that we don't have a real offensive lineman coach that can teach our players how to protect our quarterback. And get cozy with the fact that Brantley will continue to throw high on 99% of his passes. Just get cozy with the fact that our program is in serious trouble if real changes don't start happening soon.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
i can tell you brantley does not deserve a shot to compete. Unless we change our whole style of offense why bother even letting him compete. He may look good in practice but he looks like crap in games. Maybe the fact that you cant hit the qb in practices has a lot to do with him performing better in practice. Unfortunately that does not apply to game time situations. Perhaps if we change our jersey colors to red he can pretend he wont get hit and throw a decent pass.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Brantley will always look better than Burton, Reed, or Driskell in practice, but not in real games. It looks like we all know this, but the coaches do not. Brantley is the starter in 2011. Driskel will probably be #2. Burton and Reed will permanently transition to TE, WR, or RB. Then again, if we got a new coach in 2011 who knows what happens? New coach, new start--start the freshman QB?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Brantley will always look better than Burton, Reed, or Driskell in practice, but not in real games. It looks like we all know this, but the coaches do not. Brantley is the starter in 2011. Driskel will probably be #2. Burton and Reed will permanently transition to TE, WR, or RB. Then again, if we got a new coach in 2011 who knows what happens? New coach, new start--start the freshman QB?

At this point, I believe it is our only hope to begin the road back to greatness NEXT year...
And remember: each year lost going backwards takes at LEAST 2 to recover from--and THAT'S only with the right change(s) at the right time--we've already lost one (a little more, really, when you factor in Addazio's influence LAST season, Meyer's "freak out", and a whole Spring and Summer wasted on Brantley and that whole phony "adapting the offense"-sham), so if this continues through NEXT year we'll be at least FOUR YEARS BACK--this is exactly how long-successful teams slips into mediocrity for extended periods. If they (or US, horrible as it is to contemplate) DON'T make the change in a timely fashion AND they don't get it right when they do, it can all just seem to slip away. Look at our cross- and down-state rivals for the way NOT to do things!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
At this point, I believe it is our only hope to begin the road back to greatness NEXT year...
And remember: each year lost going backwards takes at LEAST 2 to recover from--and THAT'S only with the right change(s) at the right time--we've already lost one (a little more, really, when you factor in Addazio's influence LAST season, Meyer's "freak out", and a whole Spring and Summer wasted on Brantley and that whole phony "adapting the offense"-sham), so if this continues through NEXT year we'll be at least FOUR YEARS BACK--this is exactly how long-successful teams slips into mediocrity for extended periods. If they (or US, horrible as it is to contemplate) DON'T make the change in a timely fashion AND they don't get it right when they do, it can all just seem to slip away. Look at our cross- and down-state rivals for the way NOT to do things!

And the Zooks years 2002-04.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
But there, Foley MADE "the right move at the right time"--and we came back, with a vengeance! Literally "better than ever", in fact--but don't forget, we got Tebow a year later--and that skews everything the next four years. Can't count on a player like that coming along that way again, himself the perfect fit at the perfect time. No, this time we're gonna have to do it the hard way--with a TEAM of talented players, working hard, playing with and FOR each other in a well-designed system tailored to their talents--with players who fit the philosophy of our coaches. Ideally it works both ways.

Yup, unless Meyer leaves or gets fired Brantly will be the starting qb by virtue of well he waited behind Tebow...don't let a little thing like skill sets get in the way of clouding your decision!!

crmixon

Gator Fan
Ok Brantley waited behind Tebow. He got his chance and has BLOWN it! Put Jordan in for the rest of the season or teach Trey to throw. At least those two want to win and are not afraid to be hit. I could stomach the losses if it felt like Brantley was trying.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
We need a QB change now. I'm sorry to say it, but I just don't think Brantley has it right now. He can't move in the pocket which leads to the sacks. And he can't see anything down the field.

When Reed throws, he is able to move around and see the open receivers down field. We haven't really seen Burton throw, which makes me think the coaches really are not confident in his ability yet.

So what I am getting at is moving Reed to QB for the rest of the season. He may not start next week, but we may want to look at him for the FSU game.

We need a QB change now. I'm sorry to say it, but I just don't think Brantley has it right now. He can't move in the pocket which leads to the sacks. And he can't see anything down the field.

When Reed throws, he is able to move around and see the open receivers down field. We haven't really seen Burton throw, which makes me think the coaches really are not confident in his ability yet.

So what I am getting at is moving Reed to QB for the rest of the season. He may not start next week, but we may want to look at him for the FSU game.

I agree 100 %

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema