• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Percy's Positive Result Is Confirmed

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Profootball Talk
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2009, 10:08 p.m. EDT
Though NFLDraftBible.com took a lot of criticism a couple of weeks ago, and perhaps rightfully so, for naming six players as having tested positive for marijuana or banned substances at the Scouting Combine, we’ve confirmed that one of the players outed by the web site — Florida receiver Percy Harvin — indeed tested positive for marijuana at the Combine.
The news isn’t a surprise, given that neither Harvin nor his agent, Joel Segal, have disputed the original report.
The impact of the result on Harvin’s draft standing remains to be seen. Smoking marijuana is a fairly common phenomenon; the issue is whether a guy can stop doing it in order to avoid getting suspended.
The fact that Harvin wasn’t able to produce clean urine for a test that he knew he was going to be taking isn’t an encouraging sign.
ORIGIN.......

Ben Volin from PBP article on the matter...HERE

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Is there anything Percy can do to repair his image? Should he just stay silent, or would it be better to come out and admit to the mistake?

inthestands

Gator Fan
Is there anything Percy can do to repair his image? Should he just stay silent, or would it be better to come out and admit to the mistake?

I don't want his image repaired. I love the Gators but Percy is an idiot and deserves to be sitting at home working for a grocery store. He does not deserve to make millions of dollars. I hope they ban him from the NFL, along with any other player who failed their test. It would be one thing if they didn't know the test was coming. But they knew and they still smoked. What an idiot, I hope he ends up bagging groceries for the rest of his life, because I will be pissed if this idiot makes millions while intelligent people like me and you have to struggle to just be comfortable. What an idiot! I wish nothing but the worst on you Percy.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I don't want his image repaired. I love the Gators but Percy is an idiot and deserves to be sitting at home working for a grocery store. He does not deserve to make millions of dollars. I hope they ban him from the NFL, along with any other player who failed their test. It would be one thing if they didn't know the test was coming. But they knew and they still smoked. What an idiot, I hope he ends up bagging groceries for the rest of his life, because I will be pissed if this idiot makes millions while intelligent people like me and you have to struggle to just be comfortable. What an idiot! I wish nothing but the worst on you Percy.

I feel and understand your sentiment about Harvin and the other players who failed their test, but I don't know if he/they should be banned from the NFL.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
No other evidence was given, except for the confirmation provided by writer Mike Florio, but Florio most certainly has the attention of all 32 NFL teams. The Dolphins, in fact, charge their interns with monitoring ProFootballTalk 24 hours a day to keep tabs on NFL news.

Florio’s report is not the be-all end-all, but all signs have been pointing this way since the initial news surfaced two weeks ago.

"Confirmation provided by a writer"? Knowing how some sportswriters like to spin stories to their own satisfaction leaves a gray area here. As far as I see it, it's neither here nor there. I tend to think that somebody's out to smear Percy and others.

Not only did someone inside the NFL violate protocol by leaking the results to the media, but some doubt was cast over the report because no one else had confirmed it.

Another point - who the hell is this "source"? You know, a "source" could start a rumor that the moon is made out of green cheese, and those gullible enough to fall for it would stretch it even further. If indeed this story is true, why can't this so-called "source" be identified?

And even if Percy did smoke a doobie knowing he was going to be drug-tested, shame on him, but hopefully he'll have learned a lesson from all this. You know, some were also so quick to point a finger at Joakim Noah a while back for his getting busted for weed, but he never got into any serious trouble like others have.

And that lesson: Percy needs to start growing up, just like Noah. They were kids in college, now they need to act like grown men in the pros and be responsible for themselves.

Aren't you overreacting a bit?

inthestands

Gator Fan
Aren't you overreacting a bit?

I don't think so, now if it turns out to be untrue then yes. But if it is true, no, because people like me, who are very smart and work very hard have to settle in life for "just comfortable", while idiots who can't pass a drug test that they already know is coming get to make millions. It is a little messed up don't you think? I have no problem with atheletes making tons of money, I am not a fan of "class-envy", but THUGS and pure idiots should not be allowed to make tons of money... they should live of a grocery baggers salary. Everyone is made to pay for their mistakes except the people who are the least productive in society (atheletes and other celeberities), it is time that changes. So, in short, if this is true then HELL NO I didn't overreact. I am still holding on to some glimmer of hope that this is not true. But, I would be willing to bet that it is.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I don't think so, now if it turns out to be untrue then yes. But if it is true, no, because people like me, who are very smart and work very hard have to settle in life for "just comfortable", while idiots who can't pass a drug test that they already know is coming get to make millions. It is a little messed up don't you think? I have no problem with atheletes making tons of money, I am not a fan of "class-envy", but THUGS and pure idiots should not be allowed to make tons of money... they should live of a grocery baggers salary. Everyone is made to pay for their mistakes except the people who are the least productive in society (atheletes and other celeberities), it is time that changes. So, in short, if this is true then HELL NO I didn't overreact. I am still holding on to some glimmer of hope that this is not true. But, I would be willing to bet that it is.

I wouldn't exactly call Percy a "thug". Was he ever arrested or suspended while he was in a Gator uniform? NO.

On a side note, should every student who smokes weed while they're in college be doomed to a life of bagging groceries as you suggest? NO. Hell, I freely admit that on occasion I smoked it when I was in school, and I sure as hell don't work a "pink-collar" job.

Percy made a silly mistake - no more, no less. He did a stupid thing at the wrong time - that's all.

You may not think you're overreacting, but to me what you've said sounds a little too self-righteous.

inthestands

Gator Fan
I wouldn't exactly call Percy a "thug". Was he ever arrested or suspended while he was in a Gator uniform? NO.

On a side note, should every student who smokes weed while they're in college be doomed to a life of bagging groceries as you suggest? NO. Hell, I freely admit that on occasion I smoked it when I was in school, and I sure as hell don't work a "pink-collar" job.

Percy made a silly mistake - no more, no less. He did a stupid thing at the wrong time - that's all.

You may not think you're overreacting, but to me what you've said sounds a little too self-righteous.

Not trying to sound self righteous at all, and I smoked when I was in school too. I don't think everyone who smokes should bag groceries, you are missing my point. Silly mistakes are mistakes like smoking and getting a drug test popped on you. Being a complete idiot is knowing when a drug test is (there was no secret, he knew exactly when it would be) and smoking anyways. That is stupidity. I do not believe that stupid people should be allowed to make millions just because they are atheletic. Also, I wasn't calling Percy a thug, that was a blanket statement that I should have clarified. By thug I meant nearly 30% of NFL players and many college players as well who do get arrested and get away with it. So Percy was not included in that category, I was simply including the thugs in the conversation about who should be bagging groceries and not playing football. Now, with all that being said, I overstated things. I believe that everyone changes, but not over night. Like Vick, I believe he should be given a chance to prove he has changed, along with many other NFL players who have been arrested. But I do not believe it should be immediate, you should be made to sit out a year (without pay) if you do something stupid like fail a drug test that you know is coming. With all that said I probably should make it clear that I believe what Vick did was dispicable... Just in case anyone thought I was trying to defend him, because I never would defend him.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Not trying to sound self righteous at all, and I smoked when I was in school too. I don't think everyone who smokes should bag groceries, you are missing my point. Silly mistakes are mistakes like smoking and getting a drug test popped on you. Being a complete idiot is knowing when a drug test is (there was no secret, he knew exactly when it would be) and smoking anyways. That is stupidity. I do not believe that stupid people should be allowed to make millions just because they are atheletic. Also, I wasn't calling Percy a thug, that was a blanket statement that I should have clarified. By thug I meant nearly 30% of NFL players and many college players as well who do get arrested and get away with it. So Percy was not included in that category, I was simply including the thugs in the conversation about who should be bagging groceries and not playing football. Now, with all that being said, I overstated things. I believe that everyone changes, but not over night. Like Vick, I believe he should be given a chance to prove he has changed, along with many other NFL players who have been arrested. But I do not believe it should be immediate, you should be made to sit out a year (without pay) if you do something stupid like fail a drug test that you know is coming. With all that said I probably should make it clear that I believe what Vick did was dispicable... Just in case anyone thought I was trying to defend him, because I never would defend him.

Fine, but I must agree to disagree with you on Percy. And who knows if it's completely true or not? There are so many rumor-mongers out there who like to cause trouble, and I'm very leery of reading and hearing stories that ruminate from a so called "source" who refuses to be identified and disclosed.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness

Overreact much??? BTW what did grocery store baggers ever do to you? Why do you associate drug users and thugs with them?

inthestands

Gator Fan
Overreact much??? BTW what did grocery store baggers ever do to you? Why do you associate drug users and thugs with them?

Nothing against grocery baggers, and I didn't mean to make a connection there. I used to bag groceries and at the time I didn't even do drugs. I was simply using a job that doesn't necessarily pay a huge amount of money, not to belittle the job or anyine who works that job. Like I said, I don't think that you should be allowed to make millions immediately after pulling a stupid stunt like failing a drug test you knew was coming. I think you should have to sit out a year and pass the drug test the next year. The point was this, there are very intellegent people doing jobs that do not pay much (bagging groceries for example), then idiots (and we don't even know 100% that Percy did this, so this statement is blanket and not intended for Percy per se) are allowed to fail a drug test they knew was coming and make millions immediately after that. I just think they should have to wait a year or two, that's all. Now can't you see my point? I overstated it at first, but I think I have clarified it.

WOW. Yes, he is such a horrible, horrible person for smoking some pot. At least he isn't out driving around drunk, killing innocent people. Give the guy a break, he had a bad image coming into Gainesville and did a wonderful job keeping his nose clean. With some of the problems that our team has had with individual players (Newton, Davis, Hornsby, Rickerson) I think we should be happy with how well he stayed in line. So what if he tested positive for marijuana? I can think of a hundred things off of the top of my head that are far worse than that. And if you consider yourself intelligent, then don't tie me in with you.:stupid:

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

More on this comment - compared to what USC's Mark Sanchez has done in his past (arrested for sexual assault, underage drinking, and using a fake ID in college; had other run-ins with the law in high school) Percy Harvin almost appears angelic.

Funny thing, but I don't see the media (especially all these jackass rumor-mongers) making a big deal about Sanchez' character - why are they as well as other fans singling out Percy Harvin over taking a toke?

Percy did a stupid thing if these allegations are true (I have YET to read anything from somebody in an "official" capacity), but as I've said before, so have other athletes. After all, we don't live in a perfect world. If there is any big deal, it's because right now weed is illegal - but then again, Percy was never arrested while he was wearing the Gator Orange and Blue.

I posted a link to an article Mike Bianchi wrote in the Orlando Sentinel yesterday regarding athletes and alcohol/marijuana use in the Other Sports forum. FWIW I'd read it; as controversial as Bianchi can be at times, he's spot-on with this one and brings up some good points. (Here's the link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsbianchicol15041509apr15,0,3194200.column)

Rex Grossman had a HUGE party-boy reputation while he was at UF, but that didn't keep him from getting picked as a first-rounder.

Until he's proven guilty, Percy needs a break.

inthestands

Gator Fan
WOW. Yes, he is such a horrible, horrible person for smoking some pot. At least he isn't out driving around drunk, killing innocent people. Give the guy a break, he had a bad image coming into Gainesville and did a wonderful job keeping his nose clean. With some of the problems that our team has had with individual players (Newton, Davis, Hornsby, Rickerson) I think we should be happy with how well he stayed in line. So what if he tested positive for marijuana? I can think of a hundred things off of the top of my head that are far worse than that. And if you consider yourself intelligent, then don't tie me in with you.:stupid:

I can think of worse things too... you are missing the point. It isn't that he failed a drug test, I smoked pot at one time. But if you think he deserves millions after failing a drug test that he KNEW WAS COMING then no, I would never consider you intelligent. Failing a drug test is a stupid mistake, failing a drug test that you know is coming is WAY beyond a stupid mistake. Now, until some evidence is provided and it is truely confimed, I will give him a break. I wouldn't even care if he failed a drug test if it were a surprise test... my problem is that I just don't think anyone who fails a drug test they know is coming and what day it will be on should ever make millions of dollars.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
There is no doubt that the repercussions from the report of Percy failing his drug test will affect his initial earning power. If it is untrue, and it would be unlikely to find the origins, if it is a rumor just to get him out of the first round to be picked by a team in the second round.
If it is true, the only thing we can substantiate from it is that Percy was irresponsible and immature (maybe he was too stoned to realize what day he should stop inhaling so that it wouldn't show up in his blood sample) and his managers / handlers are less than effective.
I think the other issue here is the use of the weed itself. Maybe we should move that part of the discussion to greener pastures. All kidding aside IMHO however this turns out Percy will still be living his dream and playing for an NFL team and I for one am glad I witnessed such a phenomenal talent.:D

castawaygator

VIP Member
IF TRUE!!!

What an F'ing fool Percy!! why the hell would he do drugs with so much on the line for his future RIGHT NOW!!!

i am not sure the punishment i would give him, grocery bags or not.

i do know that anybody on this forum with a career/ decent job, probably would not have gotten their job with a failed drug screen. so why should you accept less punishment for a football player????? sure he is a great player, but no better than and no less deserving of being punished than your everyday person.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Nothing against grocery baggers, and I didn't mean to make a connection there. I used to bag groceries and at the time I didn't even do drugs. I was simply using a job that doesn't necessarily pay a huge amount of money, not to belittle the job or anyine who works that job. Like I said, I don't think that you should be allowed to make millions immediately after pulling a stupid stunt like failing a drug test you knew was coming. I think you should have to sit out a year and pass the drug test the next year. The point was this, there are very intellegent people doing jobs that do not pay much (bagging groceries for example), then idiots (and we don't even know 100% that Percy did this, so this statement is blanket and not intended for Percy per se) are allowed to fail a drug test they knew was coming and make millions immediately after that. I just think they should have to wait a year or two, that's all. Now can't you see my point? I overstated it at first, but I think I have clarified it.

I see the jist of your point, but you are sounding very hipocritical in your assesment.

Harvin WILL see the faults of his indescretion by losing draft spots which will end up costing him some major $$$.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Robbie Andreu sticks up for Percy in his own way: http://randreu.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2364787

My own thoughts on this whole matter: Those rumor-mongers out there who may read this post ought to look at themselves in the mirror and ask whether or not they can think of something more constructive to do with their lives than spread innuendo all over the place and stir the pot on purpose just to (1) attract the attention of their readers, (2) commit sabotage or (3) have no other purpose in life other than to piss people off.

What matters the most is that Percy possesses a skillset many NFL teams would covet. Also, what may have raised some red flags with colleges as far as his conduct in high school went never reared their head when he was in college - at least not under Urban Meyer's watch.

It's a shame that so much controversy surrounds Percy right now just because of a few imbeciles in cyberspace who feel a need to start trouble.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Robbie Andreu sticks up for Percy in his own way: http://randreu.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2364787

My own thoughts on this whole matter: Those rumor-mongers out there who may read this post ought to look at themselves in the mirror and ask whether or not they can think of something more constructive to do with their lives than spread innuendo all over the place and stir the pot on purpose just to (1) attract the attention of their readers, (2) commit sabotage or (3) have no other purpose in life other than to piss people off.

What matters the most is that Percy possesses a skillset many NFL teams would covet. Also, what may have raised some red flags with colleges as far as his conduct in high school went never reared their head when he was in college - at least not under Urban Meyer's watch.

It's a shame that so much controversy surrounds Percy right now just because of a few imbeciles in cyberspace who feel a need to start trouble.

^^^^Yeah, What he said^^^^

GatorGal15

VIP Member
I agree what he did was stupid and a bonehead move. But that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a chance. He messed up. People mess up every day. He probably hurt his draft stock - what little he had - but someoen out there will surely give him a chance. He just has to admit what he did was wrong and move forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema