• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Billy Napier’s Introductory Press Conference

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

Billy Napier has arrived in Hogtown! In the press conference he talked about family, God, and his coaching mentors. He announced that he will be calling plays on offense, that he intends to focus on both lines of scrimmage, and that he plans on using two offensive line coaches.

Escambia94

CBN summarized his approach in 8 phases:
1. Foundation
2. Identity
3. Spring practice
4. Discretionary period
5. Summer regimen
6. Training camp
7. In season
8. Post season

Escambia94

CBN stated there were six phases to recruiting, but he did not elaborate.

Escambia94

CBN brought his DC and RBC from Louisiana, Patrick Toney and Jabbar Juluke.

Toney’s defense was #1 in passing defense and scoring defense in the Sun Belt. In 2017 at UTSA his defense was #7 in FBS.

Juluke is also the assistant head coach and running back coach. Juluke’s rushing attack was #21 in the nation this year. At LSU he coached Leonard Fournette and Darrious Guice.

Escambia94

Other tidbits:
- He mentioned leveraging the new football facilities
- He emphasized academics and overall development
- He mentioned that he has a plan to take advantage of NIL for recruiting
- He did not go into details but he mentioned starting a new program called “Journeys”. I am not sure what that is.

One interesting story: his father was a high school football coach up in Georgia and after seeing Spurrier’s Gators in the 1990s he changed the school uniforms to look like the Florida Gators. He also calls himself a football junkie, so he is well aware of the culture here.

Fun fact: he coached against the Gators in the Swamp as an offensive analyst at Alabama in 2011.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Other tidbits:
- He mentioned leveraging the new football facilities
- He emphasized academics and overall development
- He mentioned that he has a plan to take advantage of NIL for recruiting
- He did not go into details but he mentioned starting a new program called “Journeys”. I am not sure what that is.

One interesting story: his father was a high school football coach up in Georgia and after seeing Spurrier’s Gators in the 1990s he changed the school uniforms to look like the Florida Gators. He also calls himself a football junkie, so he is well aware of the culture here.

Fun fact: he coached against the Gators in the Swamp as an offensive analyst at Alabama in 2011.
Consider this a reply to “ALL of the above” here, PLUS assorted “other stuff” coming up “out there” regarding our latest hire:
My basic, “bottom LINE” take comes down (ESPECIALLY after some of the—albeit relative FEW—more negative comments turning up) to,
“OK—a lot of good and encouraging reactions, a few LESS-so...and then his actual arrival and first appearance at his first presser in Gainesville...
Now, all we can do, all I CAN DO now is wait and SEE...
Say ‘Welcome Billy, GO GATORS!’, and then, well, there is: We go from there!”
I mean, the man has credentials, sure seemed like he was our administration’s first choice, and he came in and SAID the “right things”.
Never mind stuff like that article and comments from some columnist out of Nashville, someone named “Zack Ragan” who says in a headlined article that “Napier LOST the First Press Conference as Florida Coach”, and goes on to elaborate as to how he did that in somehow not saying “the right things” about his recruiting approach...
I’ll say no more about that (the fool doesn’t DESERVE further detail or focus on his questionable, grasping-at-negative-straws effort to downgrade our new Coach AND the otherwise positive buzz out there), but the fact still remains: ANY such hire was going to come with “risks”—and THIS one, the fast-riser suddenly moving up from a certain level (Sun Belt) all the way up to the generally-accepted “toughest of them all” (ie. the SEC), was and IS gonna be a certain “gamble”, after all. No use denying it; might as well EMBRACE IT now (of at least TRY).
So “GO GATORS!”...and the trick now will be to walk the tightrope of patience AND vigilance between here and there. Let the results speak for themselves—but give the man, his staff and players the chance, the time and room to build something special here.
“Hope springs eternal”, obviously—so “LET IT RIDE!” now from HERE!
Far as I’m concerned:
Alright. This is who “we” (the people we PAY to evaluate such things) wanted, he’s here, he and his people appear to have the skills and attitude...As far as I’M concerned he said all the right things (and F*CK Zack Ragan, etc), so now we ALL hunker down and let them get TO it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema