• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Can we get Dan Mullen?

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
I always found him to be a terrific coach potential as well as Gus Malzahn. Would love to see Dan Mullen back at UF as the HC.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I always found him to be a terrific coach potential as well as Gus Malzahn. Would love to see Dan Mullen back at UF as the HC.
Just gotta "anti-up" and see if he goes for it--then "anti-up" some more, if not, 'til "for the sake of my family and their future" kicks in, if we really want him...He's caught up in that whole excitement of "starting something new", "unprecedented success", etc. over there, not to mention the usual "promises to my guys" and "signed a contract"/"sense of honor" (all of which are part of things we LIKE about him, btw)--but EVERYTHING is negotiable and EVERYONE is for sale, that's what this whole GAME is all about, ultimately (exhibit "A", Nick Saban). And we have the bucks, as I say. Oh, we HAVE the money, and more. So if we REALLY want HIM, we can get him, in all likelihood. But who steps up, pulls it all together and goes OUT on that limb?--'cause we ARE talking BIG money.
Not J.Foley--in fact, that's part of how he's so quickly gone from "solid insider" to on the edge of losing HIS job: He chose, went after and basically WEDDED himself to Muschamp ever since. Can't let go, and won't likely stick his neck out like that again. May HAVE to lose him to get ANYTHING done...
Which brings us to my comments regarding what I'm "hearing" regarding HIS "eventual replacement", who "they" (the REAL "insiders"/power people at the heart of our program) want, have apparently even "talked to" for the AD-job--and why, in a weird way, THAT may be the key change, even if it doesn't happen now, and we have to muddle on with another "shot-in-the-dark" like Muschamp with this "next guy", whomever he turns out to be. But then again, we COULD "get it right" this time; maybe Mulllen IS "that guy", and this can get turned around within a few seasons, instead of who-knows-HOW-long
(Oh--and "that potential future AD" might just jump earlier than he plans if HE thinks whomever we get serious about MIGHT be "that guy", 'cause HIS value and even our current seemingly "dire need" may weaken should that happen, then turn out to be the case before he gets here...)

awebbf5

VIP Member
We should start one of those donation things on Facebook but make it for Dan Mullen and see how much money we could raise to help pay him to come back. Sadly I'm serious.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The University of Florida can afford Dan Mullen. I just hope that Jeremy Foley has him on his list. Check out the salaries of these coaches:

Steve Spurrier

South Carolina

SEC

$4,000,000

Jimbo Fisher

Florida State

ACC

$4,000,000

Mark Dantonio

Michigan State

Big Ten

$3,700,000

Mike Gundy

Oklahoma State

Big 12

$3,500,000

Gary Patterson

TCU

Big 12

$3,500,000

Bobby PetrinoLouisville53ACC$3,500,000

Chris PetersenWashington50Pac 12$3,400,000

Mark RichtGeorgia54 SEC $3,400,000

Dan Mullen

Mississippi State

SEC

$3,200,000

Hugh Freeze

Mississippi

SEC

$3,200,000

29Bo PeliniNebraska47Big Ten$3,100,000
Bret Bielema

Arkansas

SEC

$3,000,000

Bill Snyder

Kansas State

Big 12

$3,000,000

Will Muschamp

Florida

SEC

$3,000,000

awebbf5

VIP Member
I do not think Dan Mullen is going to leave Mississippi State. If I were him, I do not think I would.
His team may win the east. I'm really afraid that Foley may not fire muschamp. Anyone got any inside info and what's being said behind closed doors by boosters etc????

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
His team may win the east. I'm really afraid that Foley may not fire muschamp. Anyone got any inside info and what's being said behind closed doors by boosters etc????
I've talked about the Mullen-hire potential already a coupla times--and bottom line, again, is that with OUR cash-reserves, we can HAVE him, if we want him...All the ins'n'outs of that one I've gotten into elsewhere too, though, and won't go over it again here. Let's move on to the more specifically immediate practical question...
Muschamp WILL be gone--and if Foley balks, he's gone too. I can pretty confidently assure everyone that he will NOT be our coach next season--and that is based on MORE than "my opinion" (otherwise, frankly, I'd be paranoidly worrying in exactly the same way, aweb). Trouble is, however, Foley's managed to retain some "wiggle room" on "how and when", in effect "buying time" based on the "Only one bad score", "so close to winning the rest" and "still could turn things around"-theory and scenario; In other words, he's STILL messing around, apparently living in some fantasy world where "if only Will can get some luck go his way and this team wins most of the rest of its games, Driskel suddenly straightens everything out and comes through, making the Muscahmp-hire and subsequent display of (still ongoing) stubbornness on FOLEY'S part (itself almost as bewildering a display of same on his part as has been Muschamp's in so many areas) turn out to seem "right and true", even "visionary" after all, that his OWN by-now-tarnished reputation will be restored. Yes, and then you get to ride away into the golden sunset on your unicorn, Mr AD...
The obvious FACT here, among too many unhappy ones, is not just that Foley seems to have long since attached himself to Muschamp like the Coach has attached himself and HIS fate to Driskel, but the way things are and are headed in accelerating fashion, every week more that Muschamp is here damages us more and more, faster and faster. Deeper and deeper the hole he is digging and burying us in. And Foley begins to look almost as blindly self-destructive in this (completely unnecessary) "Will's-my-guy" thing as Muschamp himself does regarding the similar "Driskel-is-my-guy"ad-infinitum stupidity HE appears (again UNNECESSARILY) stuck in. Even now, today it was announced that although "Harris will play" on Saturday (as I heard it, Roper was/is adamant--not too surprisingly, it has begun a team-rift that is now starting to manifest between Head Coach and OC), Muschamp himself has dictated and had the team release a statement saying the Driskel will start again against Mizzou.
What do you SAY to this kind of thing? We've said it ALL by now, talked about "blindness" and "stubbornness" and "STUPIDITY" and all the rest. Personally, I am all for axing Foley now, too, he's ALREADY earned his fate--but (as I've also "discussed"/hinted-at elsewhere), there's a particular scenario waiting to play out, one that is the "hope and dream"-plan of a number of big-time booster/behind-the-scene mover/shakers of Gator Football that in it's delicate stages and possibilities for perhaps only "eventual" rather than immediate fruition ironically could be SAVING Foley for now--at least buying him more of that TIME he's playing around with at this point. (I know it's kinda lame me "talking around" it like this, but that's how I HAVE to do it, sorry). Anyway, if THAT broke our way some how, Foley's gone now TOO, no matter WHAT, and EVERYTHING will look different, how what who and when we go after for our next Head Coach, etc. All the MORE reason to maybe give Roper a shot at the HC job NOW, ASAP--for his AND our sakes. With distance growing between he and Muschamp, I can see him not being too inclined to "stand by his honor" and refuse to TAKE the "interim Coach"-opportunity now either--not with the way Muschamp has and continues to go back on HIS promises, mess with Roper's freedom to plan, call games and choose the QB he wants and needs in there to do the job. It's frustrating as hell, no doubt--and making him look bad too.
So there's a pretty full answer to a simple Q, "Will WILL be back?"...plus to many of us "the other Q"--"When the HELL can we, WILL we get rid of him?!!"

awebbf5

VIP Member
I've talked about the Mullen-hire potential already a coupla times--and bottom line, again, is that with OUR cash-reserves, we can HAVE him, if we want him...All the ins'n'outs of that one I've gotten into elsewhere too, though, and won't go over it again here. Let's move on to the more specifically immediate practical question...
Muschamp WILL be gone--and if Foley balks, he's gone too. I can pretty confidently assure everyone that he will NOT be our coach next season--and that is based on MORE than "my opinion" (otherwise, frankly, I'd be paranoidly worrying in exactly the same way, aweb). Trouble is, however, Foley's managed to retain some "wiggle room" on "how and when", in effect "buying time" based on the "Only one bad score", "so close to winning the rest" and "still could turn things around"-theory and scenario; In other words, he's STILL messing around, apparently living in some fantasy world where "if only Will can get some luck go his way and this team wins most of the rest of its games, Driskel suddenly straightens everything out and comes through, making the Muscahmp-hire and subsequent display of (still ongoing) stubbornness on FOLEY'S part (itself almost as bewildering a display of same on his part as has been Muschamp's in so many areas) turn out to seem "right and true", even "visionary" after all, that his OWN by-now-tarnished reputation will be restored. Yes, and then you get to ride away into the golden sunset on your unicorn, Mr AD...
The obvious FACT here, among too many unhappy ones, is not just that Foley seems to have long since attached himself to Muschamp like the Coach has attached himself and HIS fate to Driskel, but the way things are and are headed in accelerating fashion, every week more that Muschamp is here damages us more and more, faster and faster. Deeper and deeper the hole he is digging and burying us in. And Foley begins to look almost as blindly self-destructive in this (completely unnecessary) "Will's-my-guy" thing as Muschamp himself does regarding the similar "Driskel-is-my-guy"ad-infinitum stupidity HE appears (again UNNECESSARILY) stuck in. Even now, today it was announced that although "Harris will play" on Saturday (as I heard it, Roper was/is adamant--not too surprisingly, it has begun a team-rift that is now starting to manifest between Head Coach and OC), Muschamp himself has dictated and had the team release a statement saying the Driskel will start again against Mizzou.
What do you SAY to this kind of thing? We've said it ALL by now, talked about "blindness" and "stubbornness" and "STUPIDITY" and all the rest. Personally, I am all for axing Foley now, too, he's ALREADY earned his fate--but (as I've also "discussed"/hinted-at elsewhere), there's a particular scenario waiting to play out, one that is the "hope and dream"-plan of a number of big-time booster/behind-the-scene mover/shakers of Gator Football that in it's delicate stages and possibilities for perhaps only "eventual" rather than immediate fruition ironically could be SAVING Foley for now--at least buying him more of that TIME he's playing around with at this point. (I know it's kinda lame me "talking around" it like this, but that's how I HAVE to do it, sorry). Anyway, if THAT broke our way some how, Foley's gone now TOO, no matter WHAT, and EVERYTHING will look different, how what who and when we go after for our next Head Coach, etc. All the MORE reason to maybe give Roper a shot at the HC job NOW, ASAP--for his AND our sakes. With distance growing between he and Muschamp, I can see him not being too inclined to "stand by his honor" and refuse to TAKE the "interim Coach"-opportunity now either--not with the way Muschamp has and continues to go back on HIS promises, mess with Roper's freedom to plan, call games and choose the QB he wants and needs in there to do the job. It's frustrating as hell, no doubt--and making him look bad too.
So there's a pretty full answer to a simple Q, "Will WILL be back?"...plus to many of us "the other Q"--"When the HELL can we, WILL we get rid of him?!!"
I hope its soon, its sad but maybe if we lose to Mizzou thats the final straw

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hope its soon, its sad but maybe if we lose to Mizzou thats the final straw

"Agree", but...no guarantee that things work out there no matter WHICH way that goes. Muschamp's team will NOT win out, won't do better than go 50/50 even once Treon starts, and with Foley stuck in his own circle-of-stubborn-stupidity, nothing short of say, 4 or 5 straight losses , Driskel still IN there, may get he and his "mistake" (henceforth that may be our soon-to-be-former Head Coach's tag, "Foley's Mistake") out of here before the day-AFTER the last game of the regular season. And it's HARD for us to "root" for that kind of actual losing streak. Mind you, this team's level of play has already been so putrid so much of the time, and so little change would required to "accomplish" that dubious "goal", that in the event it happened what we'd be watching each Saturday, and how frustratingly excrutiating it'd be to suffer through, would in practical terms be little different anyway. Again, though, it'd be difficult to hope for such outcomes, and hard to rationalize doing so as we witness it. Makes recovering from them, emotionally, that much easier, though--but that just smacks of a "defense mechanism", a way to make it hurt less. Will still hurt, no matter what, trust me. This is gonna be just a bitter pill to swallow, swallow repeatedly no less, the longer it goes on. Just one more reason, or one more part of the same BIG reason, that it be mercifully ended, that Muschamp at least (and maybe Foley too, now) be cut loose sooner rather than later.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am sick and tired of being the laughing stock of SEC football. I honestly do not care who the next head coach is. Give me a rapist, crab stealing QB and a stupid head coach that overlooks his QB's flaws and just does what it takes to win. Heck, if the NCAA is okay with cheating, raping, and stealing to win, then I want in on that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am sick and tired of being the laughing stock of SEC football. I honestly do not care who the next head coach is. Give me a rapist, crab stealing QB and a stupid head coach that overlooks his QB's flaws and just does what it takes to win. Heck, if the NCAA is okay with cheating, raping, and stealing to win, then I want in on that.
(laughing) Agreed. Not proud of myself, but there it is.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
How accurate do you think this is?[/QUOTE]
Yeah--saw this one...and I go with the "Throw out Mack Brown and ANYONE named Shanahan"-theory--the former shouldn't even be considered, and the latter WON'T be. Never mind "friendly with Foley" either--that is no longer exactly an "in" with the Gators, gar as the big boosters are concerned. Foley's actually "fighting" (well, actually,"having to maneuver") to keep HIS job now. Mendenhall may be TOO much "the outsider" (and we may well be "too outside" for HIM, coming from BYU to US). That just leaves the other TWO, from this list at least. Any others come to mind?

awebbf5

VIP Member
I think Mullen and freeze are the top names right now. If you can do it at those schools imagine what you can do here.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
AND they won't leave their schools. Plus Mullen and Foley do not get along with each other. Mullen is a 60% coach and I do not want a constant 8-6 coach.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema