• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

38 days to Florida Gator football: #38 – Willie J. McGrady

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
38-Willy J McGrady.jpg

38 days to Florida Gator football! #38 – Willie J. McGrady (12/19/1968 – 5/17/1999). Willie McGrady of Palatka, Florida via Dothan, Alabama, played middle guard/ nose tackle and fullback for Galen Hall‘s Florida Gators from 1987 to 1988. At 6’3″, 247 pounds, and blessed with 4.5-speed, he was strong enough to pave the way for Emmitt Smith as blocking fullback or plow through opposingSEC offensive lines as middle guard/ nose tackle–in the same game! Willie was the first Gator to play both offense and defense in the same game since the mid-1960s when NCAA mandated two-way play for scholarship players. Willie loved hitting people so much, that he was also used on punt and kick coverage. Opposing players often remarked that they would avoid hitting him or aim for his shoelaces, because he was so solid and painful to hit. Although Emmitt Smith was a great running back in his own right, he often gives credit to Willie for paving the way during his freshman and sophomore years, most notably Emmitt’s 224-yard coming out party against Alabama in 1987. Unfortunately, Willie was diagnosed with congenital neck problems and was forced to leave the team after his sophomore season of 1988. Dejected and depressed, he wandered up and down the east coast and spent some time in prison before deciding to get his life together. He returned toUniversity of Florida in 1992, finished his degree in therapeutic recreation in 1994, met his future wife and began his new life helping emotionally handicapped kids. Tragically, Willie was shot and killed in May of 1999.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
A shame after that he had some issues after leaving football, he got his life together then all of a sudden he's gunned down.

Escambia94

A shame after that he had some issues after leaving football, he got his life together then all of a sudden he's gunned down.

Agreed. What a tragedy. There is debate as to why then 20-year old Anthony Lynn of Dothan, Alabama shot Willie in the neck. Some say it was over a car repair bill (Willie fixed cars on the side). Some say it was animosity over Willie being a Floridian staying in small-town Dothan (although Willie was born in Dothan, he mostly lived in Palatka, Florida before moving back to Dothan in the late 1990s). Some say it was animosity over the McGrady family leaving town and then coming back years later. Willie went into therapeutic recreation to help kids and prevent them from turning into thugs like Anthony Lynn, and we see what happened.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Man, those Bama fans are ruthless though Dothan is probably more of a Auburn town. I mean kill a guy just because he played for the Gators and live in FL (if those rumors are true).

Escambia94

If you have been through small town Alabama, you know this kind of thing was entirely possible. The only speeding tickets I have ever received have been in Alabama. The only car break-ins I have had occurred in Alabama or Miami, FL (note: I do not consider Miami to be part of Florida--it belongs to Cuba).

Escambia94

I wish that was the case because no Senator Rubio.

Case in point: Marco Rubio is a Cuban-American. His grandfather, oddly enough, legally immigrated to America in the 1950s, had trouble finding a job and returned to Cuba, illegally returned to America in the 1960s and was deported, then "allowed" to remain in America without a visa due to paperwork error. I would imagine that a lot of Miami locals are descended from illegally legal immigrants that were caught in paperwork errors that made it illegally legal for them to Cubanize all of Miami.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema