• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Can't Wait to See the Defense

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
199 more days until Gator football! I repeat, 199 more days until Gator football!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We KNOW we'll be relying on our "D" for most of the first half of the season--and tho' young, the talent AND coaching is there to at least keep us IN every game. If the offense comes around (and the Q's at QB are only PART of the story there) in a timely fashion we could be tough to beat by November. A few things go our way in the early going and this could even be a fairly successful year overall, record-wise. No matter what, I think it'll be an exciting ride--and a prelude to a championship run in 2012.
Meanwhile, like E- we're ALL counting down...BTW, your count is 'til KO in our first game, right E-?
Thankfully, we have Spring Practice (and, hopefully, open coverage on a daily basis), the Orange and Blue Game, then Summer Practice to help feed us some (albeit relatively weak) fixes of Gator Football along the way. It ain't the season, but when you're jonesin' like we are, you take what's there, right?

Escambia94

Yes. I am counting down to kickoff. Unless the O & B Debut is streamed on the Internet I won't see it here in Texas. In the meantime I am trying to get into basketball, but it's just not the same.

At least if we lose 4 or 5 games we have a built in excuse due to the overhaul of coaches. I doubt we lose 5 with that defense. I doubt we sneak into Atlanta thanks to Spurrier having Lattimore on offense and Clowney on defense. He is just missing a field general QB.

As for the SEC West, don't underestimate Auburn just because they lost the highest paid player in NCAA or the dirtiest defensive lineman. Among Auburn, Bama, and LSU, SEC could still be king in 2011 and continue the dynasty.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm in the same boat vis a vis O & B game, of course--hoping for that streaming, but at least we'll have plenty of news and coverage I figure.
I see the Gamecocks as our obstacle to Atlanta, too, but hey, with great "D" ANYTHING is possible, right?
(I'm realistic, but I'm also a Gator in February!)
Maybe I'm wrong, but without Cam Auburn becomes just another "slightly above-average SEC team", seems to me; they only JUST got that "recruiting bump" after their Championship run, so it's doubtful that will really be felt THIS year. The Tide looks to reassert itself in the West, and I guess we'll find out about Arkansas one way or the other this season.
BTW, ain't that some twisted sh*t with that "Al from Dadeville" idiot/sociopath, poisoning the trees at Auburn's Toomers Corner?!! I happened to be listening to Finebaum's show when that call came in, and it was CREEPY, man. All because "Those Auburn ***#%#*'s put one of their team-jerseys on the statue of the BEAR!, so ya know what I did?..." You've got to hear it to believe it. The old sicko turns out to be (among other things) A RETIRED TEXAS STATE TROOPER! Now he's likely going away for a stretch--no BS. It's a full-on "terrorist act"! Soil-samples at that end of the campus now show toxic levels 65 times the accepted lethal concentration of that "Spike 80" he repeatedly and proudly claimed to have "dosed 'em with".
We used to play pranks, especially back and forth with the FSU contingent, back in the day--but they were more like the jersey-incident that apparently set this wacko off.
It should be noted, however, that the true reason we discontinued our former home-and-home series with Miami (it used to be the first game every season) was that back in my time at UF the behavior of the UM fans was getting similarly out of hand: any car with UF license plates or Gator stickers parked at or anywhere near the Orange Bowl would routinely get its window chained and/or tires slashed; groups of up to a dozen drunken UM guys would roam underneath the Orange Bowl before, during and after the game looking for loan Gators and even older alumni couples in Gator gear to bully and rough up, I kid you not. The UF Regents got more and more reports of these sorts of activities and finally (in the early 80's) refused to renew the series--with the hearty support of the students, I might add. It was only subsequently that Miami (with the coming of Schnellenburger, then JJ) became for a time a national powerhouse, "Quarterback U". Up 'til then, they'd been pretty mediocre for a long time, so the feeling was "Why do we need 'em?"
THAT'S why we stopped playing UM, NOT 'cause we were or are "ducking" them, but because they were a bunch of foul and arrogant JERKS--something that did NOT change with their team's success on the field. Indeed, in many ways those teams continued to accurately reflect the same character (or lack thereof).
(Just thought I'd take this opportunity to get that off my chest, once and for all.)

Escambia94

BTW, ain't that some twisted sh*t with that "Al from Dadeville" idiot/sociopath, poisoning the trees at Auburn's Toomers Corner?!! I happened to be listening to Finebaum's show when that call came in, and it was CREEPY, man. All because "Those Auburn ***#%#*'s put one of their team-jerseys on the statue of the BEAR!, so ya know what I did?..." You've got to hear it to believe it. The old sicko turns out to be (among other things) A RETIRED TEXAS STATE TROOPER! Now he's likely going away for a stretch--no BS. It's a full-on "terrorist act"! Soil-samples at that end of the campus now show toxic levels 65 times the accepted lethal concentration of that "Spike 80" he repeatedly and proudly claimed to have "dosed 'em with".
We used to play pranks, especially back and forth with the FSU contingent, back in the day--but they were more like the jersey-incident that apparently set this wacko off.
It should be noted, however, that the true reason we discontinued our former home-and-home series with Miami (it used to be the first game every season) was that back in my time at UF the behavior of the UM fans was getting similarly out of hand: any car with UF license plates or Gator stickers parked at or anywhere near the Orange Bowl would routinely get its window chained and/or tires slashed; groups of up to a dozen drunken UM guys would roam underneath the Orange Bowl before, during and after the game looking for loan Gators and even older alumni couples in Gator gear to bully and rough up, I kid you not. The UF Regents got more and more reports of these sorts of activities and finally (in the early 80's) refused to renew the series--with the hearty support of the students, I might add. It was only subsequently that Miami (with the coming of Schnellenburger, then JJ) became for a time a national powerhouse, "Quarterback U". Up 'til then, they'd been pretty mediocre for a long time, so the feeling was "Why do we need 'em?"
THAT'S why we stopped playing UM, NOT 'cause we were or are "ducking" them, but because they were a bunch of foul and arrogant JERKS--something that did NOT change with their team's success on the field. Indeed, in many ways those teams continued to accurately reflect the same character (or lack thereof).
(Just thought I'd take this opportunity to get that off my chest, once and for all.)

Some of these rivalries sure do get bitter, don't they? It also depends on time period. I am too young to remember a time period when Auburn and Florida had some heated rivalries in the 1960s and 1970s, but I hear they were bad. I did not know about the reasoning behind lessening the Miami rivalry, but it makes sense--I have not met a 'Cane fan that I have liked. Look at some of the other Gator forums and local sports forums and to this day you see 'Cane fans spamming those sites and Internet-assaulting Gator fans everywhere. Check out "Gator Bytes" on the Palm Beach Post. I stopped visiting that site for news because of the 'Canes fans. I hate being home in Florida and hearing it from those fans as well. As heated as we got with Florida State in the 1990s and somewhat to do this day, I usually get along with those fans, except for the younger ones that became fans during their last national championship. Gator fans are not perfect, but I have heard from other fan bases that we are among the easiest to get along with, except for the Tebow-come-along fans who tend to be idiots. As a matter of fact, at the last two homecoming games I went to, I got along better with the Arkansas and Mississippi State fans than the younger Gator fans. By "younger", I specifically mean the ones who are Tebow bandwagon fans.

As for the Auburn-Alabama incident--that is insane. When we beat Bama in the upset of the year (wishful thinking), I sure hope they don't go around poisoning Lake Alice or something.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Bad as things can get with certain individuals (I once decked an unruly Auburn fan in our student section when he yelled "War Eagle!" for the umteenth time in row--only THIS time as he grabbed my then-girlfriend's breasts; knocked him down two rows, where fellow students sent him onward down towards the field with well-placed kicks...I'm sure he tells terrible tales of violent Gator fans to this day, but he had it coming!), for the most part it has always been mostly a matter of good-natured "not-so-clean fun" when it comes to our rivalries with fans from other SEC schools. Hell, that's the spice that MAKES those rivalries so big AND so much fun, am I right? Creative derogatory chants, rubbing it in when things go our way, imaginative pranks involving signs and mascots of the other school (though these last should be the province of CURRENT undergrads--and NEVER involve killing anything!), all of that is part of college football lore, completely acceptable, even welcome when done well.
It can get out of hand sometimes in certain quarters, for example in (but hardly limited to) the Greek community, where alcohol, inter-fraternal rivalry and youthful blowing off steam after periods of academic stress can yield a mob-mentality and some dumb, over-the-top "seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time" activity.
The basic rule-of-thumb is: stay away from destruction of personal property, any symbolism that smacks of ethnic or racial commentary, and ANYTHING that endangers another person or living thing.
Doesn't seem too tough a standard, right? Most of us manage it just fine--and along with on-field competitiveness, the SEC is Number 1 in healthy, passionate OFF-FIELD competition among its fans. I guess that's why even I feel a grudging pride when some OTHER SEC team beside ours wins the National Championship--and can't WAIT to STOMP 'EM NEXT YEAR!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema