• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charlie Weis...Excited About Pro Style Offense?

dizzle498

Gator Fan
Now that basketball season is over, we can get down to business, football business that is.

With Charlie Weis as our new coordinator, we will be running the pro style offense...How does anyone feel about that? Personally, I am excited about it...there are a few draw backs though...Brantley is not a pro style QB, so we will have growing pains there...I think Brantley is a good enough athelete though that he will make it work.

Of course if we were running a pro style offense, Tebow would never have been as effective too...do you think Weis will be flexible enough to use all of Brantley talents? Or do you think he will be Mike Martz style stubborn and run our O into the ground? Big questions coming out of spring practice for sure.

robdog

Gator Fan
Is this the same thing he tried to do at Notre Dame? I guess it worked out pretty well, to bad ND had a poor D. Going to be interesting to see what he can come up with this year.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I'd say Brantley is a pro style quarterback. I realize he didn't do well in the Spring Game, but I've never really viewed the Spring Game as a good judge of how things are going to go.

As for Weis perhaps running our O into the ground, I don't think it'll come to that. There's talent there at QB, maybe it takes us a season to get firing on all cylinders but we'll still be right there in the thick of things for the SEC East this season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not worried about Weis "running our offense into the ground" (Are there really more than a handful among the Gator Nation "faithful" who ARE, at this point?!!)--I AM concerned about whether Brantley can run it at ALL!
As for whether he's a "pro-style quarterback" or not, all we've ever heard about him is that "he's a pure pocket passer with a great arm". If that somehow doesn't suit Charlie's offense, what conclusion can be drawn? What kind of offense IS he right for?
Oh, I know: the practice squad! Perfect for a "Practice Star", who apparently dazzles the experts when no one ELSE is watching.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am not worried about Weis running the offense into the ground. I am worried that in "just a spring scrimmage", our prototypical pro-style QB lacked the fundamentals. I was happier about Driskel's 3 incompletions than Brantley's 4 completions, because the fundamentals were there. Murphy had the best fundamentals and results. Brantley: lock on receiver, stare at receiver, miss receiver. Murphy: read one, read two, read three, set, throw. Driskel: read one, read two, read three, run or safe over-throw. Two of those are good sequences for a spring scrimmage. One is not. I am not even worried about the stats yet. I will worry about stats in September, and I personally did not see the fundamentals commensurate with a 5th year senior playing in an offense that allegedly suits his skills, and that he has been honed for since P-wee football.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Is this the same thing he tried to do at Notre Dame? I guess it worked out pretty well, to bad ND had a poor D. Going to be interesting to see what he can come up with this year.

Those Notre Dame teams in 2005 and 2006 were fun to watch I admit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not worried about Weis running the offense into the ground. I am worried that in "just a spring scrimmage", our prototypical pro-style QB lacked the fundamentals. I was happier about Driskel's 3 incompletions than Brantley's 4 completions, because the fundamentals were there. Murphy had the best fundamentals and results. Brantley: lock on receiver, stare at receiver, miss receiver. Murphy: read one, read two, read three, set, throw. Driskel: read one, read two, read three, run or safe over-throw. Two of those are good sequences for a spring scrimmage. One is not. I am not even worried about the stats yet. I will worry about stats in September, and I personally did not see the fundamentals commensurate with a 5th year senior playing in an offense that allegedly suits his skills, and that he has been honed for since P-wee football.
There it is, simply and concisely put.

Escambia94

Going back to the Notre Dame question, did anybody follow them in '05-'06 who can give information to calm the Gator Nation? I find it hard to believe that any coach would purposely tell his starting QB to abandon fundamentals in the spring game, embarrass the team on tv, and alarm an entire fan base. Is Coach Weis that sneaky?

robdog

Gator Fan
Those Notre Dame teams in 2005 and 2006 were fun to watch I admit.

Definitely was exciting. To bad Quinn didn't work out in the pros. I really thought he would of done better than he did. But you never know until you take that first snap! Anyways, I am expecting some similar results from our Gators over the next couple of years. :)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As many have noted, Charlie has a lot more to work with talentwise across-the-board this time, too--this Gator squad is already significantly superior to what Notre Dame now generally fields, and our annual recruiting-potential is by now unmatched by all but a handful of programs (a group that Notre Dame has not been among for some time, despite their somewhat delusional self-image).
Y'all are kidding about them purposefully under-performing in order to surprise and gain competitive advantage, right?-- "abandon fundamentals", "embarrass team on TV", "alarm an entire fan base" (all quite true, BTW)--I don't have to go over all the things wrong with that scenario, do I?
Now, the idea that the coaches (and Weis in particular) may have gone into the "game"/scrimmage with certain plans and intentions to accomplish set goals and learn more about the work they have ahead of them, without REGARD for how competent or "slick" the total package, or any particular part of it, appeared to be (especially considering the mitigating factors affecting our lack at certain positions)--that is somewhat conceivable, strategically AND tactically. However, I have to believe they were hoping (even counting on, to some extent) for a better showing from Brantley.
Coach M's post-"game" comments (from responses to several different questions over the 24 hours afterwards) come into sharper focus with that in mind; in fact, when you include what I believe is his "final word" on the Gator QB competition coming out of Spring, ie. that they'll all be starting fresh and have a shot at the starter's position, it seems clear that JB has essentially "fallen back to the pack". Remember, he came into the year with all kinds of advantages as the long-preparing, sole-experienced "senior starter" who in the past HAS shown evidence of mad technical skills; he HAD to be the "presumed starter" coming into the 2011 season. It's taken a number of missed opportunities AND performance red flags to leave him only barely in front at this point--in competition with an until now mostly overlooked redshirt freshman, a talented-but-raw true freshman (who was here only because he enrolled early--he's still basically a highschool kid!), and a guy who isn't even here YET!
When you step back and consider the situation, you realize: "What else can Muschamp, Weis & Co. really do or say about it right now?" They see the difficulties and the dangers, and they have to play this out very carefully, keeping options open as necessary while things--and PLAYERS--develop. Given all of that, I guess they've told us about as much as they can for now; for any deeper insight we have to read between the lines.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Definitely was exciting. To bad Quinn didn't work out in the pros. I really thought he would of done better than he did. But you never know until you take that first snap! Anyways, I am expecting some similar results from our Gators over the next couple of years. :)

He can coach them (Quinn and Clausen) into the NFL. Brantley might be a different story but let's see what happens with Driskell.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Personally, I am confident in the process and its likely outcome--and excited as hell to watch it unfold over the next few seasons.
Like distant thunder in advance of an oncoming storm, we are witnessing the early signs and opening stages of what could be an unprecedented era of sustained success in Gator Nation.
I wouldn't even share that anywhere else but here; clearly there are some rough patches ahead, obstacles and set-backs that will likely have to be absorbed and/or overcome along the way--and anyway WE don't go "out there" pounding our chests, loudly boasting and proclaiming success that hasn't yet occurred. We'll leave that to 'Canes fans--and more and more 'Noles, who have apparently taken one win over us in a down year, a single decent recruiting class and a little extra off-season press-attention as an assurance of complete superiority and pending World Dominance. That's a swelled balloon I'd love to see us get the opportunity to pop, but given that game's usual position at the end of the regular season, I suspect that will already have been accomplished, probably more than once, before we get our turn in the swamp. It will still be satisfying, regardless.

Escambia94

I think we are in for one more rough year where Alabama, LSU, and FSU will pound us before we unleash a 90% Muschamp team that will dominate. Think of 2005, Meyer's first year using Zook's recruits. The transition was shaky, but we had a better QB, more RBs, better WRs, and a similar defense then. It might look the same or worse this year, definitely not better. Throw in what might be an improved Alabama and FSU team compared to '05, and we are in for a rougher ride. I did not expect Brantley to win the Heisman in the spring game, but I did expect him to show he was on the path to recovery. Looking to '12, what I see is that Muschamp is patient enough to have a transition year while rewarding some of the hard working Meyer recruits. I don't like it, but it's his team. The Gators will not dominate with the Meyer prima donnas, just as they did not win last year with Meyer prima donnas. I can only hope that Muschamp is stripping away the old Meyer benefits from the national championships, such as preferential treatment, first pick on equipment, first pick on dorms and off-campus housing, etc. Those benefits lead to prima Donna attitudes, which may have forced the decline of the Meyer era. Meyer was smart in '05 when he stripped the team of everything. Break 'em down and build 'em up. I'm not sure we are seeing that with Muschamp. I hope he has a plan, maybe similar to Spurrier's--bench players quickly for poor performance. It should not matter that a kid will have future NFL draft stock--perform now or kiss the NFL goodbye.

robdog

Gator Fan
He can coach them (Quinn and Clausen) into the NFL. Brantley might be a different story but let's see what happens with Driskell.

To be fair though, he had Quinn/Clausen for their who NCAA career. He is going to get Brantley for maybe 1?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we are in for one more rough year where Alabama, LSU, and FSU will pound us before we unleash a 90% Muschamp team that will dominate. Think of 2005, Meyer's first year using Zook's recruits. The transition was shaky, but we had a better QB, more RBs, better WRs, and a similar defense then. It might look the same or worse this year, definitely not better. Throw in what might be an improved Alabama and FSU team compared to '05, and we are in for a rougher ride. I did not expect Brantley to win the Heisman in the spring game, but I did expect him to show he was on the path to recovery. Looking to '12, what I see is that Muschamp is patient enough to have a transition year while rewarding some of the hard working Meyer recruits. I don't like it, but it's his team. The Gators will not dominate with the Meyer prima donnas, just as they did not win last year with Meyer prima donnas. I can only hope that Muschamp is stripping away the old Meyer benefits from the national championships, such as preferential treatment, first pick on equipment, first pick on dorms and off-campus housing, etc. Those benefits lead to prima Donna attitudes, which may have forced the decline of the Meyer era. Meyer was smart in '05 when he stripped the team of everything. Break 'em down and build 'em up. I'm not sure we are seeing that with Muschamp. I hope he has a plan, maybe similar to Spurrier's--bench players quickly for poor performance. It should not matter that a kid will have future NFL draft stock--perform now or kiss the NFL goodbye.

Geez, I'd heard mutterings about some of that over the last couple of years, but I hadn't realized the extent of the problem--Was it really that bad, THAT obvious and pervasive up close? Of course, even as I ask that question, a part of me, a BIG part already figures it knows the answer: it explains so much so completely. It shows you how smart and good folks can go so far astray: it happens incrementally, all for "good and honorable" reasons. "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions", indeed.
It HAS to end. Even if it causes early problems and upheaval behind the scenes that affects team cohesion and performance NOW, it is the only way. When it comes to "group esprit de corps", honor, duty and responsibility are their own rewards. I know that from the military, but the lesson applies just as surely here.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...I should add that I HAD settled on a range of potential outcomes record-wise for the Gators in 2011, based on what we knew and saw so far: I'd had us anywhere from matching last year's total in the regular season to winning 2 or 3 more--that is, 7 to as many as 10 wins with the realistic likelihood towards the lower end, depending on what happened with injuries, fortune and at the QB position.
Now, factoring in (what to me is) new information on a serious behind-the-scenes team-morale quagmire, at the very least I'd have to say the high-end number will be that much more unlikely to be reached--but if it means breaking from that whole mess and restoring a sense of fairness and solidarity on- and off-field, in the long run it'll be MORE than worth it. This is the kind of thing that separates great teams from the talented under-achievers, the perennial contenders from the "what happened to them?"s.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema