• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Could Meyer surpass Spurrier in Gators fans' hearts?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
We will never forget what Spurrier has done, but some Gator fans idolize Spurrier overzealously to the point that if anybody makes any negative comment about him, it's considered blasphemous to these folks. There are also a few what are still peeved over the fact that SOS didn't come back here after Zook was fired, and they need to get over that.

In the end, I'm glad Urban Meyer came to Florida. Look what he's accomplished in four short years! Spurrier raised the bar, but Meyer has raised it even higher - and he ain't done yet.

I agree that Meyer has raised the bar even higher. However, I disagree about Spurrier raising the bar in the first place. He INVENTED the damn bar at Florida! We were basically Nothing before Spurrer got here. I can't believe there are actually Gator fans out there that think Meyer will surpass Spurrier as a Gator legend. There are few programs out there that have a name synonymous with their program. Just to name a few:

Alabama - Bear Bryant
Florida St. - Bobby Bowden
Penn St. - Joe Paterno
Nebraska - Tom Osborne
Florida - Steve Spurrier

To compare Meyer to what Spurrier did is like comparing nuclear scientists now to what Einstein did. They wouldn't even have a high paying job right now if it wasn't for Big Al!

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I am a big fan of SOS and follow what he does and says with fond interest. Urban Meyer is the coach today and will likely surpass SOS in the record books........ but for 56 years Florida wasn't even an "also-ran" until Steve Spurrier the 'Ol Ball Coach took the reins of our collective football souls and led us to the promised land of Champions. THAT can never be surpassed.
Yet I believe that by the time UM decides to leave it will be after he has continued the Championship legacy and established himself in the UF annals as the best coach to ever pace the sidelines in the "Swamp"

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Yet I believe that by the time UM decides to leave it will be after he has continued the Championship legacy and established himself in the UF annals as the best coach to ever pace the sidelines in the "Swamp"

I sure hope so; he's earned it.

(He's also earned enough status to have a security guard stand outside the men's room when he needs to go answer nature's call - LOL - read it here: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/01/08/hes_a_great_aid_to_gators/)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema