• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

we really need to get a staff together

we keep losing recruits so far we've lost 3 good ones and theres some more on the fence

hopefully muschamp gets alot done during the dead period cuz we still got alot of scholly's to give out

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Remember: Not only Bowl Games but NFL reg. season ends right after New Year's...guess a couple of our new HC's biggest choices coaching-wise aren't free 'til then.

robdog

Gator Fan
This is really going to hurt for next season... I have a feeling the next couple of years are not going to be that good with the whole coaching change situation. Is it safe to say that we are in a "rebuilding" mode?

The Zooker

VIP Member
Next year will be rebuilding and refining. We have a ridiculous amount of young talent right now. I'm confident we will be very dangerous by 2012. Driskel will be ready to take over. And all those young defensive studs we recruited will be ready to go. Not to mention we'll have Mack Brown and Mike Blakely pounding the ball. Probably Gilly too. We have a ton of young receivers who can develop into studs as well. The biggest concern I have coming up is O line. That's about it. We need to hit the recruiting trail hard and quick. Snagging a couple three stars here and there isn't going to cut it. Defensive lines in the SEC are too good.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Next year will be rebuilding and refining. We have a ridiculous amount of young talent right now. I'm confident we will be very dangerous by 2012. Driskel will be ready to take over. And all those young defensive studs we recruited will be ready to go. Not to mention we'll have Mack Brown and Mike Blakely pounding the ball. Probably Gilly too. We have a ton of young receivers who can develop into studs as well. The biggest concern I have coming up is O line. That's about it. We need to hit the recruiting trail hard and quick. Snagging a couple three stars here and there isn't going to cut it. Defensive lines in the SEC are too good.

This sounds like my prediction for 2010. Just replace Driskel with Brantley and Blakely with Demps.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I need to see what the staff hires are going to be, and what they do--hopefully a lot, and QUICKLY. That'll be the main story, I guess, until it happens (what do ya think, maybe the first Monday of the New Year?).
I hesitate to discuss where we're headed, how far and how fast, in the meantime, either.
Gotta figure there's a lot going on furiously but quietly behind the scenes in order to be ready to move. This coach, along with every coach who knows they will remain or will BE Gators when the time comes (and I suspect that includes most of the eventual staff), knows what's at stake, the opportunities and the dangers, the potential and the pitfalls. I'm "wait'n'see" 'til then.

Escambia94

To be honest, I am not too worried as long as the new regime quits with the frigging mystery and coach speak. No more grading out the entire team as champions, nobody saying we just need to get better, and for crying out loud--open up practice to the public.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm thinking you'll get all three of your wishes with "The CHOMP". Just seems to go with his character--which he wears on his sleeve, after all.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
This is really going to hurt for next season... I have a feeling the next couple of years are not going to be that good with the whole coaching change situation. Is it safe to say that we are in a "rebuilding" mode?

i dont think rebuilding even comes close to describing it lol

The Zooker

VIP Member
We'll be fine as long as Boom can grab a few key players once the dead period is up. Normally I'd say we won't be competing for anything next season, but anyone who has watched the world of college football long enough knows what happens to preseason expectations. Seriously, who though Auburn was going to win the SEC coming into the season?

Gatorfan24

Gator Fan
If we don't get a staff together, we're not going to be getting any useful recruits at all. We've already dropped a couple

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wait at least 'til the 2nd week of Jan. or so before y'all start freakin' out, OK? I think this period "in limbo" will be over by then, and things will move pretty quickly once it is.

2nd week of jan will make us miss some big names at the all star games

imo he coulda kept austin as DC he has NFL exp and did pretty damn good last yr with that terrible offense

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Look, you're missing the point: CHOMP will have people in place and out there talking to prospective recruits in time--if necessary (and probably regardless if it's necessary) he'll be out there himself, making sure he gets some needs filled. Look for him to make some moves especially on defense, his forte after all, and where we have some glaring holes in what is otherwise a potentially KILLER squad. Offensive line as well. Between what we already have and Driskell coming in, a couple of WR's and maybe another RB AND holding onto the rest of our commits would probably be satisfactory on offense. Our new Head Coach will bring in some guys we wouldn't have gotten any other way, too...he's known as a relentless, charismatic recruiter across the south and west (including here in Texas, where there are a few guys at least TALKING about possibly following him), and HE knows what's at stake and what he has to do to get things moving in the right direction here at UF as soon and as quickly as possible. Given the time of year AND the situation right now (ie. Muschamp in the background doing his best to get ready for "all of the above", while the TEAM gets ready for its bowl game, led by Meyer and co. in a sort of "honored lame-duck" status), he HAS to move quietly AND carefully for the moment--BUT DON'T WORRY. If I am wrong, I'll be right there with you admitting my misplaced confidence, talking about lost opportunities and all the rest--but I don't think I will be: This guy is smart and HUNGRY, and he knows his sh*t: a good combination for the task(s) at hand.

Escambia94

I like to use history to help guess at the future, and what history tells us is that a coordinator being hired as head coach has fewer connections and less influence over other coaches. If a school takes a head coach away from another school, one can expect to see between 50% and 100% of those coaches switching over. If a school takes a coordinator, one can expect that coordinator to raid his former team of only a handful of coaches and depend on connections in other schools. The issue of retaining former staff members has way too many variables to consider--the current win-loss record, the destination of the ousted or retired head coach, and other factors that depend entirely on the incoming head coach.

What that means for MusCHOMP is that as a former defensive coordinator for Texas, I would expect at most one or two other former Texas coaches to come over to Florida and the rest would be a mix of his buddies at other programs, hot commodities that Muschamp has run into, and a few of the Gator coaches from last year. No surprises in any of those assumptions. What kind of variables are we considering? Steve Addazio is going to raid a sizable chunk of the offense/special teams, so I expect to see Stan Drayton (RBs), Brian White (TEs), DJ Durkin (ST, LBs), Scot Loeffler (QBs), or Zach Azzanni (WRs) go to Temple. Azzanni has only coached receivers in the spread, so he MIGHT not be a good fit for whichever offensive coordinator we get. Loeffler and Drayton have worked outside the spread and in the pros, so they could be retained theoretically...but I doubt it unless we cannot hire a showstopper OC. The other offensive coaches will likely follow Addazio or go to some other team. On defense, I do not see a reason to get rid of Chuck Heater. I could even see Muschamp keeping Teryl Austin. Durkin is probably not going to be an LB coach under Muschamp.

None of these assumptions are based on rumors--this is just my best guess based on what history tells us. History tells us that Addazio is going to take a couple offensive coaches that may not fit under Muschamp (Azzanni being the most vulnerable), the spread coaches with no NFL experience. Some of them can fit regardless of the offensive coordinator we bring in (Loeffler and Drayton). On defense, we have no idea how much Muschamp wants to do hands-on, but he could keep both Heater and Austin if he wanted to since Austin has NFL experience and our defense would only get better with Muschamp's insight if they can figure out how to balance three defensive minds--Austin, Heater, and Muschamp. More than likely, one of them will go and Muschamp will be co-DC with Austin or Heater...if he cannot snag someone like Kirby Smart.

Regardless of the situation, we are good on defense. Offense could be tricky. Since Muschamp was not a head coach, it might be difficult to rip an entire offensive staff off another team, and it could get expensive to pluck an NFL OC. Josh McDaniel is looking for a job, but he made twice as much last year as Muschamp will make next year. That leaves me to believe we will be looking at other colleges. In that case, the ones worth snagging are all busy right now with bowl games, so we will not hear anything until the bowl games are over.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Foley said that he expects most of the staff to be in place by Tuesday so that we can get back to recruiting when the dead period is over.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Zooker: Exactly how I felt (and what I've been SAYING) all along.

E-: Just one point, a reminder to add to your balance-scale--Muschamp was the "Head-Coach-In-Waiting" at UT, and they took that seriously, emphasizing it publicly and giving him more autonomy and a public profile than anyone else on the staff of what otherwise was strongly, solely MACK BROWN'S team. All the more reason why they were (and continue to BE!) so put out regarding his "desertion". That high profile, along with his general reputation in a number of areas, might give him a little more weight than a "normal" OC in the way you are rating his impact among fellow coaches (AND I believe he has some serious UF money this time to spend to get the right guy(s), too).

Escambia94

Zooker: Exactly how I felt (and what I've been SAYING) all along.

E-: Just one point, a reminder to add to your balance-scale--Muschamp was the "Head-Coach-In-Waiting" at UT, and they took that seriously, emphasizing it publicly and giving him more autonomy and a public profile than anyone else on the staff of what otherwise was strongly, solely MACK BROWN'S team. All the more reason why they were (and continue to BE!) so put out regarding his "desertion". That high profile, along with his general reputation in a number of areas, might give him a little more weight than a "normal" OC in the way you are rating his impact among fellow coaches (AND I believe he has some serious UF money this time to spend to get the right guy(s), too).

Good point. The "head coach in waiting" situation is a rare one, so there is little history to base any assumptions on. You are right. Mack Brown gave Will Muschamp a lot of autonomy, so he has more weight than a normal DC. Still, he lacks the weight of a head coach, so I do not see him ripping more than one coach from Texas, or more than two or three from one team like a former head coach can. It may not be a problem. You can see several Mike Leach protégés all around NCAA with good offenses, and it would be nice to grab one of them for Florida. We do not know exactly what MusCHOMP meant by going to a pro style offense, but if he has someone in mind it would be easier to grab several coaches from one school since he is likely not going to keep more than a couple offensive coaches from Urban Meyer's staff. I cannot imagine where he is looking. This is like Christmas Eve waiting to see what we get under the tree!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema