• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

10/20: Addazio, Brantley talk about execution on OGGOA

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
cant deny we could be a 1 loss or undefeated if we had newton

we got alot more talent then auburn

but after seeing newton run over that vol his freshmen yr i could tell he'd be the faster stronger version of tebow and he's proven that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60_8ln-MgE

He is bigger and faster than Tebow, no doubt about it. I am not convinced that those two qualities would fix this year's team. We need a field general on offense and defense. 1 loss? Maybe. More than likely we would need two Cam Newtons, one on both sides of the ball, in order to only have 2 losses.

We got the talent. That's the key. What translates talent into production? Effort. Execution. What inspires people to execute? Leadership. Coaching. Discipline. Desire. What are we lacking today besides a Cam Newton athlete? Leadership. Discipline. Desire. Trey Burton is my favorite player now because he is the closest one.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Agreed. I am Escambia94 and I endorse this post.

By the way, have you seen this kid throw off his back foot? He throws better with the ugliest throwing motion than anybody else I have seen. He can fire a laser off his back foot while scrambling backwards! His OC probably saw that and thought, "This sure is ugly, but I'm not messing with it as long as he's airing it out." Urban Meyer's offense might not have let him do this. Cam passes out of the spread well when he is rolling, but in the pocket he would rather run up the middle. I still think Trey Burton would throw well if his offense let him move to the edges. Trey and Cam have the same ugly throwing motion, yet Trey will probably be converted away from QB next year. Interesting.

Yeah, I saw something on ESPN recently showing his stats when blitzed vs when he has time to pick apart the defense. He has a much higher qb rating when rushed.

Escambia94

Yeah, I saw something on ESPN recently showing his stats when blitzed vs when he has time to pick apart the defense. He has a much higher qb rating when rushed.

If the o-line does not improve overnight, I would roll Brantley away from the kill zone. He's getting eaten up alive between the hashes. Maybe he won't throw as well as Cam Newton on the run, but at least he will live another day.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I totally agree with most of the above posts by Escambia94 AND GainesvillebornNraised...Not sure if Newton was "meant-to-be" a Gator either, and certainly saw it the coaches' way at the time they let him move on...
As for all the nuances of last year's "just-miss-season" and where to place the blame as it all slipped away, there WAS an undercurrent of selfishness that crept to the fore, but it wasn't JUST certain players who lost perspective. And BTW: I would take a leader who cared so much about the outcome of the Championship Game that he cried at the end of its loss (even if it weren't TT, but it WAS) over ANYONE. This is only one of a BUNCH of reasons you can't compare him with Cam Newton--it's not just about the onfield skills.
Overall, at THIS point it isn't so much about "would have/should have/could have" as it is about "What the hell happened to adapting Meyer's Spread to our 'pure pocket passer', #12?" We're missing LEADERS, on the field and on the sidelines, and NOTHING in either the players' performances OR the SCHEME they're asked to function in began well at the start of the season or has evolved since in any discernible way.
If it were anyone else but Urban Meyer, there would have already BEEN a full scale crescendo of voices calling for change--and not just in the offense's formations!

Escambia94

I saw a comparison between Brantley and Leak statistics, and it appears to me that they are statistically close in percent completions and yards per game, but nowhere close on yards per attempt.

Whether we like it or not, the numbers show that the offense is being molded around JB in the eyes of the OC, but JB is bailing on the deep routes and using his outlet. JB has been padding his numbers in spurts, usually when we are way behind (apparently way behind is now defined as 3 points).

If JB were in hurry up, no huddle in the 1st quarter and not just when we were behind I think we would look a lot better even with this horrid play calling. Throw in a better o-line or designed rollouts...

In short, we only look okay statistically in the eyes of the OC because of JB in hurry up mode.

JB plain sucks for our offense he screwed the whole mojo up how could coaches not see we NEED a freaking dual threat QB or else we suck

Newton is the heisman leader and doing what tim was doing with way less

our WR cant get open because JB moves like a turtle and never scrambles and im starting to think our WR coach sucks too

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's what we see on the field, GainesvillebirnNraised, but is it really all JB's fault? At this point, he's running (loping? limping? moseying?) scared, but is that the way it would have turned out by now if he'd been used the way we were given to understand was the plan, ie. if the overall scheme was adapted around him?
By now he looks like a ghost of what we all once saw in him; he may very well be "ruined", from a psychological/attitudinal P.O.V. He certainly does "bail" on any chance at throwing long, at this point (Remember the first couple of games, when he threw several beautiful bombs right on the money downfield--only to have them go right through Thompson's hands and fall away harmlessly?). He never even LOOKS long anymore, let alone try to throw it there--are these plays even called now? Is it JB's choice to immediately check off, or has Addazio's play calling gone this route as well, as I suspect?
Meanwhile, speaking of "attitude", that's why I'm a Trey Burton fan now too--he at least (and, I'm sad to say, almost ALONE) has a fire about him to go along with his obvious talent (again, there's talent all OVER the field on both sides of the ball for the Gators--and whether it's injury, misuse or poor chemistry it has landed this TEAM in that "Bottom Ten"), and it seems to catch on with the rest of the players around him to some extent when he comes on the field.
Not saying he's "the guy", the answer long term, but there's a lesson (and HOPE) there for the whole team (including the coaching staff), and I DO enjoy watching the offense more when he's in there. THAT counts for something.

Escambia94

Trey Burton is the answer for 2010 for one reason: mojo. Re-compete the job in 2011 and maybe JB or Driskel push Burton to WR or TE, but for now Burton brings the mojo.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Trey Burton is the answer for 2010 for one reason: mojo. Re-compete the job in 2011 and maybe JB or Driskel push Burton to WR or TE, but for now Burton brings the mojo.

Can't argue with you.
Seems pretty clear, right? Which means, of course, that nothing of the kind will actually happen. Pick your favorite rationalization.
"Mojo? MOJO? We play smashmouth football here at Florida!"

The Zooker

VIP Member
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but Trey Burton is never going to be the starting quarterback for the University of Florida. That's already been decided by the coaching staff. The only time you will see him at QB is to run the option and wildcat formations. Brantley will remain the starter all season. Brantley will be the starter for 2011. And Driskel will be the starter in 2012. Burton will be allowed to throw but only on trick plays.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess we're
1)talking about who we DO like right now, and what we like about him, and/or
2)day-dreaming, throwing out there whatever we have a gut-feeling could ignite this offense (and Trey Burtoan is all ABOUT gut-feelings and "throwing it out there"!), and or
3)wishin' and hopin' that something or someone can bring some fun, excitement hope and VICTORIES to the otherwise moribund "vibe" surrounding this team now, the result of our team's (so far) half-season long "excercise in futility".
4)all of the above.
Choose one.

Escambia94

I don't think Trey is the better QB for the Gators, but is potentially a good spark, and a better leader. If he's not the starter after WLOCP then give him a couple complete series to soften up the defense by running, and to keep us unpredictable.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but Trey Burton is never going to be the starting quarterback for the University of Florida. That's already been decided by the coaching staff. The only time you will see him at QB is to run the option and wildcat formations. Brantley will remain the starter all season. Brantley will be the starter for 2011. And Driskel will be the starter in 2012. Burton will be allowed to throw but only on trick plays.
unless JB is peyton manning in practice or something i dont see why driskel wouldnt be better for our offense atleast he has some quicks and they say he can throw it pretty

he should get a shot unless our team doesnt care who's the best? senority rules :confused0082:

Escambia94

unless JB is peyton manning in practice or something i dont see why driskel wouldnt be better for our offense atleast he has some quicks and they say he can throw it pretty

he should get a shot unless our team doesnt care who's the best? senority rules :confused0082:

It does not appear that this coaching staff likes starting freshmen, at least not as much as, say, Texas, Oklahoma, or USC. JB will be the starter in '11.

It does not appear that this coaching staff likes starting freshmen, at least not as much as, say, Texas, Oklahoma, or USC. JB will be the starter in '11.
and i will be :no: while his slow ass is getting sacked 5 times a game trying to run a spread. he should leave like mallet and we should get a denard robinson

i wish we had chip kelly from oregon he realizes this offense needs a QB with quicksto work. he lost masoli no big the back up takes them to #2 in the country and an offense that racks up points like we did in 08

obviously the hybrid version of both we been doing sucks

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Please stop comparing Cam Newton with TT--I know, I know the temptation, based on size, the kind of on-field threat he is, AND the fact that presumably WE could have kept him but didn't, but...uh, what was my point?
Oh yeah: he IS a different kind of PERSON in every way. On the other hand, I can't deny he's come a long way. Others have made the point that maybe he HAD to go through all he did, face his demons, come close to losing it all then work his way back, to be what he is now.
Still and all, there'll NEVER be one like Tebow again, that same combination of intensity, drive, skill and boyish charisma wrapped up in an undeniable leader.

limelight543

Gator Fan
im new here and follow the gators a lot and im just curious as to why u all think ANY of the 2011 recruits will come after this year? It would be joining a team at this point with no idea as to what this time is anymore, we shuffle our QB's as much as lsu and have as much or as little success with it.

im new here and follow the gators a lot and im just curious as to why u all think ANY of the 2011 recruits will come after this year? It would be joining a team at this point with no idea as to what this time is anymore, we shuffle our QB's as much as lsu and have as much or as little success with it.

playing time and hoping its a down yr oklahoma was 8-5 last yr now their #1

limelight543

Gator Fan
well i can have hope but its not doing much at this point, were going to lose i would say a large majority of our talent this year to the draft, why would they stay next year? Demps will probably leave jenkins black etc....so we need these recruits if we dont start playing well this might be a long strand of rebuilding...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema