• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Can Urban Meyer Please Make Up His Mind?

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Horrible article.

There were no better options out there to hire, no "step up" if you will from Meyer. If this doesn't get dragged out, and we find out how long his sabbatical is for, this is the best option.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Pretty interesting opinion from a blogger on Urban's back and forth. Figured I'd share a good read.

http://www.benchwarmersunited.com/wordpress/2009/12/27/can-urban-meyer-please-make-up-his-mind/

Blogger makes a good point about his turnabout might be a money driven rather than about putting a great team on the field. If he walks away, he probably is financially ruined.

Sheer CRAP - Meyer's decision to take a LOA wasn't motivated by money at all; it was because of his devotion and dedication to Florida football. His motive wasn't selfish at all; Meyer loves the game of college football and to have merely walked away from UF would have been devestating.

aggieheaven

Gator Fan
Gotta love rose colored glasses in Gatorland. He has a $500k buyout guys, regardless if he retires or leaves for another job. He also has to pay his agent his fee on the $28M contract that was negotiated on his behalf. If we say the agent is getting 5%, that is $1.4M.

You don't just walk away without ramifications. Meyer made an emotional decision then realized he was going to have to cough up $2 million. You might not like hearing this, but sometimes the truth hurts.

ShortBus

VIP Member
Gotta love rose colored glasses in Gatorland. He has a $500k buyout guys, regardless if he retires or leaves for another job. He also has to pay his agent his fee on the $28M contract that was negotiated on his behalf. If we say the agent is getting 5%, that is $1.4M.

You don't just walk away without ramifications. Meyer made an emotional decision then realized he was going to have to cough up $2 million. You might not like hearing this, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Obviously you have no idea about a damn thing. But during the PC on Sunday, Jeremy Foley, the AD for florida said there'd be no buyout because of health issues.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Absolutely correct. Tim Tebow should get 100% of the credit for Urban Meyer's undefeated season at Utah, as well as the turnaround at Bowling Green. I am so friggin' surprised that no one else thought of giving Tim Tebow credit for all of Urban Meyer's wins as head coach. The other guys got it wrong when they gave all the credit to Percy Harvin. Bravo.

Note: Tim Tebow only "won" under half of Urban Meyer's games, and that is only if you give half of Chris Leak's wins to Tim Tebow. If you give Chris Leak credit for all the wins where he was the starter, Tim Tebow was only the starter for 33% of Urban's wins.

How much more money does Urban Meyer need? Obviously he has enough now to possibly retire for the rest of his life, however short he thinks it will be. I doubt this was a money issue--it was an emotional issue. In today's society, we are hard on grown men who think emotionally unless that emotion is displayed while sinking a three-pointer, tossing a jump pass TD, or getting caught with 13 mistresses. How sad. We should be celebrating men who are emotional. Do we not watch football for the passion of playing the game? That's why I watch college more than professional football.

aggieheaven

Gator Fan
Obviously you have no idea about a damn thing. But during the PC on Sunday, Jeremy Foley, the AD for florida said there'd be no buyout because of health issues.

Do you believe in Santa and the tooth fairy too? You think they are going to publicize that in a press conference. This is business my friend. There are millions of dollars at stake. If you want to live in fantasy land, you go right ahead.

aggieheaven

Gator Fan
Absolutely correct. Tim Tebow should get 100% of the credit for Urban Meyer's undefeated season at Utah, as well as the turnaround at Bowling Green. I am so friggin' surprised that no one else thought of giving Tim Tebow credit for all of Urban Meyer's wins as head coach. The other guys got it wrong when they gave all the credit to Percy Harvin. Bravo.

Those victories in Utah can be credited to Alex Smith. Remember that guy, overall #1 pick in the NFL Draft. Meyer has had great fortune of having two of the greatest players in college history lead his squads. How much of that is luck, how much of that is talent evaluation?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Do you believe in Santa and the tooth fairy too? You think they are going to publicize that in a press conference. This is business my friend. There are millions of dollars at stake. If you want to live in fantasy land, you go right ahead.

LISTEN - if you're here just to troll, you're in the wrong place.

This is a GATOR board; as a rival fan, treat others with respect.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Those victories in Utah can be credited to Alex Smith. Remember that guy, overall #1 pick in the NFL Draft. Meyer has had great fortune of having two of the greatest players in college history lead his squads. How much of that is luck, how much of that is talent evaluation?

Let me throw a definition at you, because obviously you haven't a clue what it means:

SARCASM

A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

A word that gives you the possibility to play with your imagination when asked stupid questions.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
If there's one thing Urban Meyer does not have to worry about, it's money.

Had he taken a few years off, and decided to coach again somewhere else, he'd still be the biggest name on the coaching market.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
"GOOD READ" Yea right

Pretty interesting opinion from a blogger on Urban's back and forth. Figured I'd share a good read.

http://www.benchwarmersunited.com/wordpress/2009/12/27/can-urban-meyer-please-make-up-his-mind/

Blogger makes a good point about his turnabout might be a money driven rather than about putting a great team on the field. If he walks away, he probably is financially ruined.[/QUO

This article is not a good read. To me its makes no sense. If you think Meyer could not get another less stressful job some were else guess again. Espn would die to get its hands on Meyer. No he won't make the money he's making now but it would be more than enough to support his family and " life style". To my knowledge he owns no yachts or jets so I really don't think he would have trouble putting food on the table. Here is how I personally commented on this "piece of junk of an article"

Who are you and how do you really know what is wrong with his health. The one thing I hate about all the negative columnists is you love to beat a man when he's down. So what if he changed his mind is it really going to affect your day to day life. Have you ever changed your mind about something I would be you have. It seems to me he rushed his decision and in his heart he knew he would coach again and if he left his chances of coming back to Florida would be none. He loves Florida and had no intentions of coaching anywhere else except maybe the NFL one day. He never lied to anyone, he does have some kind of health issues which are really none of our business. You can see in the news conference he had lost some weight. whole problem was not delegating responsibilities to other staff. Sometimes he is a little too hands on in day to day activities. He has two NC rings to prove it. All you retarded writers need to step back and think real hard about what's going on here. He didn't flip flop he simply reconsidered his options and came to teams with the fact that he can improve his health and still lead the dominate program he has continued to build from the Spurrier days. Stop hating on the UF. I don't believe any " Blue Chip athletes" have decommitted as of yet. Most have positive remarks about his decision. Stop trying to make a story about nothing and assume "Meyer’s flip-flop will no doubt kill his recruiting efforts". Also once again you try to make a story assuming "Many fans believe Meyer woke up to the realization that the joy ride he has been coasting on called Tim Tebow is graduating" you tell me what true UF fan really thinks that or once again are you trying to sell ads on your site. Nobody believes that except for maybe the fans of Florida State or Miami. Your article is one of the biggest pieces of Sh%T I have seen in a while. I hope you are proud and it makes me sick to see I have to comment on this . I'd bet I'm the only one who had read it.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

Blogger makes a good point about his turnabout might be a money driven rather than about putting a great team on the field. If he walks away, he probably is financially ruined.[/QUO

This article is not a good read. To me its makes no sense. If you think Meyer could not get another less stressful job some were else guess again. Espn would die to get its hands on Meyer. No he won't make the money he's making now but it would be more than enough to support his family and " life style". To my knowledge he owns no yachts or jets so I really don't think he would have trouble putting food on the table. Here is how I personally commented on this "piece of junk of an article"

Who are you and how do you really know what is wrong with his health. The one thing I hate about all the negative columnists is you love to beat a man when he's down. So what if he changed his mind is it really going to affect your day to day life. Have you ever changed your mind about something I would be you have. It seems to me he rushed his decision and in his heart he knew he would coach again and if he left his chances of coming back to Florida would be none. He loves Florida and had no intentions of coaching anywhere else except maybe the NFL one day. He never lied to anyone, he does have some kind of health issues which are really none of our business. You can see in the news conference he had lost some weight. whole problem was not delegating responsibilities to other staff. Sometimes he is a little too hands on in day to day activities. He has two NC rings to prove it. All you retarded writers need to step back and think real hard about what's going on here. He didn't flip flop he simply reconsidered his options and came to teams with the fact that he can improve his health and still lead the dominate program he has continued to build from the Spurrier days. Stop hating on the UF. I don't believe any " Blue Chip athletes" have decommitted as of yet. Most have positive remarks about his decision. Stop trying to make a story about nothing and assume "Meyer’s flip-flop will no doubt kill his recruiting efforts". Also once again you try to make a story assuming "Many fans believe Meyer woke up to the realization that the joy ride he has been coasting on called Tim Tebow is graduating" you tell me what true UF fan really thinks that or once again are you trying to sell ads on your site. Nobody believes that except for maybe the fans of Florida State or Miami. Your article is one of the biggest pieces of Sh%T I have seen in a while. I hope you are proud and it makes me sick to see I have to comment on this . I'd bet I'm the only one who had read it.

SPOT-ON, my friend!!! :punk:

Escambia94

The sad part is that his limbo status will hurt recruiting and the program.

This is true.

If money were the reason for coming back, that money will not pay back the potential loss in talent that could occur during this limbo period.

If Tim Tebow graduating were the reason he "faked illness", that would be more damaging than putting the recruiting status in limbo.

All the evidence tells me that Urban Meyer really does have health problems and that his boss, Foley, offered a better, alternative solution, the leave of absence in lieu of retirement, and Urban took it as a compromise. It is not the best solution, because Urban will not get better in time to get the best recruiting class, and he may miss out on developing the 2010 team this spring and summer. That compromise should be enough balance between his health and his duties as coach, as long as he also learns how to delegate, relax, and take better care of himself in his X-month leave of absence.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
This is true.

If money were the reason for coming back, that money will not pay back the potential loss in talent that could occur during this limbo period.

If Tim Tebow graduating were the reason he "faked illness", that would be more damaging than putting the recruiting status in limbo.

All the evidence tells me that Urban Meyer really does have health problems and that his boss, Foley, offered a better, alternative solution, the leave of absence in lieu of retirement, and Urban took it as a compromise. It is not the best solution, because Urban will not get better in time to get the best recruiting class, and he may miss out on developing the 2010 team this spring and summer. That compromise should be enough balance between his health and his duties as coach, as long as he also learns how to delegate, relax, and take better care of himself in his X-month leave of absence.

The way I see it, and what I told Pat Dooley at gatorsports.com in reply to his blog entry about that jackass Finebaum starting up his crap again (here's what I'm referring to BTW: http://dooley.blogs.gatorsports.com/10423/finebaum-fiasco/ ), is that Coach Meyer has enough trust in Steve Addazio and the rest of the football coaching staff to keep the football program running as usual. Meyer will still be doing his part in recruiting as far as contacting them and encouraging them to attend UF, but he won't be making the road trips to visit them while he's on leave. Florida has become a football program that can pretty much sell itself to potential recruits; high school players see the level of success we've attained in these past five years and those who sincerely want to be part of this program will commit to being Gators.

Read my comments to Dooley; I meant what I said. I shouldn't have to tell anybody here that I'm staunchly pro-Urban Meyer, and it really pisses me off to see hacks like Slimebaum and that other shmuck Kerasotass at "Florida Today" printing hatchet-job attacks on Coach right now. Like I told Pat Dooley, attacking a man when he's down is just plain low-class. Maybe I'm a bit sentimental but I don't like seeing bad things happen to good people, especially somebody like Urban Meyer. I wasn't happy about the fact that Dooley wasn't aggressive enough with Slimebaum in defending UF and Coach, but as a matter of tact I was careful with my comments, even though I gave Pat some subtle constructive criticism when I said that it's time for somebody from the Florida camp to take Slimebaum down. He and Buddy Martin both turned the other cheek when they were taking on this POS as far as I'm concerned.

Should we win the Sugar Bowl - and I hope to God we do - I would love to see our guys carry Coach out of the stadium on their shoulders as a show of respect and admiration for him.

Escambia94

The way I see it, and what I told Pat Dooley at gatorsports.com in reply to his blog entry about that jackass Finebaum starting up his crap again (here's what I'm referring to BTW: http://dooley.blogs.gatorsports.com/10423/finebaum-fiasco/ ), is that Coach Meyer has enough trust in Steve Addazio and the rest of the football coaching staff to keep the football program running as usual. Meyer will still be doing his part in recruiting as far as contacting them and encouraging them to attend UF, but he won't be making the road trips to visit them while he's on leave. Florida has become a football program that can pretty much sell itself to potential recruits; high school players see the level of success we've attained in these past five years and those who sincerely want to be part of this program will commit to being Gators.

Read my comments to Dooley; I meant what I said. I shouldn't have to tell anybody here that I'm staunchly pro-Urban Meyer, and it really pisses me off to see hacks like Slimebaum and that other shmuck Kerasotass at "Florida Today" printing hatchet-job attacks on Coach right now. Like I told Pat Dooley, attacking a man when he's down is just plain low-class. Maybe I'm a bit sentimental but I don't like seeing bad things happen to good people, especially somebody like Urban Meyer. I wasn't happy about the fact that Dooley wasn't aggressive enough with Slimebaum in defending UF and Coach, but as a matter of tact I was careful with my comments, even though I gave Pat some subtle constructive criticism when I said that it's time for somebody from the Florida camp to take Slimebaum down. He and Buddy Martin both turned the other cheek when they were taking on this POS as far as I'm concerned.

Should we win the Sugar Bowl - and I hope to God we do - I would love to see our guys carry Coach out of the stadium on their shoulders as a show of respect and admiration for him.

Good responses in that article. I equate Foley's offer to Urban Meyer to the military. In the military, an officer can resign his commission for certain reasons, to include health, but the military will often offer a one-year leave of absence. After that one year, the officer can gradually ease back into normal duties, or be placed on limited duty, or be allowed to outright resign or retire.

What Urban Meyer is doing is not unusual, and what Foley offered to Meyer is not out of the ordinary. The only thing that does not make sense is not having a medical person on-stage with Urban Meyer while making the announcement, if anything, to lend credibility in the public opinion. Other than that, it is perfectly reasonable to accept the risk to recruiting with a leave of absence if that is an incremental step to improving health. A larger, better, incremental step would be to agree to have minimal impact on Addazzio's running of the program in his absence, and for Meyer to have a plan to reduce his stress-load upon his return. We, as faithful fans, will just have to live with the incremental solution and hope it actually helps UM's health. I doubt it will, but I can hope.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Good responses in that article. I equate Foley's offer to Urban Meyer to the military. In the military, an officer can resign his commission for certain reasons, to include health, but the military will often offer a one-year leave of absence. After that one year, the officer can gradually ease back into normal duties, or be placed on limited duty, or be allowed to outright resign or retire.

What Urban Meyer is doing is not unusual, and what Foley offered to Meyer is not out of the ordinary. The only thing that does not make sense is not having a medical person on-stage with Urban Meyer while making the announcement, if anything, to lend credibility in the public opinion. Other than that, it is perfectly reasonable to accept the risk to recruiting with a leave of absence if that is an incremental step to improving health. A larger, better, incremental step would be to agree to have minimal impact on Addazzio's running of the program in his absence, and for Meyer to have a plan to reduce his stress-load upon his return. We, as faithful fans, will just have to live with the incremental solution and hope it actually helps UM's health. I doubt it will, but I can hope.

If Urban learns something during his LOA, it's never to take anything for granted. I would love to see him back in time for the fall, but the most imperative thing for him right now is to regain his health. After reading and hearing Shelley's 911 call that had him rushed to Shands, it was major cause for concern.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if I were Shelley I'd insist that the first thing Urban does after the Sugar bowl is schedule a complete physical. He needs a battery of tests to pinpoint exactly what's wrong, and if he needs to see a specialist, it's to his benefit. Whatever medical procedures are necessary, he needs to have them done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema