• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Astroturf in the swamp

lilChomp

VIP Member
I had no idea there was astroturf in the Swamp! I was watching a classic game last night against Auburn. It must have been the early 80s... and Florida Field was no grass, it was astroturf.

Why did we use it? It's not like we have a problem growing grass in Florida.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
The game you were watching was in 1986. Back then nearly the entire nation had astroturf.

Astroturf was more cost effective because there was less up-keep. Also, artificial turf was the "in" thing to have. People back then actually thought it looked good.

Getting rid of the turf was one of the first things Spurrier did when he took over.

Yup.. a few years back I went on the swamp one day wiht my little brother and we were playing tackle haha and he scrapped his elbow and cried when he saw blood. It hurts when you get tackled lol.

rustyt22

Gator Fan
it was def. a good idea to get rid of the astroturf....too many njuries although you play much faster on it when you have speed (like we do now)

G8R8U2

Gator Fan
Turf is also an ideal way to end a player's career at the college level. I understand there's some new stuff that's not so brutal on the players; but, personally, I'd prefer we keep that experiment in the past.

sbq80

VIP Member
Turf is also an ideal way to end a player's career at the college level. I understand there's some new stuff that's not so brutal on the players; but, personally, I'd prefer we keep that experiment in the past.

The new stuff 'field turf' is better than grass. I have played a few seasons on it. At first I was anti field turf, felt football was meant to be played on grass & get dirty & smell like grass etc........I am a believer however now I if never played on grass again I would not care & actually be happy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema