• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Top 2011 QB Recruit Jeff Driskel commits to Gators

JvilleJohnny

jeff-driskel.jpg

With Tim Tebow headed to the NFL and redshirt junior John Brantley firmly entrenched as the starter, the 2011 recruiting cycle was targeted by head coach Urban Meyer as the next in which he would lure a top-rated quarterback recruit to the Florida Gators. Meyer has accomplished that goal perhaps earlier than even he expected as Jeff Driskel (Oviedo, FL) committed Monday to wear the orange and blue next year.

Driskel, who originally planned to make his decision at some point over the summer, has formed a budding relationship with quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler that no doubt had a strong influence in his commitment.

He is known for throwing accurate balls with tight spirals and impressed Florida at the Gainesville Nike Camp over the weekend. He named UF his leader shortly after the conclusion of camp and apparently took just a day off before committing to the Gators.

At 6′3″, 225 lbs., Driskel also has aspirations to play baseball, and it is believed that Meyer and head baseball coach Kevin O’Sullivan had previously agreed to let him participate in both sports. However, it is currently unknown whether or not the high school center fielder will pursue his interests on the diamond while at Florida.

Photo Credit: ESPN

FROM OGGOA

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Great signing by Meyer. Driskel has good mobility (he ran a 4.5 40) and could be poised to take over the team after Brantley.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I'm not sure many understand how big this is. Florida has become one of those programs where the biggest thing (and possibly ONLY thing) that scares off recruits is the depth chart. Brantley obviously has the job this year, and possibly the next. Assuming Burton continues his development, he may have the ability to succeed Brantley.

If Driskel keeps his commitment, it will be an interesting competition when Brantley is gone. And we might continue the multiple QB system as Escambia pointed out in another thread.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Coach Meyer said that the next QB recruit coming in to the program has to be a "monster". I really hope he's found his man in Driskel.

I also read that Jeff's interested in playing baseball as well; wonder how Urban feels about a two-sport QB?

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Coach Meyer said that the next QB recruit coming in to the program has to be a "monster". I really hope he's found his man in Driskel.

I also read that Jeff's interested in playing baseball as well; wonder how Urban feels about a two-sport QB?

I too read that he wants to play baseball. I think it will be fine, especially early in his career if he is not a starter right away. I'm pretty sure CI was a QB and played B-ball, but eventually gave up B-ball. Gavin Dickey was a QB and played baseball. I know he played out his career in baseball, not sure about football though. And of course Riley Cooper played baseball both football and baseball until he entered the NFL draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema