• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": Reflections on 2009

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
WOW - I can't believe how fast this year went by, but in retrospect i'm glad it's just about over.

As Urban Meyer said, it's been a year of "stuff". It's sad to see him in the state of physical health he's in now, but I'm thankful that he's still maintained his sanity after all the media scrutiny, "the rumor" which finally came to pass with Brian Kelly's hiring at Notre Dame to replace Charlie Weis, Lane Kiffin's shenanigans and the player issues he's had to deal with all year. Right now I'm really praying for Coach, and sometime this weekend I'll light a candle for him at my church. I only hope others in Gator Nation will do the same, or offer words of prayer and encouragement for Coach as he takes this much-needed time off following the Sugar Bowl.

All in all, it wasn't really a bad year for the Gator football team - an undefeated regular season is definitely an accomplishment for these kids in spite of the SECCG loss and some of the scathing criticism of this team that I've seen around cyberspace coming from other fans. Sadly, we say goodbye to Tim Tebow and the rest of this stellar senior class tomorrow night; I can't think of any other player who has had as powerful an impact on Florida football as Timmy has. I cried tears of joy upon hearing of his commitment to the Gators, and likely I'll do the same Friday night when the last whistle blows, albeit in a more pensive mood.

Yet there were downsides as I saw it - kindness of the sports media for the most part. Sure there are some respectable journalists out there - off hand I want to give props to Buddy Martin at Gator Country, Robbie Andreu at the Gainesville Sun, Ben Volin at the Palm Beach Post, S.L. Price at Sports Illustrated and Tony Barnhart at the AJC for their professionalism in covering Gator football without all the sensationalism and controversy that, in my honest opinion, is totally unnecessary. On the other hand, I still express my disgust with the likes of Paul Finebaum, Peter Kerasotis, Andrea Adelson, Mike Freeman and Tim Brando for being nothing more than troublemakers and instigators - trust me, having read their drivel was enough to force me to vomit. Now that Coach Meyer will be taking a brief hiatus, I would hope that the media would exercise some common courtesy and just leave him alone until he returns to the Gators' sideline.

I'm really excited about the incoming recruiting class we have shaping up for 2010. In light of the recent circumstances, I have faith in our coaching staff in that they will make a diligent effort to retain the commitments of those who've already verballed, as well as actively pursue those high on our want list before National Signing Day in early February once the recruiting dead period during the bowls lapses.

If circumstances permit, I plan to attend at least one session of spring practice in 2010 as well as the O&B game this spring to get a sneak preview of what to expect next season. One issue I really hope the coaches address in the off-season is player discipline; even though the media overexaggerated the number and types of incidents the UF football staff has had to handle, the vast majority of these incidents were caused as a result of irrational judgment and immaturity on the part of the players involved. Sure rivals and the media pundits are accusing UF of harboring "thugs" on our roster, but that's going overboard - what the guilty have done is not thuggery, instead it's stupidity - and stupidity that can be prevented by better mentoring and counseling. Keep in mind that a good number of these players come from single-parent homes with an absent father figure, and because of that lack of guidance our coaches need to act in loco parentis, which is the way Coach wants it to be.

Let hacks like Finebaum and Kerasotis keep spewing the vile, disgusting vitriol that they do, but sensible fans will see that Urban Meyer kept his promise this past July when he told the press gathered at a charity golf event sponsored by Pat Dooley, "I'm not going to Notre Dame -EVER." If that alone doesn't tell you that Meyer is a man of integrity, I don't know what more he can do. Still, I wish the media would cease all the false pretense and innuendo; what really incensed me was that Adelson episode when she accused Meyer of calling out Shane Matthews at the Orlando Gator Gathering I had attended late in the spring. I only hinted at the possibility that that's who Meyer was referring to, but Adelson flat out said what she did instead of getting her facts straight, and not only spoiled the event for me but caused a media uproar that was totally uncalled for. The rumors are still flying around after what took place this past weekend with Coach retracting his decision to resign and instead take the LOA, and it's time for this nonsense to stop.

I only hope that we come away from the Sugar Bowl with a win over the Bearcats and start 2010 on a positive note. I'll keep praying for Coach Meyer and his family; if ever I had a chance to interview him or Shelley for a Gator Envy exclusive, I'd be headed to Gainesville with bells on. I only wish I knew of the room set aside for fans to get to speak with Coach while I was attending the Gator Gathering in Daytona Beach last summer, but I hope that in the future I'll actually get a chance to talk to him more in depth.

Anyway, I wish Gator Nation a very happy 2010. Throughout 2009, I've met and talked to many other Gator fans, and along the way I've made friendships that I really want to keep. If ever I get a chance to meet some of my fellow posters here at Gator functions, I would greatly welcome that.

Everybody have a safe and Happy New Year, and remember -

IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!!!:gator::gator::gator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema