• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

a CRAZY rumor....

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Someone at work told me today they heard that next year Adazio will not be our O. Coord. and the person taking his place will be Mark Richt(head coach of UGA, for those who dont know)....Just wondering if any of u insiders have heard anything like this or if theres even any truth to this?....

I personally believe it would KICKA$$!!!i hope it is true!

mjfan23

VIP Member
As much as I would like to believe this, there is simply no way...

One, I dont believe Mark Richt will lose his job.

Two, If he did, there are A LOT of head coaching jobs he could have, I dont see why he'd drop back down to being an O cord.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think I started that Rumor but Richt isn't a spread offense guy so more than likely won't happen though I do agree he'll be fired (four losses already and UGA has the Gators, Auburn, Georgia Tech and Kentucky coming up).

gator347

Gator Fan
When Urban was talking about leaving, I wanted the Boise State Head Coach.

We need to go all out. Play like we mean it, with swagger. You know, like Boise.

They can do it with 3 stars. We struggle with 4 star+. They do it every year. You don't hear, "No Tebow, No Pearcy....."

They just go and get it done. Forget they play weaker teams. They play sharp.

Troy can come into the swap and hang for 2 1/2 qurters. We can't even put 2 1/2 good quarters together.

Being 4 and 2 is not what I am upset about. Stinking up the Swap is just too much to stomach.:mad::mad:

Just sayin.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
As much as I would like to believe this, there is simply no way...

One, I dont believe Mark Richt will lose his job.

Two, If he did, there are A LOT of head coaching jobs he could have, I dont see why he'd drop back down to being an O cord.

i dont believe it myself, but I do think richt will lose his job after this season...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
No way this is true. We are stuck with Addazio, or we lose Urban Meyer plus Addazio. That's all we get. Now, if I have to eat those words, I will gladly do so. I have no reason to believe that we will see anything than UM + SA or a new head coach and staff in upcoming years.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
When Urban was talking about leaving, I wanted the Boise State Head Coach.

We need to go all out. Play like we mean it, with swagger. You know, like Boise.

They can do it with 3 stars. We struggle with 4 star+. They do it every year. You don't hear, "No Tebow, No Pearcy....."

They just go and get it done. Forget they play weaker teams. They play sharp.

Troy can come into the swap and hang for 2 1/2 qurters. We can't even put 2 1/2 good quarters together.

Being 4 and 2 is not what I am upset about. Stinking up the Swap is just too much to stomach.:mad::mad:

Just sayin.

I agree with Chris Petersen though Meyer deserves at least one more year. Also agree with taking Boise OC, if he can do that with 2 or 3 star players imagine him working with 4 or 5 star players. Take Ryan Clady he was a two star player and Boise turned him into in first round draft pick and a pro bowler. That's coaching.

Escambia94

I agree with Chris Petersen though Meyer deserves at least one more year. Also agree with taking Boise OC, if he can do that with 2 or 3 star players imagine him working with 4 or 5 star players. Take Ryan Clady he was a two star player and Boise turned him into in first round draft pick and a pro bowler. That's coaching.

Again, let's put this in perspective. The rest of the world thinks Gator fans are bunch of crybabies because we are calling for our coach's head after two losses, or three in two years. There are quite a few teams in the top tier who are worse off than us. I will admit that I am a crybaby not about losing, but about being a loser. It's okay to get blown out 45-36, because it shows we moved the ball forward and into the endzone about six times. It's okay to lose, but it's not okay to be a loser. Snapping the ball into the ground, being ranked 90th in total offense, etc is what I call being a loser. Even FSU had a top-50 offense when they fell out of the top 25, and they could snap the ball, hit an open receiver, etc.

Give Urban Meyer another year or two to fix this. He could fix everything this week by stepping in and helping with the play calling, or giving Loeffler more authority in play calling. As much as I would love to see Addazio demoted to OL coach only, it probably will not happen this year, and maybe not next year.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I wouldn't believe this rumor yet. Richt first has to get fired. Then it would look fishy if UGA hired an athletic director away from Florida, the AD fires Richt, and Richt goes to UF. And as already mentioned, Richt is not a spread option coordinator. We would have to see much more defeat before Meyer switched approaches like this. If we continue to lose to Alabama and other schools steal our recruits because we are not pro-style, then Meyer might entertain the thought. But as of right now UF is still a top tier program that recruits as good as if not better than any other program.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Although I must admit that most things don't surprise me anymore. I could fathom Richt doing it as a sting to UGA for dropping him. If I poured my heart and soul into a job and then got canned the only thing that would make me feel better is to join up with a competitor and beat my original employer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We don't worry about what "they" think "out there", and never have...we can't afford to. When the world outside Gator Nation was tearing down Urban Meyer for his sudden resignation, then return, decrying his "flip/flop", being a "drama queen", when one too many players got himself in trouble, did something selfish and foolish and he was attacked from all sides for running a "dirty program", and on and on, like so many others I not only continued to support our head coach, I stepped forward to defend him every time and everywhere I could. This isn't about being disloyal, hair trigger "cry babies" who freak out over a couple of losses. It isn't the losses or even our record this season that concerns those of us now calling for a reckoning. It is the future of the whole program that we sense slipping away.
NO ONE is above the Gator program itself. Sad and painful as the implications we are drawing from recent events become clear, and evidence that only now highlights what appears to have been a deepening problem going back some months, loyalty to the Gator TEAM, its health and future, requires us to support WHATEVER MUST BE DONE to face a difficult reality, DO whatever must be done to put a stop to a growing crisis, and get things turned back in the right direction AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
There remain a number of different ways in which this may occur. One would be the "return" of the Urban Meyer who brought us to new heights in the first place. THAT coach would know what to do, who to move aside and how to make best use of the talented personnel he has at his disposal RIGHT NOW, as he regathered the reins and began the program's return to Championship form next season. That Urban Meyer would not have accepted either the lack of preparation or widespread confusion clearly displayed in the first game this season. There is no sign THIS Urban Meyer has yet even acknowledged the problem, let alone faced and turned to address it.
That leaves discussion as to how and when to replace him, and of course various ideas and proposals as to WHO? I hate that it has come to this--
a part of me still hopes he somehow "snaps out of it", makes some dramatic and necessary "big moves" that shocks them "out there" and leads the way.
Thing is though, I don't "expect" it anymore. By now I figure the program is sick, and it won't start getting better 'til the problem at it's center is removed. Until the NEXT young super-driven guy comes in and takes all this talent, depth and speed and works HIS wonder with it.

Escambia94

We don't worry about what "they" think "out there", and never have...we can't afford to. When the world outside Gator Nation was tearing down Urban Meyer for his sudden resignation, then return, decrying his "flip/flop", being a "drama queen", when one too many players got himself in trouble, did something selfish and foolish and he was attacked from all sides for running a "dirty program", and on and on, like so many others I not only continued to support our head coach, I stepped forward to defend him every time and everywhere I could. ...

Okay, I'll bite. I think I posted this somewhere else, but I will throw out whom I think could fix our problems:

- Kyle Whittingham, Utah HC. He was Urban Meyer's DC. He knows how to beat Alabama's offense. Kyle would have the choice of bringing in his own OC, or promoting Loeffler.

- Will Muschamp, Texas DC. He knows how to build defenses in SEC. His Auburn Tigers of the early 2000s sure seemed to beat us up a lot. If he gets tired of waiting for Mack Brown of Texas to keel over or get fired, he could come to Florida.

- Dan Mullen, Mississippi State HC. Doubt it. The Gator Nation and Urban Meyer pretty much pushed him away, and now I think they only miss him because he is gone. He did help recruit some of these guys, especially Trey Burton (although one could argue that Trey wanted to come here since he was in grade school).

- Bob Stoops, Oklahoma HC. This is probably my favorite, but one of the least likely. He could bring his OC with him and build a great defense here. He has connections to UF, is friends with Foley, and a home in Florida.

- Mike Leach, former Texas Tech HC. Screw defense. This guy knows offense. He has more NFL QBs under him than Urban Meyer, and we would not need those extraneous running backs.

- Chris Peterson, Boise State HC. He already looks good in orange and blue. Maybe he will paint the Swamp blue. If he wants to be considered a legitimate coach in a legitimate conference, and not wait for Ohio State or Oklahoma to falter and give him a shot, then come to Florida.

- Urban Meyer, lost in the Swamp. A year ago I would have followed him over a cliff. Then he almost led us all to that cliff when he resigned. Now he just is not the same person. There is hope that he will find himself and right the ship himself. The Gator Nation thinks it has the answer--fire Addazio as OC. That might resolve a few issues, but how do we explain our anemic defense as well? If the lost HC and OC are indirectly poisoning our swagger on defense, then maybe it is time to let UM go. Right now, I am not ready to make that claim.

Are any of these guys better than Urban Meyer? Depends. None are better than the old Urban, as someone put it. I think all of them are better than the new Urban, but I will reserve final judgement.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good summation and overview.
I'm with you pretty well all along the line...both in terms of what is likely (and UNlikely) and what is realistic. Little different order from my P.O.V., and I boil it down to this:

Kyle Wittingham is the perfect fit, for the reasons you give and more. We'd be back on top by next season--right where "Old" Urban would have taken us I think if he hadn't bailed for parts unknown.

Chris Peterson would work almost as well--in fact, it is mainly just personal intuition that I put Wittingham a notch above him for the GATOR job.

Bob Stoops--almost thought we'd get him last time, post-Zook. You get the feeling he might be sick of getting 2nd guessed at Norman...not sure he'd move unless he HAD to though--and that same above intuition says "Get the New Young Gun who's flush with his own ideas and vision and driven by new ambition". Anyway, we want someone who WANTS to be a Gator, and Big Time Bob HAD his chance and passed.

Escambia94

Good point on Stoops wanting to be a Gator. That's a good POV to consider, one that I had not considered before now. Very well played.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
Meyer deserves at least one more year.

:confused0054:

Wow. So two NC's, top 5 recruiting classes, coaching the greatest college football player in history, etc etc and we have a hiccup season after losing all those great players but we're kind enough to admit that UM deserves one more season.

gator347

Gator Fan
The only way Urban leaves is if he wants to.

OC, that's different. However, Meyer is SOOOOO loyal he would never fire Addazio. I could see him demoted back but he would do it to allow Addazio to save face or let a young gun call the plays.

I hate the play calling but Addazio did step-up when we needed him. You have to respect him for that.

In any case, as long Urban is HC, I see Florida recruiting players that "Fit the System" rather than pretending that they "Fit the System to the Players"

"There is NO SYSTEM" Yeah, R-I-G-H-T!

Escambia94

The only way Urban leaves is if he wants to.

OC, that's different. However, Meyer is SOOOOO loyal he would never fire Addazio. I could see him demoted back but he would do it to allow Addazio to save face or let a young gun call the plays.

I hate the play calling but Addazio did step-up when we needed him. You have to respect him for that.

In any case, as long Urban is HC, I see Florida recruiting players that "Fit the System" rather than pretending that they "Fit the System to the Players"

"There is NO SYSTEM" Yeah, R-I-G-H-T!

My theory on the system is that you are right--the Urban Attack is a system well described in Urban Meyer's Plan to Win. For some odd reason, he saw fit to modify the system just for Chris Leak and crew, presumably because those players were recruited for and trained for the Zooker's offense. We armchair QBs of the Gator Nation allowed ourselves to believe that with Brantley under center that UM would once again modify his Plan to Win for the passing talents of Brantley. We were wrong. Dead wrong. The media thought the same thing. It is apparent that we are indeed married to the spread option, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The System. UM thinks that Brantley should have learned the System in three years as an understudy to the Man. Perhaps JB should not have listened to dad and uncle when they convinced JB to not go to Texas and go to good ol' UF like the rest of the family. In some ways I feel bad for JB--he would fit in the Texas spread offense much better than Gilbert, and he could have possibly unseated Colt McCoy. Now, he gets an offense that will not highlight his abilities, nor get him into the NFL. Poor kid. It's the System. Trey Burton was recruited for the System, but JB was recruited for bleeding Orange and Blue like dad and uncle. Tough situation. It's not his fault. The coaches could have rewarded JB's patience and loyalty by molding the offense around him like they did with Leak...just one more time. It's not like we are going to ever get another pure passer to voluntarily come to UF after seeing this offense. Jeff Driskel may be close to a pure passer, but he grew up on the Gators, and he is actually a legitimate dual threat. The System is not built for Brantley--it's built for Burton and Driskel. Maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema