• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 6 Reaction: Gators beat Vanderbilt on Homecoming, 38-14.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
At least we were able to get some playing time for the third team.
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
Graham Mertz30/362547.130
Max Brown4/4266.500
Kahleil Jackson0/100.001
Total34/412806.831

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let’s hear it. Gators will have problems getting many more wins playing like this, right @DRU2012 ?
You KNOW how I see things, at this point.
South Carolina is probably the next lowest team in ranking the SEC--where (based solely on TODAY'S game) Vandy is lowest. We are next worst, then the Gamecocks--probably with less talent (when we are healthy) but at the moment nonetheless above US with the THIRD worst team in the East--maybe the whole league.
WE have looked COMPLETELY over-matched on the road early so far (another thing our Coach can't seem to learn, let alone master), so healthy or not I believe this gives them the edge NEXT Saturday.
Who knows, maybe he DOES somehow get a few things right, pushes a few buttons, in desperation opens up the offense and we pull off a close win--but after that, I simply don't see even a long-odds SHOT at a win.
Where does THAT leave us at season's end?
You tell ME...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
(Don't you need to combine MERTZ"S line before and after his injury sat him down for a series?--I assume that's what its current set up lacks above, am I right? Not crucial, really--but I know you like to get these things down RIGHT.)
...Actually, FURTHER consideration reveals that in truth that FOURTH entry in the passing game stats IN FACT signifies the COMBINED totals of OUR offense's passing statistics, regardless of QB.
Mea Culpa...my apologies.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, UK, the team that ANNIALATED us last week is getting hammered even worse by a Georgia program that once-upon-a-time not so long ago WE measured our OWN level of progress by. Not any more, and not anytime soon it seems.
A quick scan of the fan-catering sites gives a pretty clear view of how far folks are still willing to bend in restored hope and patience, albeit for a likely limited period of time: SOME "wiggle room" remains for team and Coach, it seems--but NOT endless buckets of either: The limits appear realistically limited in their scope. The message to our Coach OUGHT to be interpreted as:
"LESS smooth talking and more fiery honesty; Above all, stick with the young guys, fix the mistakes--and ADAPT ADAPT ADAPT!!!"
Show us you're making changes, making progress, are somehow on the way to being a better COACH--leading a stronger team and program!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I saw the second half, most of it. I will take it (a win is a win) though the Vandy QB did well against the Gators D.
Yes--but I STILL say the refs totally MISSED the blatant facemask on our best DB that sprung their WR for the catch and long early TD.
For the most part our defense recovered its poise somewhat over last week's poor performance against UK. But watching Kentucky completely surrendering to Georgia later only further solidified my deepening unhappiness with where WE are at, and where we're headed:
In this dawning "Age of Paid Parity" in CFB, we just do not measure UP.
That applies so far on every level, to every aspect of play. We may be improving the talent level, but so far I don't see similar progress in the just-as-vital areas of coaching and play-calling--supposedly the very strengths that (along WITH "talent evaluation") were at the heart of our bringing Napier here in the FIRST place.
"HOPE springs eternal" and all, so I could still be merely overreacting--simply blind to what will turn out to be the about-to-emerge great surge in Gator across-the-board improvements.
WITHOUT that, however, we will remain a mediocre program: One that is at or near the bottom of the currently much-reduced-in-status SEC.
The one thing where we are "Number One" it seems is in Vastly Overpaying Mediocre Coaches.
THAT is our about-to-be inescapable fate.

Last edited:

Escambia94

I listened to the film study podcasts and noted the following:
- Napier added several Air Raid concepts to the Vanderbilt game plan. Net result 28 air yards completed versus 110 air yards incomplete. Hypothetically if Mertz had connected on 50% of the deep passes Mertz would have another 55 air yards plus 40-80 yards safety catch.
- Princely Umanmilien graded out as an A as edge rusher.
- Tre Wilson scares opposing defenses.
- Montrell Johnson has excellent vision and hits the holes better than Etienne but without the threat of an explosive run unless the offensive line creates that second level gap.
- Kalheil Jackson’s flanker pass probably would have worked if the Vanderbilt safety were not that good.
- Jason Marshall’s temper tantrum cost the Gators an 80-yard TD, but without that the defense only gave up one explosive play.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I listened to the film study podcasts and noted the following:
- Napier added several Air Raid concepts to the Vanderbilt game plan. Net result 28 air yards completed versus 110 air yards incomplete. Hypothetically if Mertz had connected on 50% of the deep passes Mertz would have another 55 air yards plus 40-80 yards safety catch.
- Princely Umanmilien graded out as an A as edge rusher.
- Tre Wilson scares opposing defenses.
- Montrell Johnson has excellent vision and hits the holes better than Etienne but without the threat of an explosive run unless the offensive line creates that second level gap.
- Kalheil Jackson’s flanker pass probably would have worked if the Vanderbilt safety were not that good.
- Jason Marshall’s temper tantrum cost the Gators an 80-yard TD, but without that the defense only gave up one explosive play.
Aha! So based on this I can see why yours might be a substantially more optimistic outlook than my own:
Taken together, it would seem we are "just that close!" to being an effective, perhaps even dominant TEAM. Our Coach IS beginning to show imagination and flexibility, so given time and a couple more good-to-great recruiting cycles we may actually BE the hard-charging, up'n'coming young program that annually competes for its spot in the CFB Playoffs...
At least that's what one might be able to realistically envision if everything were indeed to continue on track--AND properly "fall into place"...IF you are right, "and the Football Gods are kind".

Escambia94

I am optimistic that one of two things is true:
1. Napier realized that the offense he used at Louisiana as developed at Arizona, Alabama, and Clemson needed to be modified for modern defenses and he happened to have an Air Raid guy on staff (Russ Callaway) to help.
2. Scott Stricklin and some boosters sat down with Napier and highly suggested he make some tweaks before they force their hand. RUMINT: there seems to be pressure to make an external hire for an OC in December/January.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema