• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A View From Enemy Territory

GatorsFirst

Gator Fan
This article was written by my buddy that went to Bama. We always enjoy hearing from both sides of the argument, even if we TOTALLY disagree. Anyway, here you go:

For my friends at GatorsFirst.com, you guys said you'd love to hear from the other side, so here ya go... First let me say that all seems right with the world when Alabama and Florida face off in the SEC Championship game. This is the sixth time in the 17 year history of the game that the Tide and Gators have met. Alabama has never played anyone other than Florida in the championship game, and after a nine year absence we're happy to be back in Atlanta and playing the Gators once again...

The championship game record between the teams so far favors the Gators 3-2, but we'd love to even that up this year. Alabama has 21 SEC championships in the 75 year history of the conference, more than any other team by a wide margin. But Florida has won the conference 7 times in the past 17 years. This is a great clash of new tradition versus old, and of course new style versus old as well.

Alabama is the #1 team in the country and the only undefeated in major college football. They've only trailed twice this season, and never in the second half. And yet they are prohibitive underdogs to the "invincible" (but beaten) Florida Gators. If you've turned on ESPN in the past month, no doubt you know that the Gators are forecast to win this game simply by stepping on the field.

Believe me, Bama fans have definitely noticed the hype about UF and the 10 point spread. The Gators have had a great run over the last few games and deserve all the accolades, but Bama is not deterred and will gladly accept the underdog role. Bama fans like nothing more than being an underdog because it gives us a chance to talk about the '92 national championship game, when no one thought we had a chance against another Florida team (Miami) and their Heisman-winning quarterback (Gino Torretta). That Alabama team featured one of the toughest defenses around and an offense that did just enough to win. They scratched out several tough games along the way that season (including a narrow win over UF in the first ever SEC championship game). But when it came time for the big game, they turned up the pressure on defense, completely confusing Miami's vaunted offense with a complex scheme and overpowering pass rush, and blew away Miami with a "shocking" 34-13 win. "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear." -- Alabama defensive end John Copeland after the 1993 Sugar Bowl

Of course this is also not the first time for the Tide to be underdogs this year either. So far this season, Bama is 2-0 as a prohibitive underdog to Top 10 teams in games played in the state of Georgia, blowing out the opponent both times. What's that? You say Clemson and Georgia turned out to not be as good as previously thought? No offense, but the same could be true for UF too. They might not be as infallible as it seems. That is why you play the games after all.

As for the actual matchup: As you probably know, the Gator D line is injured and in my opinion they're not going to stand up for 4 quarters against our offensive line and grinding rushing attack. And your secondary is built for speed, which is great for shutting down a passing game but does nothing for you when we're running right at you. Our receivers' main goal is to block your smaller cornerbacks, not to try to outrun them... except for Julio Jones who, at 6-4, 215, will out leap your small DBs on the safe sideline route and then just run right over them. Your DBs will not tackle Julio Jones without extra help. As has been the case all season, Bama will control the time of possession with our running game and short safe passes, wearing down that Gator D line and keeping your offense off the field. Bama is 8th in the nation in time of possession; Florida is 78th. Yes, I realize that's because you've scored so quickly. But it still does nothing to help your weary defensive line. I predict Bama will hold the ball for at least 35 minutes in this game, and by mid-3rd quarter we will run at will on the Gator D.

When the Gators do have the ball, your offensive line will not be able to handle 6-5, 375 lb Terrence Cody at nose tackle. He is by far the most imposing lineman that you've faced all season. Despite the trickeration that comes with it, the majority of Florida's offensive production this season has been running between the tackles. That simply will not happen in this game. Bama is the second ranked rush D in the country, giving up only 73 yards per game, and it all starts up front. You will not move our D line, and a stiff breeze will knock over your undersized running backs. (And I can only pray that you try to sneak Tebow up the middle a few times to "loosen us up". He will not last long in this game attempting to do that.) You will be forced to run around the end and take to the air. Yes, I know all about your speed on offense but that's easily negated simply by playing fundamental defense and not making mistakes: be in position, execute your assignment, and make the tackle when the play comes to you. If there's anything a Saban defense can be expected to do, it's these fundamentals. Most of your big plays have come on missed assignments where Tebow has the easy throw to a wide open receiver. That will not happen this time.

My biggest concern is whether or not our corners will be able to get Tebow on the ground when they come on the blitz, but I think they will eventually. Your offense is not built to grind out the long drives needed to beat a D like ours. Even if Tebow fights off the blitz the first time, he won't by the 6th or 7th time when he still doesn't have an easy throw downfield. Believe it or not, he's human. A good guy, but he's no Superman.

So to sum up: I know I'm painting a pretty rosy picture for Bama. (And I know you're chanting "gator bait" in your heads right now.) But as you told me a couple of weeks ago, if you want me to apologize for picking my team, I won't. Realistically, I'm not guaranteeing a win, but I do like our chances. I think we match up pretty well and it'll be a good game. Much closer than the experts think, as Lee Corso would say (if he wasn't picking the Gators here). Bama just needs to to keep it close early, limit UF's big plays, not turn the ball over, and then wear down your D late. Lets just say that UF will have to do more than show up.

Roll Tide!

Feel free to respond here at GatorEnvy, or where the original article was posted.

ShortBus

VIP Member
this guy obviously has never watched a gator game the entire season... he only reads stats and box scores....

guess he's in for a big surprise.

chedgar1

Gator Fan
Yes, I know all about your speed on offense but that's easily negated simply by playing fundamental defense and not making mistakes: be in position, execute your assignment, and make the tackle when the play comes to you. If there's anything a Saban defense can be expected to do, it's these fundamentals.

Well somebody should have told LSU's and Georgia's and South Carolina's and Florida State's defensive coordinators to just stick to the fundamentals. These are major D1 programs with highly paid coaches (none like Saban of course) that get paid to put players in the right position and situation to make plays and they, for some reason(speed), couldn't do it. Im not trying to say that florida is going to run away with this game. All Im saying is that if it was as easy as fundamentals we wouldnt be averaging 46.3 points per game.

Defensively, cant argue. our dline is banged up and our secondary is built for speed. BUT there is a simple physics equation that i think fits perfectly Force=Mass x Acceleration. We definitely have the advantage in the acceleration department but yall are definitely more dense.:)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
That was one of the most intelligent analyses I have ever read, and I can agree with him to some degree. It really does come down to old school versus new school, big versus fast, and executing the fundamentals. Bama is better than Florida in many regards, so Florida will have to continue its great speed, execution, and Golden opportunities.

castawaygator

VIP Member
i would not go as far as to say he is nuts, but he is certainly overly optimistic!

if bama has the slightest difficulty rushing then they have to rely on jp wilson and i dont think he will get the job done. not with our secondary which is night and day different from last years embarrassment. can you say INT. the only reliable receiver they have is jones the others will not be a problem.
take a look at the turnover margins we are looking better than them
UF1.75 vs Bama.75
how about red zone conversions!
gators attempts58 scores53 %91.38 TD44 TD%75.86 FG9 FG%15.52
Bama attempts49 scores41 %83.67 TD28 TD%57.14 FG13 FG%26.53

if they dont punch it in on the gators they are not going to win.

not to mention they STRUGGLED against Kent, Miss, LSU and although bama dominated UGA in the beginning they almost lost the game in the end.

both teams handled UGA but they clearly got sloppy all of a sudden in the second half.
If LSU actually had a veteran QB do you think Bama would have honestly won??? i dont.
Kent held them to 17-14 game! they can be stopped!!! this is proof. this is Kent. people!!!

both teams struggled with Miss. they won 24-20 we unfortunately lost by a point.

they may have big guys on there team but can they catch someone much faster than them??? i dont think so. i would invite you to see how well they covered the fake FG that Miss pulled on them. they had no chance of stopping the guy running.

is bama a great team YES. but they are also a team that the gators CAN beat!
IMHO WILL beat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema