• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OGT 2023 Week 1: Florida Gators 11, #14 Utah Utes 24 (8/31/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
THE FLORIDA GATORS ARE WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP… but not this year.
Someday, absolutely...but now looking further away than I'd been hoping it would as this season played out. Right about now I'd settle for a return to some inkling that we were indeed "back on the right track"!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Someday, absolutely...but now looking further away than I'd been hoping it would as this season played out. Right about now I'd settle for a return to some inkling that we were indeed "back on the right track"!
That was a Scooter Magruder reference.
IMG_9890.jpeg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Did they ever try another QB in there besides Mertz tonight? I mean, I take it he finally completed something on the far side of the 1st down marker out there at some point--but fir the most part he looked like the "dear in the headlights" out there. Not his fault most of the time--that O-line of ours was doing little for our RBs and even LESS for Graham. Utah has shown EVERYONE IN THE SEC how to shut down the Mertz-led offense tonight. They better make some wholesale tactical changes (along with the obvious fundamental ones) in order to get better results as the season goes forward from here.

Escambia94

I am glad we have two offensive line coaches and a two headed monster at running back. 17 rushing yards on 19 attempts.

Escambia94

Last year we had 7 penalties for 38 yards to Utah’s 3 for 15. Today we have 9 penalties for 46 yards with 2 minutes to go.

Escambia94

I can hear Dan Mullen now: “The Gators outgained the Utes on offense, so technically…”

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was a Scooter Magruder reference.
View attachment 813
LOL...
But I came into this season figuring that no matter what, we should see the first signs of what will more and more be our steady climb--"growth, PROGRESS". But NOW?
It hurts to admit that we were ALL more full of hope after LAST season's opener than we are tonight after THIS one. And I just cannot find much reason or hope that better evidence is on its way as the season plays out.
I have to admit this now:
I just cannot currently FACE another season of DIMMING hopes. Not with all our rivals on the definite upswing--That just rubs our FACES in our floundering out here in the wasteland...a "sleeping giant" once more??!
That COULD be our eventual fate, the way things are going.

Escambia94

Ouch. The Gators outgained the Utes and still lost, largely due to undisciplined play and creative stupidity. It was hard to tell if it was the Ute's suffocating defense or the Gators' inept rushing offense, but this was a bad outing for the Gators. Despite the bad optics, transfer QB Graham Mertz performed rather well, and did former transfer WR Ricky Pearsall. The Utah rushing offense was not as explosive, so there could be signs that the Gator rushing defense is adequate.
StatsFloridaUtah
1st Downs1714
3rd down efficiency1-133-13
4th down efficiency2-50-0
Total Yards346270
Passing333165
Completions-Attempts31/4415-23
Yards Per Pass7.67.2
Interceptions10
Rushing13105
Carries2130
Yards Per Carry0.63.5