• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 10: Florida Gators vs South Carolina Gamecocks 11/6/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

The 4-4 Florida Gators head to the Cock Pit at Williams-Brice Stadium to take on the 4-4 South Carolina Gamecocks for the 42nd time in this rivalry match-up that dates to 1911. Fun fact: South Carolina is Florida's oldest rival, but these two teams did not meet regularly until SC joined the SEC in 1992. Florida is 29-3-9 all-time against the Cocks. The last two Gamecock coaches to defeat Florida were former Gator coaches: Will Muschamp in 2017 and Steve Spurrier in 2014, 2013, 2011, and 2010. This is Shane Beamer's first year as a head coach, and his second stint at SC with his first being the OLB, ST, and SC coach from 2007-2010 under Steve Spurrier. The Gators are favored by 18 and the O/U is 52.5.

Here is a summary of South Carolina's season so far:
DateOpponentResult
09/04/21​
Eastern Illinois*​
W 46–0​
09/11/21​
at East Carolina*​
W 20–17​
09/18/21​
at No. 2 Georgia​
L 13–40
09/25/21​
Kentucky​
L 10–16
10/02/21​
Troy*​
W 23–14​
10/09/21​
at Tennessee​
L 20–45
10/16/21​
Vanderbilt​
W 21–20​
10/23/21​
at No. 17 Texas A&M​
L 14–44

The Cocks' best game was the season opener against powerhouse Eastern Illinois (1-8). They needed a field goal as time expired to get past East Carolina (4-4). The Cocks may have the same 4-4 record, but they got here very differently.

Here is a summary of the Gator's season so far:
DateOpponentResult
09/04/21​
Florida Atlantic*​
W 35–14​
09/11/21​
at South Florida*​
W 42–20​
09/18/21​
No. 1 Alabama​
L 29–31
09/25/21​
Tennessee​
W 38–14​
10/02/21​
at Kentucky​
L 13–20
10/09/21​
Vanderbilt​
W 42–0​
10/16/21​
at LSU​
L 42–49
10/30/21​
vs. No. 1 Georgia​
L 7–34

The Gators are near the top of the league in giving the ball away. The Cocks are near the top of the league in taking the ball away. The Gators have one of the top rushing offenses. The Cocks have one of the worst rushing defenses. There really not much to say here. As long as the Gators take care of the ball this should be a 36-20 victory for the Gators.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

The 4-4 Florida Gators head to the Cock Pit at Williams-Brice Stadium to take on the 4-4 South Carolina Gamecocks for the 42nd time in this rivalry match-up that dates to 1911. Fun fact: South Carolina is Florida's oldest rival, but these two teams did not meet regularly until SC joined the SEC in 1992. Florida is 29-3-9 all-time against the Cocks. The last two Gamecock coaches to defeat Florida were former Gator coaches: Will Muschamp in 2017 and Steve Spurrier in 2014, 2013, 2011, and 2010. This is Shane Beamer's first year as a head coach, and his second stint at SC with his first being the OLB, ST, and SC coach from 2007-2010 under Steve Spurrier. The Gators are favored by 18 and the O/U is 52.5.

Here is a summary of South Carolina's season so far:
DateOpponentResult
09/04/21​
Eastern Illinois*​
W 46–0​
09/11/21​
at East Carolina*​
W 20–17​
09/18/21​
at No. 2 Georgia​
L 13–40
09/25/21​
Kentucky​
L 10–16
10/02/21​
Troy*​
W 23–14​
10/09/21​
at Tennessee​
L 20–45
10/16/21​
Vanderbilt​
W 21–20​
10/23/21​
at No. 17 Texas A&M​
L 14–44

The Cocks' best game was the season opener against powerhouse Eastern Illinois (1-8). They needed a field goal as time expired to get past East Carolina (4-4). The Cocks may have the same 4-4 record, but they got here very differently.

Here is a summary of the Gator's season so far:
DateOpponentResult
09/04/21​
Florida Atlantic*​
W 35–14​
09/11/21​
at South Florida*​
W 42–20​
09/18/21​
No. 1 Alabama​
L 29–31
09/25/21​
Tennessee​
W 38–14​
10/02/21​
at Kentucky​
L 13–20
10/09/21​
Vanderbilt​
W 42–0​
10/16/21​
at LSU​
L 42–49
10/30/21​
vs. No. 1 Georgia​
L 7–34

The Gators are near the top of the league in giving the ball away. The Cocks are near the top of the league in taking the ball away. The Gators have one of the top rushing offenses. The Cocks have one of the worst rushing defenses. There really not much to say here. As long as the Gators take care of the ball this should be a 36-20 victory for the Gators.
Frankly, I don’t even know if I’ll watch. Yes, we “SHOULD” win—but that hasn’t meant much in terms of actual outcomes of late.
Either way, I foresee frustration and dissatisfaction regardless. I may well find myself watching TNT instead (the “middle THREE” STARWARS Trilogy, “OUR generation’s mythology”, is on tap).
Only winning all 4 remaining games AND through it all and AFTER multiple clear moves made that show a conscious and determined push towards the drastic rejuvenation of our program can even BEGIN to slow our careening fall-from-grace at this point, and perhaps satisfactorily start building our inertia in the opposite direction.
In other words, even under the best of circumstances it will be some time (and a host of ensuing positive outcomes) before we’ll even BEGIN to retrieve our pride and relative ongoing return to anything like “competitive equality at the highest level”.
For now, just monitoring all that and hoping for an eventual “good outcome—maybe NEXT season” feels like about all we got.
Sorry, guys—that’s just how I see it. I’ll be around—but let’s face it: y’all could probably do without my “downer outlook” now ANYWAY.
For now, then,
“GO GATORS!!!”
“Don’t Back Down!”

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Have already stopped watching; we LOOK like we will lose this. It’ll be “win ugly”, if we somehow manage to pull this out...Apparently, 20 to 30 players were out each day of practice this past week, thanks to flu-bug that tore through team. So we’ll likely get WEAKER as game goes on.
And that’s with us already down AR at QB from concussion.
I’m telling you: this is getting to be one SNAKE BIT Gator team, on top of everything ELSE. Tough to evaluate—but one thing seems clear: Emory is a backup-quality QB at this level...but Mullen has slid far in my estimation as a game strategist AND play-caller, too!
But we just got the lead, in spite of everything. 10 straight passes, zero runs. Weird.
Windy out there, too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just won’t watch this.
We really DO “suck” defensively.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just seems like each time I peak back in, the Gator D is getting gashed for another big running play, somehow sprung by another missed tackle.
We all are seeing the same things, again and again. That includes our Coach.
I guess for ME it has all passed the point of “waiting for him to DO something about it”...
If it seems like I just keep saying the same things over and over again, what else CAN I say??! They simply DO keep HAPPENING: I’m sick of seeing AND saying them, but I guess I had hoped (and EXPECTED) to hear from Y’ALL about it pretty strongly by now TOO!
I’m sorry: I suppose I’d have preferred something in the way of outrage, exhausted frustration similar to my OWN by now!
Have y’all just given up by now yet selves? And if so, how about letting me know if that’s the case: are you all just shutting it down now as fans yourSELVES, at this point?
I’m running on EMPTY now, Gators! I am THIS CLOSE to shutting down, shutting UP for THIS year now—no sh*t!
I am on the verge of being able to continue here only in a somewhat cynical, sarcastically satirical vein where I am reduced to making FUN of this team. With the way so many of these young men came to play, sacrifice and struggle to build a winner, day after day leaving everything out there BEFORE the season even started, only to see it amount to so little here and now, when it counts—THAT is all that keeps me from going down that road, no matter how hard straight and serious analysis and commentary otherwise wears on me, on us all. Much as I am tempted to find some relief in cutting humor, I know that these players are TRYING, that they trust their coaches and have labored hard to no avail!
That isn’t to be belittled nor DISMISSED!
So yeah: Maybe I SHOULD “just shut UP”, after all.
Maybe that’s how this all ends:
“...not with a bang, but with a whimper...”
(“...and with a whimper, I’m SPLITTIN’, folks!”)

Escambia94

This is ugly.

Attachments

• 54405BFC-D085-4FDF-8A31-6844B8B17F3C.jpeg
    54405BFC-D085-4FDF-8A31-6844B8B17F3C.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 93

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just peaked back:
Not surprisingly, we are getting killed.
This is just horrid: we couldn’t run ONE YARD on 2downs—with virtually the game in the line!
Oh my brothers: We are heading for a losing season.
Bye for now, my brothers.
I just cannot WATCH this pile of horse dung.
And I just can’t listen to Mullen’s weird diffidence after each crap performance.
We haven’t looked thus bad, well, since MacDeath, and before.
Aaaannnd another missed tackle and another SC TD.
We are the doormat of the SEC East...right down there with (the barely worse, as it turns out) Vandy Commies. (Apologies to Vanderbilt—I’m just down and disgusted.)
At what point do we a knowledge that for at least the second week in a row, it appears that Mullen had lost his team.
Is THAT not grounds for a complete OVERHAUL?
Yeah, I know I know—all the “reasons” it almost certainly won’t happen.
But let me be among the first to change MY VOTE.
(And BTW: If AR15 is ok to play NOW, WHY HASN’T HE BEEN PLAYING ALL NIGHT?!!)
Anyway, back to my point:
I am now officially in favor of beginning to search for a new Coach. Mullen isn’t gonna get it DONE. If he stays, he’s already a “lame duck”, someone who is cheaper to keep where he is while we wait for someone, ANYONE more competent to surface—a recruiter, first class, with his OWN TALENTED young up’n’comers to gather around him, take us back to the top.
Got NEWS for ya, Gators:
It’s gonna be YEARS before we’re gonna be back. This ISN’T “just one bad season”, boys! This is a FREEFALL DISASTER, after all!

Escambia94

Words. I have none.

Attachments

• 2231425B-4B73-4B50-8855-5EC1488956D1.jpeg
    2231425B-4B73-4B50-8855-5EC1488956D1.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 100

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just want to take this moment to apologize to y’all here at GE (@Leakfan12, @Escambia94, )
To wit:
While I often comment and post threads that are intended as much to “stir things up”, provoke an emotional response and/or evoke a particular P.O.V. we can pretty well assume is pretty widely espoused “out there”, just to get it out there and have us address these things, tonight I more or less “lost it entirely”!
It is only fair then that I boil this all down to two extreme positions (NEITHER of which is likely, purely “TRUE”, in the final analysis:
(1) the whole team was basically hit with the flu this past week—and that HAS to be taken into account here as to how and why a less-talented team rose up and absolutely CRUSHED US...OR
(2) Mullen really HAS “lost this team”; it was considered a “possibility” after LAST week’s game, one in turn CONFIRMED by the 2nd half of THIS one.
If (1) is accepted, well, we just pick ourselves up and go on, see what the rest of the season brings. If it is (2), well, we’ll further “confirm” it soon enough—though when, how and WHAT we’ll then be able to DO about it is just a monstrously insoluble question.
But either way, my rankings contribute practically nothing, probably only further cloud ALL the issues and problems ahead, and reflect badly on me as a fellow fan and his ongoing efforts to both support the team and friends here at GE.
On the one hand, I want to be “frank and honest”, as always, but I admit that like the team and program, I seem to have lost my way, entangled as we ALL are in loss, frustration, disappointment and hopelessness.
I guess we will all have to slowly, carefully find our way OUT of this. If I have gone too far down a destructive road, I will bow to sentiment that seems to want me to withdraw entirely.
Again, I’m sorry—and that far down now too!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I just want to take this moment to apologize to y’all here at GE (@Leakfan12, @Escambia94, )
To wit:
While I often comment and post threads that are intended as much to “stir things up”, provoke an emotional response and/or evoke a particular P.O.V. we can pretty well assume is pretty widely espoused “out there”, just to get it out there and have us address these things, tonight I more or less “lost it entirely”!
It is only fair then that I boil this all down to two extreme positions (NEITHER of which is likely, purely “TRUE”, in the final anslysis:
(1) the whole team was basically hit with the flu this past week—and that HAS to be taken into account here as to how and why a less-talented team rose up and absolutely CRUSHED US...OR
(2) Mullen really HAS “lost this team”; it was considered a “possibility” after LAST week’s game, one in turn CONFIRMED by the 2nd half of THIS one.
If (1) is accepted, well, we just pick ourselves up and go on, see what the rest of the season brings. If it is (2), well, we’ll further “confirm” it soon enough—though when, how and WHAT we’ll then be able to DO about it is just a monstrously insoluble question.
But either way, my rantings contribute practically nothing, probably only further cloud ALL the issues and problems ahead, and reflect badly on me as a fellow fan and his ongoing efforts to both support the team and friends here at GE.
On the one hand, I want to be “frank and honest”, as always, but I admit that like the team and program, I seem to have lost my way, entangled as we ALL are in loss, frustration, disappointment and hopelessness.
I guess we will all have to slowly, carefully find our way OUT of this. If I have gone too far down a destructive road, I will bow to sentiment that seems to want me to withdraw entirely.
Again, I’m sorry—and that far down now too!

No need to apologize. It's not your fault the Gators are playing like crap. That's on the players and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema