• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who Can Tell?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
At this point, mid-May and by now having seen Billy reorganize his staff to such a degree, to have witnessed such drastic moves in recruiting and the transfer portal--to even find us now once again actually somehow chasing Cormani (or perhaps more accurately, "to find Cormani and family chasing US now"), to feel the very real change in attitude among EVERYONE CLOSE to the team and program, a kind of "sneaky confidence"--a "waiting in the weeds, gonna POUNCE!" kind of positivity (where even the former dark foreboding that the schedule once brought now appears to have shifted to a kind of difident "This is why we CAME to Florida!" attitude among players AND fans).
I cannot point to any single "turning point", though I could certainly identify a number of "slowly mounting changes" building, accumulating momentum day-by-day, week-by-week, even now.
For SURE it has been keyed and led by Billy himself--his moves and general attitude:
The "WIN or ELSE" situation appears to have freed him somehow...We ALL seem to accept that it all really DOES now simply come down to THAT.
And for Coach and players, anyway, that DOES seem to simplify everything , eliminate a lot of the BS.
If anything, "expectations" are cut down to size, "realistic" rather than "overblown" this time.
Now, this could change in the course of the season, but as things stand well in advance of Game One (against Miami: fair or not, an opening match-up I cannot recall similarly rivaled in importance as an indicator of future success in DECADES), it would seem that if we win that opener then go on to eke out a winning season Coach ought to keep his job and at least get a season or two with DJ Lagway under center...In fact, many would secretly grant that an "8-and-4" season against this, supposedly "the toughest schedule in CFB in 2024", SHOULD buy our Coach a couple more seasons here., anyway. But given the topsy turvy changeability in today's ongoing "slippery underfooting" in college football, who can really say?
Sort of "cleans up the board", doesn't it?
Win say EIGHT, and he (and all of US) get another season or two "to SEE what we really can DO"!
DROP BELOW .500 again and it's over for Billy--and probably for a generation while everything that will need to be changed IS changed and the UF program is completely rebuilt.
For Billy, though, HE finally has most of the people he wants around him now, on the field AND on the sidelines (though still a season or two from having them all fully functioning TOGETHER), do if he can just BEGIN to get them to begin to become what he envisions them to BE now, win enough to keep his job another season AND then truly begin to unveil what he plans for them to BE in years ahead...
Well, that's "The Plan".
A close-run thing, obviously:
A few things go his way, and it's all there ahead, waiting for him, for them...for US.
A few things go the other way (a missed tackle, a thrown shoe), and opportunity, GLORY passes us by like a ghost in the night: Coach is gone and we spend another decade-PLUS in the wilderness.
I sure hope we all get to experience the FORMER, obviously.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Gator media and fans made this mess themselves by being impatient. It took UF 90 years of going through football coaches before the program won a national championship with Steve Spurrier—and we were lucky to get him as a former Heisman winner who played a little bit of NFL football with some coaching experience in the offensive laboratory known as the USFL. The stars lined up for Florida back in 1989-1990 as the program was floundering under a second NCAA probation with Spurrier becoming available just in time —and with UF leadership changing out around the same time. Also remember that the Gator boosters who gained political power under Charley Pell get credit for sticking around for a decade of NCAA probation and they were critical to funding major improvements under Spurrier. UF got lucky again with Urban Meyer, who was a hotshot coach who would go on to win two national championships at Florida and one at some other school. Coaches like Spurrier and Meyer do not grow on trees. Florida needs to look at the big picture and stop chasing the next Urban Meyer or Steve Spurrier national championship coach and get a coach who will rebuild the program working with the UF President, athletic director, UAA, board of trustees, boosters, fans, and now NIL donors. Florida needs to play the long game and stop recycling coaches every 3-4 years. There is more to winning football games than the head coach, and Billy Napier is the first coach since Meyer to address every detail in rebuilding a program from the top down.

I would be willing to bet money that Napier will do just enough on the field to gain some fan support for next year. I doubt everyone else pouring thousands to millions of dollars into Gator football is going to risk losing all the hidden success Napier has brought or enabled since he arrived. Fans who are not sending thousands to millions of dollars to support the program need to stop calling for the firing of Napier because they are not the ones who will have to pay even more money to get rid of Napier and pay the next coach.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gator media and fans made this mess themselves by being impatient. It took UF 90 years of going through football coaches before the program won a national championship with Steve Spurrier—and we were lucky to get him as a former Heisman winner who played a little bit of NFL football with some coaching experience in the offensive laboratory known as the USFL. The stars lined up for Florida back in 1989-1990 as the program was floundering under a second NCAA probation with Spurrier becoming available just in time —and with UF leadership changing out around the same time. Also remember that the Gator boosters who gained political power under Charley Pell get credit for sticking around for a decade of NCAA probation and they were critical to funding major improvements under Spurrier. UF got lucky again with Urban Meyer, who was a hotshot coach who would go on to win two national championships at Florida and one at some other school. Coaches like Spurrier and Meyer do not grow on trees. Florida needs to look at the big picture and stop chasing the next Urban Meyer or Steve Spurrier national championship coach and get a coach who will rebuild the program working with the UF President, athletic director, UAA, board of trustees, boosters, fans, and now NIL donors. Florida needs to play the long game and stop recycling coaches every 3-4 years. There is more to winning football games than the head coach, and Billy Napier is the first coach since Meyer to address every detail in rebuilding a program from the top down.

I would be willing to bet money that Napier will do just enough on the field to gain some fan support for next year. I doubt!" everyone else pouring thousands to millions of dollars into Gator football is going to risk losing all the hidden success Napier has brought or enabled since he arrived. Fans who are not sending thousands to millions of dollars to support the program need to stop calling for the firing of Napier because they are not the ones who will have to pay even more money to get rid of Napier and pay the next coach.
"AGREED!" to all of the above--especially the last coupla paragraphs. "The LONG GAME" is mainly all we really got now--and a bunch of mainly ignorant johnny-come-latelies who neither know of nor care about little of the program's history or the context under which we envision any hope for its future can not, SHOULD not be the ones who play any part in how that now continues to play out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Along the same line of thinking regarding this thread's title, the latest weird buzz concerning such unanswerable comes from a CFB beat writer for USA Today who comes out projecting Coach Napier gone and "Coach Prime" in as Gators Head Coach in 2025.
Now, aside from having to admit that as a longtime alumnus and fan I cannot imagine a less desirable devopment, this has got to be the most egregious example of transparent "clickbait" we have encountered YET.
I mean, there is a lot of rampant idiocy being spent around out there, but can this really be seriously seen as anything ELSE?
Check out today's article if you dare: Though frankly I hesitate to contribute to this ongoing foolishness by mentioning it, I AM interested in reactions from Gators who dip a toe in this stinking bog of BS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema