• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bama propaganda

found this on the bleacher report. sounds like there is some paranoia in t-town! i just thought it was funny and wanted to see what some of the rest of gator nation thinks.

ESPN: The Ultimate Hypocrite

ESPN has done it again—reared its ugly hypocritical head.

Yes, I said it, and I mean it with every fiber of my being!

Less than one year after everyone’s beloved ESPN ripped the University of Alabama for having 92,000+ at its annual A-Day spring scrimmage, they announced that College GameDay will be at the University of Florida’s annual Orange and Blue spring game.

Excuse me?

I could not believe what I was hearing when I heard this announcement on a local sports talk radio program.

ESPN, which completely bashed the Crimson Nation last spring for falling head-over-heels for then-new head coach Nick Saban in what they classified as a “glorified scrimmage,” has now decided that spring games are important enough to merit a GameDay visit.

Well, make up your mind ESPN. Which is it—a glorified scrimmage or an event worthy of GameDay?

For the average fan, ESPN can be a lethal trap.

True, the network draws you in with flashy names and great matchups. SportsCenter has forever revolutionized the outlook and analysis of sports and the way fans view them.

But overall, ESPN had been nothing but the tractor pulling the bandwagon for so-so fans to jump aboard.

True fans know where to go to get accurate information regarding their teams, while everyone else goes to ESPN.

Sure, I watch ESPN, ESPN2, and other ESPN networks. I admit it. I’ll be the first to do so. But I do it primarily because I love sports—and unfortunately ESPN has the power to monopolize contracts for games I want to watch.

I’ll also be the first to admit that no single network has done more for the game of college football, the sport I love above all others.

However, ESPN has at the same time decided to pick and choose which parts of college football to hold up at some holy status and which parts to punch in the gut every chance it gets.

Now, I don’t want to start naming names of college football programs that ESPN has endorsed and taken in under its wing, while turning a cold shoulder to others. I will refrain from that—not because I’m afraid, but simply because that would detract from the point of this article.

I will, however, point to the fact that ESPN is good for the moment. Whatever is great now will be ESPN’s story tonight. And I guess that’s true of most media today.

However, my final words to ESPN at this time are these:

If spring games are deemed glorified practices don’t change your mind a year later for the sake of ratings. That’s what hypocrites do.

And no one wants to be labeled a hypocrite.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I agree with the writer's comments. But the truth is, at this time of year everyone is craving football and there really isn't anything going on till the NFL Draft. So why not broadcast some practices. They make money and make the fans happy.

LeeAndrew

Gator Fan
Unfortunately I'm a Gators fan living in Bama country. When I heard 92,000 showed up for an Alabama scrimmage my reaction was "is that all?" I'm not surprised many people would go to it because people around here eat, live and sleep Bama football.

But airing a scrimmage doesn't make much sense to me. All the people that want to see it will be there. Maybe there will be some Gators fans here and there that would watch it because they can't be there, but there is no national desire to watch anybody scrimmage. So not only is it hypocritical but I don't think anybody will care about it.

dstad13

Gator Fan
I dont see what the big deal is. Spring games are televised every year. I live in Alabama and CSS shows Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, and Tennessee's spring games. Fox Sports carries Oklahoma and Florida State. I'm a football fan and i want to see every spring game i can. The thing about 92,000 people coming to Bama's game is that those people believed that Nick Saban would come in and win a national title his first year. A coach is only as good as the talent he puts on the field and he doesnt have any yet. I'm sorry but Saban is not the second coming. Anyway ESPN has 2 choices here. They show a rerun of the 2007 junior karate national competition or a live spring game of a powerhouse team with a heisman winning QB. Which would you rather watch? That article was written by a crazy Alabama fan who is pissed because he doesnt have a 24/7 web cam in Nick Saban's house to watch his every move.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema