• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Could Meyer surpass Spurrier in Gators fans' hearts?

Tigers1996

Gator Fan
An interesting question. The builder or the renovator. I choose the renovator because he is taking Florida to new heights.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I'm sorry, I love what Meyer has done. But how soon we forget where Florida was before Spurrier got here. Without Spurrier, there would be no Meyer right now.

Tigers1996

Gator Fan
Under Spurrier, Florida was a little more than what Texas Tech is right now, with better talent. What Spurrier did was recruit the talent that was outside his front door. He a good innovator and the first to exploit Florida's natural recruiting advantage at Florida. Meyer however is making Florida into a national powerhouse with players like Aaron Hernandez, Justin Trattou, Carlos Dunlap, and Moody. I credit Spurrier for buidling the program up to level it was when he left.

Dont forget your past. Embrace it. OU's kings of football are Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bob Stoops. There have been other successful coaches but these three stand above the rest in Sooner lore. When Switzer left, 3 coaches tried to get OU back to the power it was. None could for whatever reason. Stoops called on the successes of OU past to embrace them and show his young guys what Oklahoma football was about. No one brought Switzer back to the locker room for inspiration. Bob did. I'm not saying this is why Bob brought OU back to power, but its alot better embracing past heroes than too spend all the time trying to make your own.

I guess I'm saying, dont forget Spurrier. He should always have a place in your hearts for what hes done for Florida. Dont ever forget that.

ShortBus

VIP Member
Dont forget your past. Embrace it. OU's kings of football are Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bob Stoops. There have been other successful coaches but these three stand above the rest in Sooner lore. When Switzer left, 3 coaches tried to get OU back to the power it was. None could for whatever reason. Stoops called on the successes of OU past to embrace them and show his young guys what Oklahoma football was about. No one brought Switzer back to the locker room for inspiration. Bob did. I'm not saying this is why Bob brought OU back to power, but its alot better embracing past heroes than too spend all the time trying to make your own.

I guess I'm saying, dont forget Spurrier. He should always have a place in your hearts for what hes done for Florida. Dont ever forget that.

i don't think any of us true Gator fans will EVER forget what Spurrier has done for Florida Football. But IMHO Meyer has already surpassed what Spurrier has done. and honestly I think he's a better coach. I'm thankful and always will be thankful for Spurrier bringing Gator Nation to new heights and into the national spotlight.

Tigers1996

Gator Fan
For It's Time The Offense Was Texas Tech like? High Powered Offense, Little or No Defense Until Stoops brought defense. Then when Stoops left for Oklahoma the offense continued and the defense went south. Just like when Mike Stoops left, defense and clutch winning left Oklahoma.

Tigers1996

Gator Fan
To prove my point, Nebraska destroyed Florida in 1995 because there was no defense. Fast forward Oklahoma destroys Texas Tech because they had no defense.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

We will never forget what Spurrier has done, but some Gator fans idolize Spurrier overzealously to the point that if anybody makes any negative comment about him, it's considered blasphemous to these folks. There are also a few what are still peeved over the fact that SOS didn't come back here after Zook was fired, and they need to get over that.

In the end, I'm glad Urban Meyer came to Florida. Look what he's accomplished in four short years! Spurrier raised the bar, but Meyer has raised it even higher - and he ain't done yet.

inthestands

Gator Fan
People are treating this like it is a best coach competition. This isn't about who is the better coach, it is about who we hold most dear in our hearts. To that, no one will ever surpass Spurrier, he just WAS and IS a Gator. He played here and coached here, he loved us too. This is not to say that Meyer should be almost there, or even equal. But no one should pass Spurrier unless Wuerful came to coach, and we all know that's not gonna happen. Maybe after his NFL career Tebow will come coach here. Reguardless, why is this even an issue? All of these men are GREAT ambassadors for the University of Florida. That is all we should be talking about. Not this, not, Who is more dear to us Wuerful or Tebow? This should not be a competition. These guys are ALL Gators and always will be. That is all we need to know. Let's let all those who weren't fortunate enough to be Gators worry about the rest.

inthestands

Gator Fan
And why is that?

Because Spurrier was always a Gator, he didn't become one. He gave everything but just couldn't work with Foley. And like I said, don't make this a competition of who the better coach is. These guys are all Gators, why do we have to love one more than the other anyways. This is something we should let non-Gator fans talk bout anyways. All of the guys I mentioned in my post will always be loved by Gator fans. We shouldn't be biased towards any of them. Unless we are strictly talking about who is the better coach.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Because Spurrier was always a Gator, he didn't become one. He gave everything but just couldn't work with Foley. And like I said, don't make this a competition of who the better coach is. These guys are all Gators, why do we have to love one more than the other anyways. This is something we should let non-Gator fans talk bout anyways. All of the guys I mentioned in my post will always be loved by Gator fans. We shouldn't be biased towards any of them. Unless we are strictly talking about who is the better coach.

Your quote in bold is exactly my point - I don't know why some of these fans who still think the name of Steve Spurrier is so sacrosanct can't accept the fact that Urban Meyer, in spite of his admiration for that place in South Bend, had dreamed of coaching at UF while he was a ND assistant and decided to become a Gator when it came down to a choice between the two - and thus fully became a Gatorin my book.

In Buddy Martin's bio "Urban's Way", he makes mention of a store clerk who spoke well of Meyer whenever he would come in, and said that SOS was "stuck-up". Boy, if she said that to a die-hard Spurrier-worshipper she would have been torn to shreds. Those types think SOS can't do any wrong, and that to me is hysterical blindness.

I'm glad SOS and Meyer share a special friendship; I hope that perhaps he too will make the trip to Miami and help support the Gators. And if we win, I'm sure Spurrier won't be jealous - he'll be praiseworthy of Meyer for bringing Florida football back to greatness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema