• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thoughts on Bama & Auburn to the East

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Honestly I like it just the way it is. However if I had to pick I trade Mizzou for Auburn. I like for the Gators to beat the S--T out of Auburn though they won the last three meeting despite the fact the Gators had the better team. Keep Bama in the west mostly because of the SEC Championship Game.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Honestly I like it just the way it is. However if I had to pick I trade Mizzou for Auburn. I like for the Gators to beat the S--T out of Auburn though they won the last three meeting despite the fact the Gators had the better team. Keep Bama in the west mostly because of the SEC Championship Game.

Agreed, take Auburn and leave Bama in the west.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I would love to see Alabama move to the East. Right now they dodge Florida and Georgia quite frequently, not just in games but in recruiting battles. Make them fight the beasts from the east. The SEC also needs to stop Bama and Georgia from getting favorable byes before critical games.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I would love to see Alabama move to the East. Right now they dodge Florida and Georgia quite frequently, not just in games but in recruiting battles. Make them fight the beasts from the east. The SEC also needs to stop Bama and Georgia from getting favorable byes before critical games.

To be fair, nearly a third of the SEC Championship games have been Florida and Bama.

Escambia94

To be fair, nearly a third of the SEC Championship games have been Florida and Bama.

Agreed. There are a couple ways to look at this. Florida's SOS en route to the championship in '06 and '08 was higher than Bama's. Now with aTm pecking away at the Bama mystique, I want Bama to suffer as much as Florida does having to compete against Georgia on the field and FSU off the field. If the SEC pushes Florida to get rid of the UF-FSU rivalry, I would love to see Florida-Alabama be an annual affair in that slot with Bama now in the East.

In short, I want to see better games, and I want Bama to have to play a tougher SOS.

Escambia94

SOS = Strength of Schedule. The Gators usually have a strong schedule, which is why they balance out those heavy hitters with cupcakes. The haters will make fun of Florida's cupcake schedule, but forget to look at the heavy hitters. Amazingly, few haters are fans of teams with as many highly ranked teams.

To put it simply, Florida has consistently had a top-five strength of schedule since as far back as I can remember.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Thanks! I was trying to puzzle it out, but couldn't wrap my brain around it.

I completely agree, by the way, that very few teams have the "SOS" we do. It's why seeing people love Boise State so much bugs me; hey, like whoever you want, but arguing that a team playing in the MAC deserves a crack at the National Championship is like arguing the Gators can play in the Superbowl. Put Boise State into the ACC or the SEC and they'll not even rank in the top 25.

Escambia94

The SOS also correlates with mass of the defensive and offensive linemen. Will Muschamp has figured this out, as Nick Saban and Les Miles have. This is why those three coaches consistently build teams whose defenses hang around the top ten. What this also means is that those teams have more injuries. Big dudes = big injuries, especially with the Gators transitioning from a very small offense to a big-man offense. It takes 4-5 years to complete that transition.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Thanks! I was trying to puzzle it out, but couldn't wrap my brain around it.

I completely agree, by the way, that very few teams have the "SOS" we do. It's why seeing people love Boise State so much bugs me; hey, like whoever you want, but arguing that a team playing in the MAC deserves a crack at the National Championship is like arguing the Gators can play in the Superbowl. Put Boise State into the ACC or the SEC and they'll not even rank in the top 25.

Honestly I think Boise State has a chance to finish in the top 25 in the ACC since that conference is inconsistent (heck I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Strong's UL team wins that conference in their first season). In the SEC, Boise would get killed. Also Bama playing three teams that can give them fits (VT, Texas A&M, and of course LSU). Maybe Miss State but Mullen's guys are inconsistent plus got hammered by the NCAA. To be fair, ain't Bama fault that Auburn and UT went downhill faster than the Spurs in Game 6. HA HA HA.

Escambia94

The problem is not just SEC teams versus teams from other conferences in one game, but SEC teams versus other conferences over the course of a season--from recruiting, to signing, to scrimmage games, to conference games, to non-conference games, to rivalry games, and then SEC championship games. All this happens before an SEC team meets up with a team from another conference in a big bowl game that may or may not be important to teams not in the national championship hunt or conference championship.

The likes of Boise State, Louisville, and to some degree, FSU, do not have to worry about all that. Meanwhile, the big boys from SEC, B1G, and maybe B12 are beating one another up on the field, on the recruiting trail, and on the coach hiring process. Those teams can win on any given Saturday, but not necessarily 12+ Saturdays against big boy opponents, plus the year-round recruiting processes and coach poaching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema