• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After loss to Georgia, where do the Gators go from here?

travisduncan

Gator Fan
uspw_6692228.jpg

Oct 27, 2012; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Florida Gators quarterback Jeff Driskel (6) misses the hand off to running back Mike Gillislee (23) during the first quarter at EverBank Field. Kevin Liles-US PRESSWIRE

By Travis Duncan
Gator Envy Writer

"In that situation, just got to have better ball security," a resigned Will Muschamp said after his football team lost to Georgia and very likely its hope for an SEC Championship game appearance.

"Again, don't fault the effort."

No, do not fault the effort of the 2012 Florida Gator football team. They have given it everything, against lesser opponents and the great. It led them to a No. 2 BCS ranking and possibly could result in Bowl Championship Series appearance, but likely they will not play in the SEC Title game.

"I think we’ll be fine in the long run," Muschamp continued.

"We just need to push through this. There’s no question – there’s a lot of football to play. I’m very disappointed with the outcome of the game, not disappointed with the effort."

Jeff Driskel showed his youth Saturday; throwing two interceptions and giving up two fumbles. But the Gator offensive line also showed tremendous weakness in pass protection and run blocking. Driskel was sacked five times.

"We played hard," said Driskel.

"We made too many mistakes and that’s what it comes down to. Like I said, we are just going to have to keep playing and finish out the season strong."

Up next for the Gators is a home date against Missouri on Saturday, followed by games against Louisiana-Lafayette and Jacksonville State, ending the regular season on the road against Florida State on Nov. 24th.

In a season which has been almost defined by the uneasiness of over-achievement and the snare of looking ahead, it's hard not to look ahead to the Florida State game as yet another make or break game. A game which could determine the post season fate of the Gators and most importantly the legacy of the 2012 season.

As it stands now the 2012 Gators will be known for their effort.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Coach Muschamp achieved his goal of being over-achieving. Most of us expected the Gators to end up 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4 if asked earlier in the year. What is disappointing is that we were on the edge of something special, and those faults that we always knew of--the offense and the penalties--caught up with us.

This could spell doom against FSU, since FSU and UGA are built somewhat similarly to one another. If the Gators do not improve, expect the Noles to close out our season with a game just as ugly as this one, but with a much uglier score. If the Gators hit the locker room and the videotape this week and mount a resurgence starting with Mizzou, then the Gators can salvage the season and end up 11-1.

Think about it. 11-1 is not bad at all! I still look at this team as an 8-4 team that has over-achieved to 7-1. I can remember a time when a loss ignited a Gator resurgence. This time, the BCS championship is probably out of reach, but a BCS bowl such as the Sugar Bowl is not out of reach. Just win out.

Escambia94

Where do the Gators go from here? I am comfortable with assuming the next "big rock" in the road is FSU. BCS bowl selection committees put extra weighting factor on winning the last game of the season, which allows a team like Florida to move around from as "low" as Outback Bowl to as "high" as Sugar Bowl.

Here are the bowl predictions from three sources:
  • SEC #5 vs ACC #2: Chick-fil-A Bowl
    • CBS: Clemson vs. Mississippi State
    • ESPN-Schlabach: Clemson vs. Texas A&M
    • ESPN-Edwards: Clemson vs. Mississippi State
    • Scout: Clemson vs. Mississippi State
    • USA Today-Myerberg: Clemson vs. Texas A&M
    • USA Today-Smith: Clemson vs. Mississippi State
  • SEC #3 or #4 vs B1G #3: Outback Bowl (SEC East preference)
    • CBS: South Carolina vs. Wisconsin
    • ESPN-Schlabach: Nebraska vs. Mississippi State
    • ESPN-Edwards: Nebraska vs. Georgia
    • Scout: Nebraska vs. South Carolina
    • USA Today-Myerberg: Florida vs. Nebraska
    • USA Today-Smith: Nebraska vs. South Carolina
  • SEC #3 or #4 vs Big 12 #2: Cotton Bowl (SEC West preference)
    • CBS: LSU vs. Oklahoma
    • ESPN-Schlabach: Texas Tech vs. LSU
    • ESPN-Edwards: Oklahoma State vs. LSU
    • Scout: Texas Tech vs. LSU
    • USA Today-Myerberg: Texas vs. South Carolina
    • USA Today-Smith: West Virginia vs. LSU
  • SEC #2 vs B1G #2: Capital One Bowl
    • CBS: Georgia vs. Michigan
    • ESPN-Schlabach: Wisconsin vs. Georgia
    • ESPN-Edwards: Florida vs. Michigan
    • Scout: Georgia vs. Michigan
    • USA Today-Myerberg: Georgia vs. Michigan
    • USA Today-Smith: Georgia vs. Michigan
  • BCS (SEC tie-in) vs BCS: Sugar Bowl
    • CBS: Florida vs. Louisville
    • ESPN-Schlabach: Florida vs. USC
    • ESPN-Edwards: South Carolina vs Oklahoma
    • Scout: Florida vs. Oklahoma
    • USA Today-Myerberg: LSU vs. Oklahoma
    • USA Today-Smith: Florida vs. Oklahoma
The consensus seems to be that Florida will survive and get to the Sugar Bowl. Should the Gators falter against FSU, then the Gators would wind up in the Capital One or the Outback.

Personally, I see the Gators rallying and making it to the Sugar Bowl. Even the paid sports pundits seem to agree that Georgia did not earn the BCS invitation over Florida. One pundit even picked South Carolina over Georgia, should the BCS selection committee get to pick by hand.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94, travisduncan, & everyone ELSE who regularly joins us here:
OUCH! This one's gonna hurt for awhile...and E-, since you have stepped forward from your typically even-tempered, rational POV to take the mantle of the "Clear-Eyed, Ready-to-Bounce-Back Realistic Gator" (and E-, hats off TO ya, but I don't know HOW you can even go to the "outside sites", let alone monitor the TV shows and media pundits for their pontificating revisionism now--I just don't wanna KNOW what any of those pea-brained, loud-mouthed yahoos have to say about OUR TEAM...for a good while I will come to this sight alone, get my news and views from all of you--even had trouble clicking on THIS column's headline and did so only out of respect and appreciation for travis' work--and BTW: it's possible I did too much of my drinking today, in the aftermath, and not enough of it yesterday during the game--as I commented elsewhere, I felt EVERY bump, bruise, failure and assault in the most personal way in the course of that debacle) where was I? Oh yeah--you are for the moment the figure representing ONE Gator POV to whom I, a Gator with another POV, address my response:
Muschamp's gonna say what he needs to say that says more to his TEAM than to any of us. He makes a good point worth taking by all of us in not going overboard here, not getting too down on what is still OUR TEAM...but that is MUCH more about setting the tone for what he is and will be saying to his team, as individuals AND a group that just failed a big test, let themselves and each OTHER down.
Nothing wrong with the "effort"--but there was a LOT more than that going on out there yesterday, from the very START (2 fumbles in the first 3 plays-from-scrimmage, if you'll recall). Look, I'm not going to dwell on it, but even with so many things going against us--biggest of all the way it was "officiated", "COUNTER-officiated" is more like it, the Stripes doing more to affect Georgia positively and Florida negatively than in any one of these I have ever seen, and I've seen, let's see, maybe 40 Cocktail Parties, attending a dozen?--we just blew a bunch of chances to first dominate, then later still "steal" this game with our fumbles, INTs and other mistakes. You can talk about "things that caught up to us", but the worst of it was the way we reverted to things we HADN'T been doing this year, carelessness in the redzone, leaving points on the field...I could go on, but never mind. Effort? Not a problem...but we were the team with the jitters, who kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Yes, a lot was taken away from us, chances our defense earned for us poisoned or stolen outright over and over again--we shouldn't have HAD to be in the position we were in on that last failed-drive, with a chance to possibly tie it 'til the one UGA player who was going OFF punched the ball from Reed's hand. Yet we were fortunate to have even THAT one last hope, and even that was tainted by our player's mistake, the normally reliable, sure handed and clear-headed kid trying too much--didn't you, like myself, think "No!" as he leapt into the closing vise of those defenders inside the 5 instead of just going down and giving us the chance from there?--a final wrenching ripping-out-of-our-pounding hearts that epitomized the whole game. Effort, near TOTAL--but somehow out-of-sync too much of the time. What, if anything, can be done about that, moving forward?
As for the future you address, through next weekend right on to the FSU game and beyond into the New Year, well, I'll leave that to you and anyone else who has the stomach for it now. What I see, the only thing I can see with any clarity at all, is that we are starting over--in every way that matters. What we or anyone else expected of us at the beginning of this season is irrelevant now. We are better than even any of us thought, and although we may have been well aware of our weaknesses and potential for dedeat, so it was/is with virtually every other TEAM out there. We WERE getting steadily stronger, and things appeared to be falling our way--as you yourself put it E-, we "were on the verge of something special". We all felt it, and so did this team. The idea that we could now "salvage" an 11-and-1 season shows how far we have come and how much was torn from our growing giddy sense of hope. Well, we still have some things to accomplish this year, even if it ISN'T some ultimate magic, doing-it-with-mirrors, arriving-a-year-early "SURPRISE!" the last few weeks filled us all with.
So we start over. Play with pride and passion and go from here. Back to the grind, "One game at a time"--and see where it leads, never mind "where we're ranked" or what anyone ELSE does, let alone what BOWL "they" say we are likely to play in if this or that happens.
Play the next game, and play for and WITH each other. Let our hard work and EFFORT carry us forward. We can assess this season when we get to the END of it.

Escambia94

@dru2012: Yes, it hurts. However, my favorite sports statistician, Jeff Sagarin, still ranks the Gators pretty high--#4, behind Bama, Notre Dame, and K-State. Sagarin's rankings are in the BCS formula. If the Gators win out, this is where the BCS will place these four when it counts. Yes, it hurts to lose to Georgia, especially in the short term immediately after the loss, but the media are not punishing the Gators for losing to a rival. The Dawgs' Jarvis Jones got credit for throwing the Gators off balance and into a turnover fest. "They" are not as harsh on the Gator offense as we presumed they would be. The Gator Nation is being harder on Jeff Driskel for the turnovers than any other fan base. As a matter of fact, I have seen lots of sports media saying that only the Gators could have hung on so close despite having six turnovers.

In related news, Georgia's path to the SEC CG is paved with gold. Ole Miss has the better chance of upsetting UGA, but some pundits actually would rather have Florida in the Sugar Bowl than SEC East champion Georgia! This defies logic, but that is what they are saying now, with the exception of Edwards at ESPN.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Another potential silver lining is that it's highly unlikely that any other team will come looking to grab our OC. Which will hopefully mean an improved O next year.

Escambia94

Another way to look at this is that Ole Miss hung in pretty close with aTm. It took Johnny Football's 129 yards rushing for aTm to seal the win against a supposedly weak Ole Miss. I really do not care to see if Ole Miss upsets Georgia, but there is a chance given Ole Miss' close loss to aTm that they can upset Georgia.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Another potential silver lining is that it's highly unlikely that any other team will come looking to grab our OC. Which will hopefully mean an improved O next year.
Hadn't even considered that--I figured he was here for a few seasons anyway, regardless--but you're right, this year's offense would seem to camouflage his real talent. However, I think we'll see somewhat of an "outburst" by the Gator offense before this is all over, first of all, and I have little doubt that by the end of NEXT season it'll be a different story. Here's hoping he won't make that jump until we've won a coupe or three Nat'l Championships and his secret "Dream Job" is offered him. In the meantime, I know he is well paid (high end of OC-scale) thanx to our AD and UF Endowment-largesse, who'll be unflinching in preemptively offering substantial sweetening to keep him here as that offense comes into its own.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94
OK OK--I understand your considering these possibilities, E-, I guess I appreciate getting these tidbits from you (since I WILL NOT watch it myself right now), and even agree with your analysis based on all of it, but I am serious about believing it is irrelevant now--in fact was ALWAYS irrelevant in a season where we are exceeding our own expectations, are learning as we go, and (as it turns out) were so new to the level we had found ourselves at that we were capable of just completely floundering like that, of beating ourSELVES so badly--and I hope everyone here will understand if I am steadfast after this about stepping away from the "outside stuff", the hype, the projections, especially looking ahead past the game right in front of us. Best we get this out of our system right now.
It's not just our team that needs to do this. "One Game At a Time" is the way to go for all of us: it surrounds our team with the right attitude, and it continues to feed back between them and us. Staying cool and calm, on an even keel is a learned response, one you see in leaders, heroes and winners. The more it's "around", the more natural it is to go with it. Let's help ourselves and this team "go with it".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS I don't know if this is something we must rise above, as part of "staying cool and calm", or if it is only natural for young men to be ANGRY at such things, as I am, and coaches and team leaders therefore to explicitly acknowledge it and make it part of the underlying motivation for going on from here with "quiet anger" as well, but I'm referring to Patton's injury, a broken arm suffered on that really egregious non-call/horsecollar where he is slammed to the ground, knocking him out for the rest of the season...I am furious myself, and am certain of one thing at least: They show that sequence to the team at the start of "Cocktail Party Week" NEXT year. Oh yes, there will be a different result.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema